Fishing Newbury

guinness

I went to Wylies today just to have a look. I arrived to see a chap land a 6lb Tench taken on ledgered plastic sweet corn with a pva bag of pellets. I always keep my kit in the car so I bought a day ticket from the bowling alley and a tin of corn from local shops, £6 for two rods. Alas no luck for me (not even a bite) but the lake is a very nice place to fish, trees seem to have recovered well although I've never seen it pre lumberjack activities.

Good to hear you can get tickets from the bowling alley again. These are clearly a bit cheaper than the Guest Tickets which, according to the website, are £8. You used to be able to get fairly general day tickets, but these no longer seem available - unless I got given guest tickets by mistake a couple of times - ie I thought they were usable even if I wasn't a guest!

Edited by The Flying Tench

john clarke

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1987 I worked as the head chef at Newbury race course, I was there for 1 year only, I lived in Newbury and fished the river in the town. In fact I fished a stretch of water that was free or pay on the bank I don’t recall, it was just of the center of town close to some industrial warehouses and there was a smaller stream that ran parallel to the main river, The roach fishing was the best I have ever encountered, I used to trot with bread and feed mashed bread, the size of the roach was impressive with 1lb -2lb turning up all the time. I also caught a 6lb trout on the bread.

Further more further up the bank was a sluice gate and around this were some very nice perch. I found that the river was in excellent condition with a lot of weed growth. I really enjoyed fishing the Kennet, I am not sure if you can still fish the town stretch but I have always thought about going back for a days fishing.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Just had a quick look on RDAA website on the venue info page.With regards to Hambridge no mention of guest tickets accompanied or otherwise so i assume its still members only.As for Wylies RDAA quote 6lb8oz as the average size of the tench with a few pics of fish that size and bigger.

Just to satisfy my own curiousity i went for a quick look at Wylies this morning,certainly not a treeless wasteland and much as i remember it from a few years ago.Have pencilled in a return trip with my tackle this weekend.

In 1987 I worked as the head chef at Newbury race course, I was there for 1 year only, I lived in Newbury and fished the river in the town. In fact I fished a stretch of water that was free or pay on the bank I don’t recall, it was just of the center of town close to some industrial warehouses and there was a smaller stream that ran parallel to the main river, The roach fishing was the best I have ever encountered, I used to trot with bread and feed mashed bread, the size of the roach was impressive with 1lb -2lb turning up all the time. I also caught a 6lb trout on the bread.

Further more further up the bank was a sluice gate and around this were some very nice perch. I found that the river was in excellent condition with a lot of weed growth. I really enjoyed fishing the Kennet, I am not sure if you can still fish the town stretch but I have always thought about going back for a days fishing.

Sounds like the Whithouse strech which i think is now Thatcham Angling and no day tickets but i may be wrong,Think it used to be London Anglers on a day ticket.

Cracking Pike swim at the top end where the river comes in a few yards below the lock and some big Perch and Chub to but havent fished it for a few years.

I am sure that Chris Plumb or one of the other Newbury guys will be able to say if my guess is correct,Not sure about the sluice gate though Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I am sure that Chris Plumb or one of the other Newbury guys will be able to say if my guess is correct,Not sure about the sluice gate though Steve.

Guess is wrong by my reckoning - its further upstream - just below Victoria Park - Side stream is club water or at least used to be - main river is free to Newbury Residents only (strictly speaking). Bread is THE bait for that stretch due to all the freebies that get chucked in for the ducks/swans - of which there are LOADS. Throws up some very big chub to this day. Not fished it since I were a lad (well teenager+) around early 80's,,,

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Guess is wrong by my reckoning - its further upstream - just below Victoria Park - Side stream is club water or at least used to be - main river is free to Newbury Residents only (strictly speaking). Bread is THE bait for that stretch due to all the freebies that get chucked in for the ducks/swans - of which there are LOADS. Throws up some very big chub to this day. Not fished it since I were a lad (well teenager+) around early 80's,,,

C.

Is that the bit that you can see from the road bridge approaching the police station roundabout? That would explain the sluice gate.

Saw Youths/Chavs/Poles whoever spinning there on several occasions whilst sitting in traffic in the rush hour over the recent holiday period,In the side stream bit below the sluice and presumed it was not the canal so rang the EA who said they would check it out.

No idea if they did but have not noticed them there since Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Is that the bit that you can see from the road bridge approaching the police station roundabout? That would explain the sluice gate.

Yup - that's it - side stream used to be stuffed with chub.....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Picked up a copy of Anglers Mail on the way to work this morning.By a strange coincidence there is a feature on Ian Welch fishing at Hambrige lake.

There's less weed now, and the roach are not what they were alas, but it's still good fishing. As a result of all the boats the river is quite coloured in summer now, in fact most of the year. The free stretch is from the A339 up to where the river comes into the canal above Northcroft Leisure centre.

john clarke

• 9 months later...