Fishing st Reedham Ferry

JackPike

I have to admit that i have never actually fished the cut and my views stem from what i have been told about the place over the years.

It just goes to show that you can't always believe what you are told by others :( , perhaps they didn't want me to touch their spot.

You have suceeded in changing my mind and might even go down there and drown some maggots.

As for the greens pit issue, this was also told to me by someone else, he is a regular to hall farm and greens pits so i thought there might be some truth in it, i sencerely hope not because poisoning fish is just not on, and if it is true i hope the culprits are punished accordingly.

Fly like a mouse

Run like a cushion

Be the small bookcase!!

Bulster, it's many years since I was at Aldeby, and the last time two of the waters were the colour of pea soup! Many folk were still fishing them though. Shame, cos we loved the place. Hope it picks up, and nothing untoward is happening.

Thanks everyone for the advice I paid a visit to Brudall brought some bull dogs but they had no spinnerbaits in stock! Simon a very nice chap but he was very busy so didnt really get chance to chat to him.Anyway after two days at Reedham we gave up and went to Littleport Cambs we found plenty of fishing had a net full of bits andtwo nice pike but missed two hit and run bites. We had a briliant day out at Duxford Air Museum I could of spent two days there. I am back in the sunny Northwest now (its peeing down)but I know where my heart is it got to be the Fens

He who simply trys, Is not trying hard enuff

• 10 years later...

Any more info on fishing in the Reedham area of the Yare please ? We're on holiday there in July, staying right on the river itself. It sounds like hard work, but I'm loathe not to take any fishing gear.

Thanks.

it,s a stoater !

Wahey 2003-2014 - how time flies..

All the advice given hasn't changed though..

The river rockets through at Reedham.

Best thing to try and do if you want to fish Reedham itself is to try to get yourself in the lee of a bend to cut of a bit of the flow, either that or behind an obstruction of somekind.

Fish close in and if you groundbait add some white crumb or something sticky to make sure it gets to the bottom.

If you fish a feeder it wants to be at least a couple of ounces.

There'll be lots of Eels which'll make a mess of any worm or maggot baits but there are Bream and Roach there and some very good fish too.

Personally I would bait heavily close in and fish corn over top at dawn, dusk or into the night.

Try and get a tide table or speak to someone there as then you may be able to work out the best time to avoid the worst of the tide.

For example we're on neap tides at the moment, you get those every 2 weeks so work it out for when you go.

If you get decent spring tides you may well struggle outside of slack water.

If you've had enough of being savaged by a 4 knot tide you may want to go to the Reedham Ferry pub, have a few beers and a spot of dinner and try you're luck at charming the landlord into letting you fish his little lake out the back.

There's a caravan site there and it's a punters only thing I think but he may let you have a go. It's a fairly average reedy little carp pool but it might be nice to fish a float..

If you want to risk the odd bull and farmer then some of those little marsh dykes in the ferry area hold roach, Rudd and jacks.

Keeping travel local you've also got the River Chet over the ferry and towards Loddon. Try and get on somewhere Reedham side of Hardley Flood and you'll find some good fishing with less flow.

A little further across country (about 5 miles) and you can get to Buckenham Ferry which should offer you some if the best fishing on the Broads..

I think there's also some fishing ponds at Limpenhoe but I know nothing about those..

Good luck..

That's superb, Dant, thank you very much !!! We are very close to where the Chet enters the Yare (according to Google Earth anyway).

Is the Yare very coloured with it being tidal ? Thanks.

it,s a stoater !

You must be going to somewhere along Ferry Road then, Nice!

I'm often round that way charging about on my bike. Some really good countryside and lanes over that side of the river.

I grew up across the river at Cantley, you'll see the sugar factory silos and chimneys a couple of miles off.

Yes the river will be coloured very much so on the bigger tides.

You won't have to worry too much about the finer tackle.

Personally I'd fish something like a 6lb mainline to cope with the weight of the feeder and say a 3lb bottom with 12-14's for the bigger baits and 16's for everything else.

Take plenty of bait.

Also I be tempted to pre bait somewhere on the Chet near the mouth.

You could end up with a very decent bag of Bream.

There's some nice marsh dykes that side, especially the one from the old mill halfway down Ferry Road.

One thing I'd definitely recommend on the non fishing side of things is to walk The Wherrymans Way from Great Yarmouth to Reedham.

It's a great walk along the river through to the Yare estuary, Breydon Water.

Best way to do it is get a train from Reedham to Yarmouth, walk through Asdas car park, up onto the river wall and off you go.

There's even a pub halfway down, The Berney Arms which I believe has opened up again.

It's about 7 or 8 miles in total.

If you do it you'll appreciate what this talk about the tide is all about and just how close to the sea Reedham is..

Good luck with your trip and let us know how you get on..

• 2 months later...

We have just returned from the Reedham area of the Yare, and it is absolutely full of fish ! I had some good catches of roach, bream and hybrids fishing the feeder close in. Luckily the tides weren't too vicious. A very underfished area of river from what I've seen, although access maybe isn't too great for anglers.

Thanks for the advice lads.

• Like 1

it,s a stoater !