LEEDS CENTREPIN

sless

i wonder if anyone could help me out here,ive just bought a leeds centrepin reel 4" dia,do i put line straight on the spool,or do i need to put backing line on like a fly reel,im going to put berkley trilene 12lb on,do i fill the reel up to the rim or not

many thanks

You need no more line on the reel than you actually use. Only advantage of backing is to increase the diameter for a very slightly quicker retrieve. My 'pins have no more than about 50 yards on 'em! Good reel by the way!

Too much line leads to 'bedding in', stopping the line from smoothly coming off the drum, especially if trotting a weak current.

I'll typically load my line with around 30yards of 4lb line for general trotting, perhaps 6lb if there's a liklihood of connecting with rainbows/carp 6lb+, going down to 2lb if I'm concentrating on dace and roach under 1lb and there's little liklihood of a chub barging in on the session.

Use a floating line for trotting.

What are you fishing for sless? 12lb line seems a bit heavy unless you intend stalking larger carp on stillwater. If that's the case, I'd go for at least 50 yards.

You will not be using the reel for it's trotting abilities, just as a 'winch' to appreciate the direct contact with the fish, and enjoy the direct control of the fight that a centrepin gives you.

Much like my mullet fishing with Leeds pins. :)

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

thanks very much for the info

ive never used a centrepin before

i bought a kp morritts centrepin,filled it with 10lb line,the next day i looked and the spool had exploded

im going to cyprus in may and there are 10 lakes there

so im going to give it a go,

might even try it in salt water(for pollack)

i have some very light floating braid,would that be any good?sorry for all the questions

but i honestly dont have a clue

Peter - I have a Leeds pin and initially it was fine but then after a while I had problems, usually after having taken the spool off for some reason. On replacement, the spool appeared to be fouling the plate somewhere but I could never figure out where.

Used to just reseat it a few times, if that didn't work I usually gave up and went back to the fixed spool. Sound familiar?

Jim.

Ive had a Leeds for a long time now never had the problem jim has mentioned.The adjusting knob on the back plate often works loose though.Is this because I use the reel with the line comming off the top and batt to retrieve though?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Guest sslatter

BUDGIE:

Ive had a Leeds for a long time now never had the problem jim has mentioned.The adjusting  knob on the back plate often works loose though.Is this because I use the reel with the line comming off the top and batt to retrieve though?

My local reel service place put some "thread stop" (I think that's what it's called) on the thread that the retaining nut threads on to, on my Leeds pin. The stuff is blue and sticky and will stop the nut from vibrating loose.

Thread lock is available through motor factors etc. Usually made by Lok tite, be very careful with it as one drop is a lot!

Also bear in mind that there will be times when you wish to remove it, for cleaning etc. too much threadlock could make this extremely difficult.

I found that grinding the center of a large flat blade screwdriver, so that it resembled a fork made a useful tool for tightening said nut.

thread lok is good, nail varnish is nearly as good, isnt so hard to remove and unless you're single there will be some lurking round the house somewhere!