Fishing Newbury

guinness

If you live outside the 12 mile limit, you can also get an Associate membership, cost this year is £65, compared to the £40 for normal membership. Think your application needs to be seconded by a full member though.

Paul

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadn't realised there were so many Newbury AA members on Anglers Net! It's good to hear. I'm a member, and live in Newbury. In my opinion the sheer variety of fishing that's available here is amazing, Guinness. People are concerned that the Kennet's losing its weed, and the roach and dace in the river aren't what they were. That may be so, but as in many places the perch and chub have grown big!

There are also some quite reasonable free bits in Newbury, and a good Reading DAA tench lake which can be fished on day ticket - I think £3.00.

One slight difficulty I had when I first joined Newbury AA was that they don't give much information about the lakes, different stretches of river etc in their literature, so I had to find out gradually by trial and error. There's an element of being spoiled by choice with 10 lakes, all the stretches of river Chris mentioned plus some good bits of canal. Say what type of fishing you're looking for and I'm sure people on AN will give any advice we can where to start.

john clarke

sTench:

is it the one behind lakeside superbowl?

Yup - reckon that's the one John's on about though I think DT's are more than 3 quid. Be warned however it's not fishing at all well ATM. In fact some anglers have even accused RDAA of removing all the tench from the lake such has been their lack of appearance this year!!! (They haven't BTW!)

Most NAA lakes have tinca's - in fact now I think about it they all have with the exception of Warwicks (which may have though I've never caught one from here). Best bet though is to head for the lakes on the Widmead complex. Collins has the biggest, Knotts the most and there are good numbers in Dixons and Dobsons - so you'll just have to wait for the 16th June!!

Chris

[ 15. May 2004, 07:48 AM: Message edited by: Chris Plumb ]

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

the best place for tench in newbury in my experience is the canal, just outside butson close fishing the near margins in the evenings. I caught my biggest tench ever there wieghing exactly 8lbs, and 3-5lb tench are very easy to catch there. But as i said earlyer the canal can be a pain to fish in the summer with all the boats and crayfish so its deffinatly a better idea to go in the evenings when there are no boats, the crayfish have gone to bed and the tench have come out.

8lbs is quite a tench! I'd heard there were good tench west of Guyers Lock, but didn't know about the bit by Butson Close. I'll probably try it, so thanks. Incidently, I've heard that stretch is also good for perch.

Yes, as Chris says, i was referring to the lake behind the Bowling Alley. It's normally good fishing, and imho better for tench than the Newbury AA waters. At least, I've done better there, and there's certainly a lot more weed in the water. Having said that, if its not fishing well this year that obviously has to be taken into account. Come to think of it, you used not to be able to get day tickets during the close season, it was reserved for RDAA members during that period, though I haven't checked this year.

john clarke

Hi All

You can still fish the RDAA tench lake on a day ticket during the close season tickets are on sale in crownmead angling.

NAA's radius is borderline in basingstoke on sherbourne,overton,okley,wooton st lawrence if you give your destination I will check for you.

AS PaulG has mentioned there is an associate membership but this is limited to 70 and there is a waiting list.

If you are going in search of barbel on NAA your best bet would be Brimton there is a large head of fish on this stretch.

colthrop is a harder venue with not so many fish but when its fishing rewards can be amazing.

Some of the most prolific barbel stretches on the Kennet belong to TAA, Padworth park has a massive amount of fish in it and can produce some big bags of fish.

the rainsford farm stretch is also a popular barbel venue for multi fish bags.

TAA also have a 12 mile radius restriction but have no limits on the associate membership which costs £60.

quote:

Originally posted by Xbarbel:

...... Some of the most prolific barbel stretches on the Kennet belong to TAA, Padworth Park has a massive amount of fish in it and can produce some big bags of fish. The Rainsford Farm stretch is also a popular barbel venue for multi fish bags. TAA also have a 12 mile radius restriction but have no limits on the associate membership which costs £60.

Who/what is The TAA, please?

:confused:

DG

[ 16. May 2004, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]