Can I have some help identifying accessories?

curuxz

I'm not surprised you're confused, I wouldn't know what to do with half those bits either! You really don't need most of it, and certainly don't feel like just because you have the bits you need to find a way to use them. You'll end up fishing with something that is over complicated for no good reason.

The rig below is really all you need to start off legering:

2008252076_basic-rig.gif

The little clip running on the line allows you to change the feeder for a leger weight, or swap from one size of weight/feeder to another easily. For the hooklength part, just use normal mono (also called nylon) of a lighter breaking strain than your mainline. Forget about the braid and hair rigs (like the one in your picture) for now. Just tie a decent hook of a sensible size (depending on what you want to use for bait) on and hook the bait straight onto it.

What type of rod do you have to fish with? You will need to know when you have a bite...

Something not in your kit that you really do need is a set of disgorgers, e.g.: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Alloy-and-2X-...1#ht_500wt_1156

Dirt cheap but essential for removing hooks that have been swallowed, You will also need to learn how to use them, and how to handle and unhook fish so they come to no harm.

We were all beginners once so feel free to ask loads of questions.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm not surprised you're confused, I wouldn't know what to do with half those bits either! You really don't need most of it, and certainly don't feel like just because you have the bits you need to find a way to use them. You'll end up fishing with something that is over complicated for no good reason.

The rig below is really all you need to start off legering:

2008252076_basic-rig.gif

The little clip running on the line allows you to change the feeder for a leger weight, or swap from one size of weight/feeder to another easily. For the hooklength part, just use normal mono (also called nylon) of a lighter breaking strain than your mainline. Forget about the braid and hair rigs (like the one in your picture) for now. Just tie a decent hook of a sensible size (depending on what you want to use for bait) on and hook the bait straight onto it.

What type of rod do you have to fish with? You will need to know when you have a bite...

Something not in your kit that you really do need is a set of disgorgers, e.g.: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Alloy-and-2X-...1#ht_500wt_1156

Dirt cheap but essential for removing hooks that have been swallowed, You will also need to learn how to use them, and how to handle and unhook fish so they come to no harm.

We were all beginners once so feel free to ask loads of questions.

Thanks for this diagram, very helpful I can understand how to set that rig up. I will buy a disgorger and some mono line (along with some hooks without the braid). I am using a 12ft 2.5lb 3 piece rod. It came with reel with 200yards 0.28dia written on it and I have spooled up pretty much all 200yards on the reel following a tutorial i saw on youtube. Not sure if this was the right thing to do but testing at home I have a rod that seems to work.

a simple rig too make from your bits would be like this one ,nice simple and should do the trick ,and still be safe

DSCN0202.jpg

take your main line ,slip on the ledger stop (putting the peg in facing back up the mainline)

slip on the run ring (after fitting one of the snaplinks too it) ,then feed on the sleave (thin end first) onto the line

then tie the end of your mainline too the eye of the swivel on the hooklength,

then push the sleave over the swivel .now push the run ring over the thin end of the sleave and clip on the ledger .

finally set the ledger stop 3" from the sleave .

good luck with your adventure

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I would lose the ledger stop behind the lead to make it truly safe,in fact I would not use ledger stops at all as they can weaken the line.A stop knot,or rubber stop is far better.

My main concern is that you have brought all of this stuff (as Anderoo says most is unnecessary) before you know what to do with any of it!

Its far easier to learn slowly so get your self a copy of a good all round angling book such as John Wilson's Coarse Fishing (ISBN 1 85613 144 0) and look at the rigs and tactics in there.You can get a copy quite cheap (often under a tenner) off Ebay or simply (using the ISBN number Ive given) order one to take out from your local library.

You will quite simply save money getting the right stuff,knowing how to use it,learn to catch fish and above all use safe rigs that wont harm them.Simple :thumbs:

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

In fact despite all ready having a copy of my own and two spare Ive just brought another one this very second (whilst looking for one to link you to for 99p + £1.65 postage!!!

There's a couple going cheap plus some of the "Method" books by the same for 99p! I honestly think anyone who can afford to buy some tackle for a new/different method must be a total mug if they don't snap up one of these! Even if you cant read the diagrams alone are worth it. :rolleyes:

http://books.shop.ebay.co.uk/Books-Comics-...d=p3286.c0.m282

Edited by BUDGIE

Very good advice from Budgie, get a copy of that book and things will start to become much clearer.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Thanks for all the advice guys! I will defo try and get a copy of that book!!!!

I only got this kit because of the good reviews, realise it comes with maybe a little more than I need for now but will have a go. Did not get a chance today to go out but hopefully tomorrow I can find a few hours for a play, weather permitting!

In fact despite all ready having a copy of my own and two spare Ive just brought another one this very second (whilst looking for one to link you to for 99p + £1.65 postage!!!

Several used copies on Amazon for 1p and worth every penny! (Plus £2.80 delivery so a little bit more expensive than your copy.)

It's an excellent book though. I picked up a copy when I came back to coarse fishing a few years back and it was absolutely perfect. It's very clearly written if you're an absolute beginner but there's loads in there to keep you interested as you gain more experience. In fact, I still refer back to it now if there's a new technique I want to try or if there's something I'm doing that's not working.