rules on fishing bans

nellynb

I just got banned from posting on facebook for advertising an update to my website in my comments window... It was reported as abusive and offensive by someone.

An anti-angling person would find even the most inoffensive angling web site bad so either someone trolls looking for such mentions on Facebook or else you have a friend who really isn't.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Live in flat next to a british waterways canal basin and i have my enviroment agency licence. Fishing has always been prominant here but today the local council have put signs up saying "no Fishing" as the canal basin is owned by british waterways and not the local council is this legal and if it is , is there anyway to over turn it ...many people have been using the basin for fishing, some dont clean up after them selves and occasionally use peoples walls as a urinals. but the majoraty of people who fish here are very resonable and take ll of their rubbish home...what legal grounds do the council and the police have to stop fishing on british water ways canals.

nellynb

RESPONSE:

Perhaps you could get a petition going I'll sign one, the thought of a well supported petition scares the majority of self serving politicians who are forever thinking of personal freebee's, expenses and salaries.

A petition to promote fishing and especially free fishing, that's how we can all help youngsters get started in this great sport/hobby.

Slightly off-topic but in a similar vein, I just got banned from posting on facebook for advertising an update to my website in my comments window... It was reported as abusive and offensive by someone. Facebook are ignoring me even though they have a type of dispute report and they haven't replied to queries through other channels either.

Please check it out in my signature, if you can see anything offensive, let me know as I'll have it removed.

Btw, the more cynical might think this is me advertising but I'm really serious, I've spent quite a long time on this site and was really pleased until now...

Renrag

RESPONSE:

Just put a link to your site on my site http://www.watatoad.com/ you realise you are now in bad company a Toad with attitude...hehehe

But I am not sure how to make the link work, Any advice? Its O.K. all sorted just a time delay

Maybe its time for some of us to consider getting our own pro coarse Angling organisation going, any ideas? pm me or start a thread, cause I ain't going to do all the work alone. Strength in unity...hehehe

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Thanks Rod, I appreciate it. Linked you back. Considering buying my own domain, will update everyone if I do. This should get round the problem.

If we get an online petition going I'd sign it but I couldn't organise such a thing, my political knowledge is zero. I'd also definitely link it.

I have always wanted to help youngsters into fishing, would also be very interested in setting up a group of like minded people to do this but I don't know how to go about it in this day and age.

Got a feeling there will be several light years of red tape and many burning rings of certain defamation to jump through. Am I correct?

As for a Pro-Angling Union? I'm not sure where to start but I'd very much like to be involved, I have the time but not the resources or knowledge of how to proceed.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

If one person can nag BW to get fishing stopped, what about a concerted campaign by the local fisherman to BW to get it reinstated. Letters to the local papers, local TV companies etc. Could even try a Facebook campaign, as they seem to be popular these days. Just keep fishing until some one gets arrested and goes to court. Make sure the court case is well publicised and the one person who did the nagging is named and shamed. Go for it guys !! :bangin::bangin:

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck Piglet, hope you make some headway. Sounds like the curtain twitcher has a loud voice.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Not an angler myself, never understood it!

(So why have I signed up you ask?)

Well, I am a new resident of Tividale Quays and, I suspect, a very close neighbour of piglet1980, by your description of parking problems I think I know your car mate!

I moved in late May and the view and the general canal life was one of the things that sold it to me and I immediately put my deposit down on the flat. I've long been a enthusiast of all things canalside and for someone out at work all day, the prospect of people being regularly on the bank during the day was a plus in my eyes due to the added security and just the ambience of canalside life.

I've been baffled by the sudden ban on angling and deeply suspicious of the little signs which suddenly appeared one day as they didn't look very official - nothing to indicate that were British Waterways or Sandwell Council or anything similar, no contact address or logos or anything. In fact it looks like the sort of thing anybody could have had knocked up and quickly mounted on the lamp posts. I was so suspicious about the whole thing that I've been periodically Googling and speaking to angler friends to see if there was a story behind it, hence finding this post.

As a resident I can assure you that NOBODY has asked me for support on an angling ban or canvassed my views. Nothing has been put through my letter box (or through the communal letterbox in the flats) in the past couple of months related to this.

Some friends of mine also live on the Quays and I was talking to them the past weekend. According to them, a woman who pushes for the neighbourhood watch was boasting to them that she'd got it stopped - I don't know who this is, but I suspect you do. My mate claimed that he'd heard the story of anglers urinating and defecating in the street/towpath and had clashed with somebody he'd caught urinating up his fence, but whether this is a purely an antisocial anglers problem I don't know. (I've confronted somebody urinating up my wall at night in a previous house and you couldn't fish there...)

As for parking, I've had the odd car in my space (which is "my" space, I pay rent for it) but if the grounds maintenance people actually repainted the numbers in them people might be aware they were reserved parking spaces. The worst offender for parking in other peoples spaces or across two spaces is actually a local resident anyway!

So, as a local resident I'm not only happy for angling at the Quays, I'd actively prefer to see fishermen out on the quays and am disappointed it's been stopped. The street is a more pleasant and vibrant place with anglers.

I hope that if it is just one busybody she gets faced down and fishing continues. The canal isn't just there so that people who own property next to it can have a nice view.

(I suspect that with a good cast action I could fish in the basin from within my living room with the window open. Anybody up for testing Sandwell MBC's resolve? :) )

• 2 weeks later...
firstly i'd like to start of by apologising for not updating the on-going situation, it has been brought to my attention that this thread is being closely monitored.

secondly if anybody feels that i have insulted/upset them with any of my posts by all means let me know and i will edit them appropriately.

thirdly i would also like to state that these posts are of my opinions and experiences as they are happening, and i would like to remind people that we live in a democratic society and everybody is entitled to his/her opinions.

As long as you avoid suggesting illegal actions or making libelous comments and personal attacks, you are certainly entitled to voice your opinions here.

I don't know about "suggesting illegal actions" since I'm not that familiar with your legal system but I certainly have not noticed any libel or personal attacks in your posts.

Do please continue to keep us updated on the situation.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

as there been any ducks,swans any wildlife been injured because 2 old women are making life hell for anglers on a strech near me,and thats were most of these problems start.were there is a sign near, me saying no fishing while bank and towpath work is ongoing, but they are bw signs,not council, so near me bw own the water and bank,and probably the same were you are

• 1 year later...
I Live in flat next to a british waterways canal basin and i have my enviroment agency licence. Fishing has always been prominant here but today the local council have put signs up saying "no Fishing" as the canal basin is owned by british waterways and not the local council is this legal and if it is , is there anyway to over turn it ...many people have been using the basin for fishing, some dont clean up after them selves and occasionally use peoples walls as a urinals. but the majoraty of people who fish here are very resonable and take ll of their rubbish home...what legal grounds do the council and the police have to stop fishing on british water ways canals.

nellynb

hi there my friend i have been digging around on this issue for a couple of months the quay is being run by the tividale quay community angling club it is a members only water and you have to see the bailiff on the bank for information on how and if you can join

this information was passed to me by british waterways the signs aroung the quay are all official they haven't put logo's on them as they did not know at the time if they would be retaining the water

the reason for the fishing ban is due to the anti-social behaviour problems within the area the police and the council decided it was for the best to cut down on the druggies and the drinkers using the excuse they were fishing as a reason to be there so there cut inject drugs and get drunk ,then leave cans ,rubbish and needles about the place . but as long as you are a member and follow the rules then you will be allowed to fish