tank lighting

Andy_1984

Just a wee update on this.

The fish, for some odd reason took a real dislike to the lights in the aquarium and would hide all day, so much so that trying to get them used to it again resulted in them developing fin rot :( anyway, a friend bought a 2nd hand tank about a month ago that came with 3 x 4ft rgb(color changing) led strip lights with remote control and he gave them to me as he was using the tank for terrapins so no need for the strips.

I got the fin rot under control and started getting them used to the leds. I had set a custom color to a white'ish yellow as dull as I could get it and instantly the fish took to them like a fish to water :rolleyes:

when they went on for the first time it was a bit 'wtf is this, lets hide' but it only took a few minutes for them to come out of hiding and started swimming around like nothing had happened. I now have much happier fish.

I cant get a good picture to show the lighting but its sort of similar to Steves setup here except a little bit dimmer.

This is the other tank I put one on:

new6.jpg

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alexmenmymn, on 23 Sept 2016 - 15:11, said:

Hi All i am in process of setting up a 200g tank and the last pice of the puzzle is the lighting ,i have been looking at LED set ups but the biggest i have seen only extend to 140cm does anyone now of a light that will sit on a 150cm tank thanks

Depends what the lighting is for. If purely to see the fish, and it's for freshwater, two of these will illuminate an aquarium that length, up to 80cm deep, very well. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JB12E1C/ref=s9_dcacsd_bhz_bw_c_x_2 They can be mounted in any way that suits. I'm going to assume this is approximately a 5' x 3' x 2' aquarium? The LED strips just won't have the punch to get down in a deep aquarium.

I've got one of these on a planted Juwel Vision 260, which is quite a deep tank. They only go up to 120cm, but they come with a hanging kit, so you could suspend it from the ceiling.

This is how it looks at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...