Demo in Bewdley

Leon Roskilly

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I still say that discharging both barrels of a shot gun will introduce more lead into the enviroment tan an angler would in a lifetime.As far as Im aware shotgun shot is still lead?

I got pelted with shot from shotguns last week, and much more landed in front of me in the river :(

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Couple of points; firstly, the woman from the swan sanctuary plainly hates angling and wants it banned. She's been banging on about this for years. Secondly, if there is split shot in the swans, has it been confirmed that it actually is lead? High blood lead and split shot in the gizzard, they could be overlooking the real cause if the stuff in the gullet is lead free.

Bewdley Mayor, Barbara Stallwood, who is supporting the protest, said to the anglers: “You are our lifeblood. Without you this town will crumble.”

At least the town mayor seems to have grip of economic reality. Anglers pump millions into the local economy every year and while the loss of a short section of river isn't going to have a huge impact, if it were to spread, pubs, restraunts, hotels and holliday businesses in the area would wither and die.

If this silly woman wants a ban, she'd better come up with some concrete facts implicating current angling practices in the death of the town's swanns. So far, all we have is a lot of hot air and no smoking gun.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Hi Guys, :D

I come in peace. My name is Ian Phillips, i usually post on Barbel Fishing World as esox and i have registered here specifically to ask for your help.

I didn't know that you've been debating this here for some time and only got involved when the problem was posted on BFW. Things are moving rapidly and now is the time to make your feelings known, i know from earlier posts that some of you have already been in contact and maybe no one was listening then but they seem to be now!.

The following is a short report of the rally and a call for your support again.....

Fishing Ban in Bewdley Protest– Update!

Firstly can I just say a big THANK YOU to everybody who has shown his or her support so far.

The rally went ahead as planned on Sunday in Bewdley and was attended by nearly 200 Anglers. People attended from all over the country including, Sheffield, Manchester, Liverpool, Essex, Kent, London, Ludlow, Oxford, South Wales and Devon, not to mention many anglers from different parts of the midlands. There were lots of messages of support from all over Britain and from as far afield as Oregon! The local press was there as well as Des Taylor and Greg Whitehead from Angling Times and thanks must go to them for getting the ball rolling.

See hear for reports - BFW thread

And here - Protest

Lots of plans have been made and the fight goes on. Local Anglers will be working alongside the NFA and the ACA as part of a delegation of Anglers attending a Council meeting on the 30th June to put the case against any bans or restrictions but it is still down to us, the ordinary Angler, to have our say.

The battle is not over it’s just begun so get involved. Have your say, let your opinions be heard even if it’s just an e-mail to those in authority. Your opinion counts. We have friends in high places on our side and we need to show them our support and others that we won’t be pushed around any more.

If you would like to let your opinions be heard please direct your e-mails here: contact

And here:

Andrew.Dickens@wyreforestdc.gov.uk

REMEMBER: This may not affect your fishing now but it may well do in the future.

Cheers Ian.

P.S. Apologies if the links don't work, just copy n paste if they don't.

REMEMBER: This may not affect your fishing now but it may well do in the future.

More importantly, This is a short length of the river where parents holidaying in the area can let their kids have a fish on the river without stumping up for extra licences or club cards.

This is real "future of the sport" stuff as far as clubs like the BAA and KDAA are concerned.

There were less than half a dozen swanns in the Severnside South area yesterday. I'm not sure where they've all gone but they suffer every winter when it gets cold and the chip feeding from tourists drops off. Perhaps last years floods coupled with the winter chip shortage have pushed them elsewhere.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you get lead substitutes below no 8's? Also i know you can get lead substitutes above an ounce might a compromise be to enforce a total lead weight ban on the area for a cpl of years (needs enforcing) just to prove its not anglers?.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

I think the ban should go ahead with the following proviso

No Swan will be permitted to leave the area, if seen on other parts of the river it can be shot and eaten. (without asking HRM)

All canoes and small boats must remain in this area otherwise the above applies to them too.

All dog walkers must insure there dog **** only in the area were the fishing ban applies

All users of this stretch of water will be charged a fee similar to the fisherman’s rod licence and or must pay a fee each time they use the water

All Local industries (management and staff) in the area that have used lead in there processing over the past 100 years or so

Are banned from using this area or any other public amenities in the area

I think that’s a fair exchange for anglers to have to give up a stretch of water that they have happily fished for hundreds of years without any previous problems.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"