Fishing Newbury

guinness

Can anyone tell me what CSAS stands for please?

Cheers

JP

Civil Service Angling Society - they have a nice stretch of river Kennet below Ham Bridge in Newbury. They have both banks down to where the canal joins the river at Widmead - then the South Bank down to the Red Spinners bit at Chamberhouse Farm (Newbury AA have the North bank). Nice bit of water - I've fished it a few times as they do a permit exchange scheme with NewburyAA.

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Civil Service Angling Society - they have a nice stretch of river Kennet below Ham Bridge in Newbury. They have both banks down to where the canal joins the river at Widmead - then the South Bank down to the Red Spinners bit at Chamberhouse Farm (Newbury AA have the North bank). Nice bit of water - I've fished it a few times as they do a permit exchange scheme with NewburyAA.

C.

Hmm the Red Spinners a rather select even secretive club they always strike me as a old boy network group of anglers very much who you know to get in. ;)

Correct me if i am wrong but i think they also have another stretch of the Kennet at Hampstead Marshall?

Hmm the Red Spinners a rather select even secretive club they always strike me as a old boy network group of anglers very much who you know to get in. ;)

Correct me if i am wrong but i think they also have another stretch of the Kennet at Hampstead Marshall?

Correct - immediately downstream of the Wilderness - and THAT weedrack that produced those two 20lb+ pike in APFA. I'm not a RS member - but from what I hear they are a bit 'Masonic'. I have err guested on one of their waters - I did my 6th form at Bearwood College in Wokingham - a school which had 3 lakes - two of which we were allowed to fish - the third and largest was rented to RS - but boys will be boys!

C.

• 11 months later...
Guess is wrong by my reckoning - its further upstream - just below Victoria Park - Side stream is club water or at least used to be - main river is free to Newbury Residents only (strictly speaking). Bread is THE bait for that stretch due to all the freebies that get chucked in for the ducks/swans - of which there are LOADS. Throws up some very big chub to this day. Not fished it since I were a lad (well teenager+) around early 80's,,,

C.

who owns the rights to the little sidestream?

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

didnt do too well at speen moors sunday, far too much water not enough water craft!

I've been biting my lip since you joined NAA and got enthusiastic about Speen, I did exactly the same (probably the main reason I joined). It's a tough venue to learn but I can't think of a better classroom. Discounting tiddlers my record so far is Speen 4 Rusty 1.

I believe dry fly fishing is allowed during the close season so I plan to spend a lot of time there this Spring in preparation for the new season.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

It's a tough venue to learn but I can't think of a better classroom. Discounting tiddlers my record so far is Speen 4 Rusty 1.

I believe dry fly fishing is allowed during the close season so I plan to spend a lot of time there this Spring in preparation for the new season.

To be fair it has been a bit of a struggle this year on the chub front - very few of my 'banker' swims at SM have thrown up chub - and those that I have had have been small. The perch fishing on the other hand..... :rolleyes:

C.