Asteroid Fly-By On Monday Will Be Very Close

Slack lines

I heared about this one at the weekend. It's damn close and even though it's relativly small, it's worrying that it was picked up so late. It doesn't have to be much bigger than this to be a city killer.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I heared about this one at the weekend. It's damn close and even though it's relativly small, it's worrying that it was picked up so late. It doesn't have to be much bigger than this to be a city killer.

"An asteroid approximately 10 to 50 yards wide"

Waaaaaaaaay out of my depth with this sort of subject, BUT, with all the technology that is on earth, and in space, could they not give its exact size?

Making the most of it

Chi dorme non piglia pesci

Another report said approximately 30m but there are margins of error in any esimation based on limited data.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

What do you mean "it's worrying that it was picked up so late".? Do you realise that there are more people working in your average Burger King than there are employed in looking for "earth grazer" type asteroids? If this is only 30 metres across it's a mere pebble of an asteroid. A 2KM asteroid like the one that hit near where the town of Manson, IOWA stands today could be undetectable until minutes before impact if it "came at us" from the wrong direction.

If this one HAD been on a colission course it would have made a big bang when it hit the Earth's atmosphere, but it would have burned up before it hit the ground. It would have made a pretty impressive celestial fireworks display for those researchers in Antartica though.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Yep, I do realise that the search for NEO's is chronically understaffed and underfunded.

I said it was worrying rather than surprising for that very reason.

Depending on the angle of entry and their composition, I thought rocks up to about 25m were likely to burn up on entry which given the margin for error (pre-deflection) in the asteroids size would have left plenty of room for a big bang on the ground.

Maybe it needs a decent thud somewhere in a relatively unpopulated part of the continental US to give the NEO issue a bit of impetus !

Yep, I do realise that the search for NEO's is chronically understaffed and underfunded.

I said it was worrying rather than surprising for that very reason.

Depending on the angle of entry and their composition, I thought rocks up to about 25m were likely to burn up on entry which given the margin for error (pre-deflection) in the asteroids size would have left plenty of room for a big bang on the ground.

Maybe it needs a decent thud somewhere in a relatively unpopulated part of the continental US to give the NEO issue a bit of impetus !

Sorry Ken, I just mis-read your post a wee bit. It's a shame that the Tunguska event didn't happen a few minutes later and hit a bit closer to Moscow or a few minutes earlier and land plonk in the middle of the mid-West (Kansas would be nice, hell anywhere in the middle of the Bible Belt would be pretty fine by me.)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Wow, the whole thing is really amazing. Burn-up or not, it reminds us that we are not in charge, and our priorities are short lived.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Wow, the whole thing is really amazing. Burn-up or not, it reminds us that we are not in charge, and our priorities are short lived.
No were not in charge of anything, the universe doesn't love us.

A major impact will happen one day. Maybe not in your lifetime, maybe not in mine, just the same as one day the "super volcano" or caldera that we call Yellowstone National Park will erupt again. It has a "super eruption" about every 600,000 years. It has not had a super eruption for about 600,000 years. Yellowstone is overdue. I sincerely hope that it doesn't blow in my lifetime, or that of my children or my children's children. I can think of better ways to die.

In a similar vein, there is a HUGE volcano in Iceland called Katla. The caldera of Katla is 6 miles in diameter, but you cannot see it because it is under the Mýrdalsjökull Glacier. Katla is just next door to Eyjafjallajökull, the volcano that cased all the disruption to air travel in and out of Europe recently. Katla is MUCH bigger than Eyjafjallajökull. Katla erupts every 40 to 80 years. It's last big eruption was in 1918. Now there wasn't a lot of global air travel in 1918, unlike today. I think a Katla event like the one in 1918 would probably put a halt to all air travel in the Northern Hemisphere, or at least the European & North American part of it for 6 to 9 months.

I'm no vulcanologist or anything like that, but developed an interest in them after lying at anchor for about 3 weeks next to Sakurajima, an active volcano in Kyshu, Japan.

Edited by corydoras