Angler's Net Fish-In at Wingham

Steve Burke

Tinca61 - 6 hours? Ouch.

My trip to SC is longer but should be fast since only about 10 miles at the beginning and 5 miles at the end are on 2 lane highways.

The remainder is all Interstate, I-85, and unless there is something strange like a huge accident that closes the interstate (rare) I should be able to average around 60mph for the the trip.

No real city driving involved and only 1 town to pass thru so around 2 miles where there might be some traffic.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick report before I turn in. When I left in the afternoon most of the lads had just got themselves sorted out in their swims. Rob, who had come all the way from Liverpool, quickly had a hard-fighting pound plus perch.

However Dave Lloyd had earlier had a magnificant pb tench of 8lbs 7ozs. It contained more of less no spawn so would be between 9 & 10lbs at its peak weight. It didn't fight hard and seemed bemused, suggesting that it had never been caught before.

Pics to follow in due course.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Many thanks Steve for inviting me along at the last minute (my intended wrecking trips in the English Channel were blown out by the gales)

Left home Sunday morning at 5 am in torrential rain ("you are mad" said Norma) But the rain had ceased by the time I got to Wingham. Observed a number of well soaked Anglers Netsters in the clubhouse :rolleyes:

Fished the morning and got five hard-fighting Wingham perch, from a pound to 2lb 3 oz, plus another hook-up that dived into a weedbed and shed the hook (musta bin a monster - I'll 'av you Thursday sunshine)

Met up with Rickster, Leon and Steve - (nice to have met you all) then knocked off at 1 pm to drive home in time to drink my lunch :cool:

Learnt a lot, as I saw some tench rolling (cast to that area - which is how I got five perch :confused: ) and an enormous bream rolled over deep water to my right - double figures at least.

BTW Steve, my apologies, I forgot to enter the perch in the book, but will put that right on Thursday when I'm having another go.

Pleased to hear some others did well, but will not steal their thunder as they will want to tell y'all themselves.

As I said, the only angling trips I regret are those I didn't go on - I'm delighted I went on this one - got a bonus in the form of hearing ( new hearing aids - marvellous, NO thanks to the NHS) turtle dove, reed and sedge warblers, whitethroat and the squeal of a water rail - magic.

PS Thanks Steve for taking pictures of my best perch (battery in my camera had expired - what a prat for not having a spare :(:( )

[ 08. June 2003, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

David Lloyd (David L.) has asked me to post this as he was still fishing when I left, and on getting home was going to bed early as he's driving to a job in Scotland at 4am tomorrow.

After his superb 8-07 tench yesterday, David arrived at 7.30 soon after the torrential rain stopped. Within seconds he had a bite resulting in a 1-03 perch!

The next fish was very powerful and smashed him. However this and a couple of missed runs were soon forgotten when he landed a very chunky and hard-fighting tench of 6-11.

In the afternoon Dave then connected with another very powerful tench, which he got to the surface within a few yards of the net. Then the hook pulled! It was very definitely longer than yesterday's 8 pounder so who knows what it weighed.

Congratulations though on a new personal best tench - what a cracking start to your Wingham career!

[ 08. June 2003, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Rob Ward has also asked me to post his results as he's now on his way to Bluebell Lakes for a crack at their carp.

Rob made the long journey down from Liverpool, and is delighted he did so. He had personal bests in no less than 4 different species!

His catch, like everone else's all came on worm and consisted of:

tench of 6-00, 6-06 & 6-06

perch of 1-14 & 2-02

pike of 14-08

a huge eel, about 3½feet long that escaped through a hole in his landing net!

Anyone got any idea of how much such an eel would weight? Incidentally, Rob said it was a big-headed specimen and so probably one of the predatory variety.

Leon Roskilly:

I moved into Vagabond's swim, the moment he left, and almost immediately had a 1lb 10oz perch.

Thanks for prebaiting for me Vagabond   :)  

Splendid, I thought the swim was still good for more - mind you, I expect you to return the compliment if I come up to have a go at the North Kent mullet

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Well what can i say about my night at wingham?

It was very wet infact that wet that at around 7am we took refuge in the clubhouse.I think we was the only 2 that blanked on there but thats fishing. I'll defently be going back next year for another crack at those perch and tench but next year i will be better prepared and have some sort of knowledge about the water.

For those who didnt go all i can say is you missed out on a spectacular water with excellent ammenities. Where else do you go where theres a shower for you to use a kitchen to make food and drinks and place for shelter in the adverse weather?

Where else can you see unspoilt countryside at its best with all the wildlife.

Where else can you go where the owner, tenent can tell you about every feature, bank,bars and the like in every swim on a 40 acre lake?

I cant think of anywhere like that.

One last thing which must go to the most knowledgable man i know on any water is a BIG THANK YOU to steve whos generosity was very much appreciated. (This man give us a lift to our doorsteps on sunday, gave us bait when we ran out gave us some invaluable information)

Oh yeah steve book me in for next year!!!

Visit our NEW FISHING Website (now updatedANGLERS-TALES

Dear Steve

Thanks for the fish-in at the weekend.

Wingham looking good as ever if not better.

Already looking forward to next year...probably bring some lobs too!!

Nice to catch up and hear how it's all shaping up.I know how much time and passion has gone into making Wingham just how special it is. Surprised more did not make it down!? :confused:

Congrats to anyone who caught PB's..Or in Robs case 4 PB's.

:cool:

I wonder how got on at Bluebell...when on a roll eh!

Thanks once again Steve it does not go unappreciated. :D:D:D

Hope to catch up on the net when not fishing !

Steve & John

John "The Block" Westley