Fishing Newbury

guinness

hello i need a number for newbury aa. i live in thatcham and want to join. can anyone give me any info avout the lakes and the names of them. i want to catch the big carp thank you johnny cash

They have a website for contact details - put newburyangling in google - and the tickets can be got at Thatcham Angling from about June 1. But I've got no knowledge on the carp really.

john clarke

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back into fishing after 2 years out, thinking of joing both Newbury and Thatcham AA, got told in the shop i have to pay late joining fees to get one now then get a new permit in June if i paid now so im going to fish Wylies lake by the bowling alley until then. Does anyone know how its fishing at the moment?

If you live around Newbury another great place to fish is Barton Court near kintbury, been twice and got personal bests each time (bream and perch).

I've been a member of NAA for over 25 years and TAA on and off for even longer (continuously for the past 6). Both (especially NAA) have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to river fishing - and quite a few still waters. ½ of NAA's still waters (Widmead complex) are closed during the close season (on SSSI). Both clubs operate a locals only restriction on membership (12miles for NAA, 15 for TAA) and the last time I asked there was a waiting list for Associate Books for NAA for which you also have to be seconded by an existing member.

Both clubs have websites though the TAA one doesn't look like it's been updated for over a year!

NAA site

TAA site

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Cashy

Bellwood and Collins are the NewburyAA lakes to look at if you want carp

Kerplunk

Have a look on the RDAA website for catches etc re Wylies.But in my experience the tench dont tend to start feeding as early in the year as other lakes nearby.Certainly in years gone by the Hambridge lake tench were quicker off the mark than their Wylies counterparts.

Cashy

Bellwood and Collins are the NewburyAA lakes to look at if you want carp

Kerplunk

Have a look on the RDAA website for catches etc re Wylies.But in my experience the tench dont tend to start feeding as early in the year as other lakes nearby.Certainly in years gone by the Hambridge lake tench were quicker off the mark than their Wylies counterparts.

Is it possible to fish Hambridge on a day ticket? The biggest fish ive seen in my life was in Bellwood, massive common and it was all fish rather than 50% belly 50% fish like most of the lumps the carpers target :P

Is it possible to fish Hambridge on a day ticket? The biggest fish ive seen in my life was in Bellwood, massive common and it was all fish rather than 50% belly 50% fish like most of the lumps the carpers target :P

Afraid not,you will have to join RDAA either through an affiliated club{Thatcham AA are one such club}or as an individual member.

At one time i used to fish frequently at both Wylies & Hambridge but have not been for a while so cannot advise on specific swims or tactics.Will probulary revisit them again this coming season,if so i will let you know how i get on.

Can't you fish it on an RDAA day ticket? Used to be £6.50, but may have gone up.

Hambridge was never to my recollection a DT water - certainly wasn't when I used to bailiff for RDAA. Wylies was always a DT water. I let my RDAA book go 4 years ago and used to fish both lakes quite a bit - especially Wylies - which has some really nice tench in it. However was horrified when they took all the trees down 3/4 years ago - absolutely scapled the place - really sad - wrecked ALL my favourite margin swims where you'd used to get fish right in close under the margin cover. Not been back since - so it may have recovered somewhat!!!!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Last fished Hambridge way back in 89 and it was not day ticket then,I live locally and have never joined Newbury but that is something i intend to rectify this coming season Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Not been back since - so it may have recovered somewhat!!!!

I went to Wylies today just to have a look. I arrived to see a chap land a 6lb Tench taken on ledgered plastic sweet corn with a pva bag of pellets. I always keep my kit in the car so I bought a day ticket from the bowling alley and a tin of corn from local shops, £6 for two rods. Alas no luck for me (not even a bite) but the lake is a very nice place to fish, trees seem to have recovered well although I've never seen it pre lumberjack activities.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back