Demo in Bewdley

Leon Roskilly

Please see:

http://www.expressandstar.com/2008/06/21/a...swan-sanctuary/

Recieved from Martin Salter MP:

For immediate release:

18 June 2008

PRESS STATEMENT: BEWDLEY TOWN COUNCIL

Martin Salter MP, Labour's Parliamentary Spokesman for Angling has issued the following press statement regarding Bewdley Town Council:

"As the government's angling spokesman I find it very disappointing that a handful of town councillors are seeking to ban anglers from pursuing Britain's most popular participant sport along a public stretch of the river Severn.

They appear to have taken against angling in response to objections based on hearsay rather than scientific or factual evidence.

I have worked well with the RSPB and other conservation charities in the interests of both bird-lovers and fishermen - there is no need for conflict as both depend upon the existence of a healthy aquatic environment.

I fully support the campaign to retain anglers as the eyes and ears of the waterside in Bewdley and elsewhere and would be happy to help in any way I can."

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“The district council intends, as part of its re-letting procedure, to introduce a considerate fishing policy into its lease arrangements which would require any clubs taking up the fishing rights to regularly ensure that their members comply with the by laws relating to the use of lead weights.”

Sounds fair enough..

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Sounds fair enough

Well, it might be reasonable if there was any evidence that anybody is using lead on the stretch, but there isn't.

Anyway, why should local angling clubs be forced to take on checks that are the remit of the EA ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I dont know about anyone else but i thought it virtually impossible to get lead shot now let alone anyone bothering to look for the odd person that might still have a pot of real lead shot after (guessing how long) ten years or more. This to me is just an excuse to push anglers out of the way once again.

Just looked into it a bit more lead shot was banned in sizes below 1 oz to size 8 for anglers in 1986

i think they need to look elsewhere for there excuses after this amount of time.

Edited by terry t shirt

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Unfortunatly, I'm 90% certain I saw lead shot on sale in Lidl a month or so ago.

It would be interesting to get the lead alloy that they have suposedly recovered from dead birds and get it metalurgiclay analized.

It should then be possible to compare it against known samples and in addition to seeing whether it's gun shot or fishing (split) shot, it should be possible to work out exactly where it's comming from.

My suspicision is still that it's old shot that has been there for more than 25 years.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

If Lidls are selling LEAD shot they should be prosecuted i thought it was illegal to sell lead shot for angling purposes and they shouldnt be selling anything if they dont know the rules and regulations surrounding it.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

i thought it virtually impossible to get lead shot now .

So did I untill I saw this......

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/lead-fi...AN-t333354.html

However lets forget the whole buisness of lead shot from anglers any way.I still believe that the whole issuie behind it is flawed anyway.Some of the biggest campaigners for substitute shot were the manufacturers of it! The only lead Ive ever been shown that has been removed from dead swans gizzards has had no split in it! And I still say that discharging both barrels of a shot gun will introduce more lead into the enviroment tan an angler would in a lifetime.As far as Im aware shotgun shot is still lead?

No its just another case of someone who hasnt got a clue aboutthe real facts just using any old rubbish to impose their will/wishes/ideals on others.The woman in this case was given ample oportunity to see the real facts but saimply didnt want to as her only agenda was to see angling banned not any worthwhile interest in the enviroment or swans welfare.

But what did we do? Sweet F all as usual to busy bitching amongst ourselves.And knowing how apathetic we are what did all of our bodies set up for the benifit of angling do? Yup you got it.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

If Lidls are selling LEAD shot they should be prosecuted i thought it was illegal to sell lead shot for angling purposes and they shouldnt be selling anything if they dont know the rules and regulations surrounding it.

I mention a short while back that a local "Pound shop" was selling illegal sized keepnets (I think its only illegal to use these as opposed to selling them though but surely it contravenes trading standards regs re "fit for purpose sold"?) I also believe the mixed boxes of shot they were selling was indeed lead (well it looked like lead).

But who should I have reported my concerns too? and would they have either been interested or done anything about it? What are the legal positions re shot (owning/selling) and selling illegal tackle? At what stage do angling byelaws become enforcable by outside agencies (ie any other than EA)? I dont know.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Well, it might be reasonable if there was any evidence that anybody is using lead on the stretch, but there isn't.

Anyway, why should local angling clubs be forced to take on checks that are the remit of the EA ?

I was going to ammend my post and figured someone would be along to say just that Ken. :)

This is the first 'Demonstration' I have seen where anglers have pulled together on really any issue. People start to threaten the sport in such ways and it will be rampant. Looks like for once the fact that the river being owned by various clubs and individuals has actually brought it back around. From what I could gather if the stretch was owned by the council alone things might have been a bit different.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...