fishing book

timbr00

about 10-15 years ago i was given a book on course fishing that as a child was full of usefull tips for a beginner. unfortunatly this book dissapeared a long time ago and i desperatly wish to optain another copy. problem is i dont know what it was called but it was set out in a comic strip form with text below and followed a child being taught to fish by his father. the book was a paperback with glossy cover and was wider than it was tall. i believe it was produced by a newspaper such as the daily mail but it could have been the angling times it was so long ago i have forgotten.

if anyone has any ideas please let me know

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the book you mean is "Mr Crabtree goes fishing" by Bernard Venables, originally published as a cartoon strip in the Daily Mirror. I have a copy from 1952 or 1953 which I have as a bit of nostalgic bedtime reading. A lot of the advice regarding reading a river for example is still relevant but much is very old fashioned and out of date for modern techniques. St ill a good read though and there are usually plenty of copies on e-bay for around a tenner.

The only I know of that you are describing is "Mr Crabtree goes fishing" by Bernard Venables. Its a comic strip that used to be in the Daily Mirror. It was the pipe smoking Mr Crabtree who used to take his young son Peter fishing at various times of the year and using various techniques.

Cover

516XDG3WVEL._SS500_.jpg

A page inside the book:

mr_crabtree_goes_fishing1.jpg

You can buy it from Amazon here:

Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing - £9.45

thats it fishing with terry and son. bit out dated now but still good advise for beginners from what i remember. thank you so much!!!

I haven't seen that one (that Terry looks decidedly shifty), but I wouldn't mind betting that Crabtree is ten times better.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Ummm, yes, Terrys do tend to be a bit shifty! But Crabtree ten times better? Not so sure! Crabtree might be great for nostalgia and the paintings but Conrad Frost's book is a better tutorial, in my humble opinion, and more up to-date.

Well done.

Given that most of what Izaak (Isaac) Walton wrote is still useful, I suspect that much of the material in that book will be as well.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President