Demo in Bewdley

Leon Roskilly

Guest tigger
Must be some one with some legal knowledge on here who can tell me if its A) legal to sell leadshopt or B) if it is couldnt a buyer sue the seller for selling him something that wasnt "fit for intended purpose" (ie due to it being illegal to use it) ?

I can't see it being illegal to sell it. You can still buy the various old hold traps like gin's etc and it's not illegal to sell them, it's illegal to use them though.

I have to say I prefer using lead shot to the non toxic stuff and I think if used correctly it would be safe. Obviously it's only as safe as the person using it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was having a conversation in the week that resulted in us comming up with a possible mechanism for increased lead exposure at Bewdley.

Basically, when the river used to flood, it would overtop the quayside and then spread out. Since the flood defences have been built, it goes through fast and deep at times offlooding, scouring out the stones and gravels that have been covering the bedrock for decades. Being heavy, the lead fron 30 or 40 years ago gets left behind and is injested by swans when the levels drop.

Just an idea but it would be interesting to know whether similar increases in lead poisoning have been noted in other locations following the construction of flood defences.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I can't see it being illegal to sell it. You can still buy the various old hold traps like gin's etc and it's not illegal to sell them, it's illegal to use them though.

I have to say I prefer using lead shot to the non toxic stuff and I think if used correctly it would be safe. Obviously it's only as safe as the person using it.

No I to doubt that its illegal to sell it as such but would have thought the "fit for intended use" thing would hold up.

I too still think lead shot is far superior to the non toxic alternative.However its a small price to pay to keep angling.

I was having a conversation in the week that resulted in us comming up with a possible mechanism for increased lead exposure at Bewdley.

Basically, when the river used to flood, it would overtop the quayside and then spread out. Since the flood defences have been built, it goes through fast and deep at times offlooding, scouring out the stones and gravels that have been covering the bedrock for decades. Being heavy, the lead fron 30 or 40 years ago gets left behind and is injested by swans when the levels drop.

Just an idea but it would be interesting to know whether similar increases in lead poisoning have been noted in other locations following the construction of flood defences.

Been sugested a couple of times Ken.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Same as mate but he replied saying it was perfectly legal to use them for sea and fly fishing. Now I know its not for fly fishing in freshwater but dont know about sea. He also claimed that lead shot was still available from five wholesalers.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Guest tigger
Same as mate but he replied saying it was perfectly legal to use them for sea and fly fishing. Now I know its not for fly fishing in freshwater but dont know about sea. He also claimed that lead shot was still available from five wholesalers.

Don't forget Bugie I think it's still legal in Ireland...I think.

Don't forget Bugie I think it's still legal in Ireland...I think.

It is still available in Ireland .I saw SSG,AAA and BB on the shelves just this month and alot cheaper than the stuff over here(UK)

I know what you are saying Tigger, but no matter how careful you are you can't stop being broken or a weight coming off when casting, I like to think I am careful but have lost a few weights, but I am so mean, if I drop a weight in the grass, I will search and search until I find it, I reuse and reuse weights, my weight dispenser is 15 or 20 years old, all I've bought in the last few years is a new pot of BB's

Saying that, I miss using the old lead weights, but the non toxic are here and thats it

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

Whilst I agree with your comments Steve youve dropped all anglers in it by saying that you cant buy lead shot anymore.It took me seconds to find this as Im sure it would any anti angler-

You can buy all sorts of illegal stuff on the internet. When did you last see illegal lead for sale in a tackle shop?

If people are buying and using illegal lead, the EA should catch them and prosecute them, and I shall have no sympathy for them.