Fishing Newbury

guinness

Civil Service Angling Society - they have a nice stretch of river Kennet below Ham Bridge in Newbury. They have both banks down to where the canal joins the river at Widmead - then the South Bank down to the Red Spinners bit at Chamberhouse Farm (Newbury AA have the North bank). Nice bit of water - I've fished it a few times as they do a permit exchange scheme with NewburyAA.

C.

and where I do most of my fishing! :P

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess is wrong by my reckoning - its further upstream - just below Victoria Park - Side stream is club water or at least used to be

It was drained for bank work by the EA about five years ago wasn't it? Runs just behind the Newbury FC ground?

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Can I ask a question of you Newbury anglers? I know there are quite a few of you on here. Do you find that posting about specific bits of water increases the angling pressure? I am always very careful to give little away on my own waters, and I just wonder whether I'm being paranoid?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Can I ask a question of you Newbury anglers? I know there are quite a few of you on here. Do you find that posting about specific bits of water increases the angling pressure? I am always very careful to give little away on my own waters, and I just wonder whether I'm being paranoid?

No, you're not being paranoid. Trouble is I'm split between being helpful and selfish. I err on the helpful side until I get to the bank and it's rammed and then curse like mad.

I don't think so Anderoo. There are loads of factors which influence angling pressure on particular venues but in the context of the Newbury area I don't think the posts on AN are having a significant impact (sorry Elton).

According to NAA & TAA bailiffs that I’ve spoken to river anglers are in the minority so considering the wealth of flowing water available there’s a relative lack of interest, most association members are bivvied up somewhere. Club river/canal stretches are very quiet despite the frequent and humbling reports of success appearing on these very pages.

As regards freebies I haven’t found them to be getting busier but because of their location I accept that they are bound to attract more people. Some of those folk will be anglers taking the dog for a crap so trying to keep it under your hat is futile (not the crap). I learnt about these free venues from people on this site so I’m quite pleased to help out other newcomers to the area. If more specific advice is passed on to me it doesn’t go any further though.

It’s best to do what you’re comfortable with, a preference for targeting larger fish under circumstances where there’s little chance of being disturbed probably needs a more cautious approach.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I don't think so Anderoo. There are loads of factors which influence angling pressure on particular venues but in the context of the Newbury area I don't think the posts on AN are having a significant impact (sorry Elton).

According to NAA & TAA bailiffs that I’ve spoken to river anglers are in the minority so considering the wealth of flowing water available there’s a relative lack of interest, most association members are bivvied up somewhere. Club river/canal stretches are very quiet despite the frequent and humbling reports of success appearing on these very pages.

As regards freebies I haven’t found them to be getting busier but because of their location I accept that they are bound to attract more people. Some of those folk will be anglers taking the dog for a crap so trying to keep it under your hat is futile (not the crap). I learnt about these free venues from people on this site so I’m quite pleased to help out other newcomers to the area. If more specific advice is passed on to me it doesn’t go any further though.

It’s best to do what you’re comfortable with, a preference for targeting larger fish under circumstances where there’s little chance of being disturbed probably needs a more cautious approach.

Same as never seen more than 5 anglers on the free bit of the Lambourne and thats when every other river was a raging brown torrent so every river angler returning to there default setting of a fish able venue,Wouldn'T have known about the fishing there if it wasn`t for members here giving me a few pointers about it .

Would think that if you are a fishing an out of the way stream that involves a walk or effort of tracking down a farmer/Landowner for permission then as long as you don`t mention the exact bit you should be fairly safe ,esp up your way Anderoo as most anglers are encamped on one of the stillwaters casting spods at each other shouting/swearing/drinking Special Brew ,just joined Newbury so if i ever get out then figure that there will be loads of river fishing to go at without ever seeing another angler as we [as river anglers ] are in the minority thankfully enough.

Even on lower bits of the Kennett controlled by a big club like RDAA you see hardly any anglers apart from when they have a match .

Everyone has to make there own decision about how much info you give out and to who but you don`t have to give out your best spots ,Bit sad if we don't help anyone at all though i mean it`s not like we are Carp anglers eh?? :lol::lol:;)

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: