The christening

Tigger

Nice one Tigger, another great session! You've certainly got some great fishing up there. Double on the pin next?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Ian, really enjoyed the report and the pics! Catching one Barbel on the pin is hard enough but you seem to make it sound positively easy! Nice brownie and Roach as well. N

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Fundamentally fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences. It makes you notice the little things of nature, wherever you may be. ~Bernard Venables

too many nuisance fish in the pictures for my liking :rolleyes: ,great looking reel ,fantastic fish and pure angling magic .and reading about it is the next best thing to actually doing it oneself .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Well done Ian, really enjoyed the report and the pics! Catching one Barbel on the pin is hard enough but you seem to make it sound positively easy! Nice brownie and Roach as well. N

Actually Nicholas it's down to a little knowledge/ watercraft, a little skill handling the gear and a hell of a lot of luck m8. :)

Nice fish and would have been better if 'framed' on a unhooking mat.

Yea I know I will get flack but fish are very prone to disease after being led on dry grass etc.

What a load of twaddle Teme Man! Where did you get that from?

That grass looks anything but dry to me and quite acceptable to lay fish on. And I say that despite championing the use of unhooking mats when we first developed them back in the 80's! Over zealous preaching about the use of them just alienates people who we try to encourage to use them in situations they are needed!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

What a load of twaddle Teme Man! Where did you get that from?

That grass looks anything but dry to me and quite acceptable to lay fish on. And I say that despite championing the use of unhooking mats when we first developed them back in the 80's! Over zealous preaching about the use of them just alienates people who we try to encourage to use them in situations they are needed!

Here, here, I too am sick of this rubbish being spouted, disease from grass, eyes poked out etc. I'm surprised that any fish have survived the last few hundred years of angling. The next thing will be "don't put them on grass cos' they've got hayfever"!

I rarely use an unhooking mat, preferring to unhook in the net when ever possible. I do always carry a few bin liners that double as something to lay the fish on, as well as taking rubbish home. Some time ago I told of the lad I watched carrying chub of 2-3lb up the bank to unhook on the mat, because he'd had it 'drilled' into him that it was the 'best' thing to do. Cobblers! They were meant for fish too big to handle, or difficult to unhook.

Their over use can be a detriment to fish welfare, the opposite of their purpose.

Sorry about that Ian. Congratulations on the catch, a nice bit of 'proper' angling for a change. ;):D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Can't believe you just typed that, you seem to have an opinion on everything and yet when it comes to a basic piece of kit then you say I am talking Twaddle. Without going into detail I am sure you are aware of the benefits of using a mat, especially with heavier fish to but you prefer to have a dig at me, just for the hell of it...pathetic.

Don't flatter yourself! I do have an opinion on a lot of things.......but only if I have enough experience to be able to offer a valid one. I comment only if I have something I think needs saying and this is not at all influenced by who has made the post.

Ive agreed in the past just as strongly with things you have said as I have disagreed with others.

I wont even go into the argument of me not helping new anglers as I feel the many posts I have made on here alone (let alone the teach ins I used to do) speak for themselves. Also I view trying to point out rubbish spoken by others as an important way to help new anglers that may be misled.

Now if you want to debate the issue fine just give me some reasons/facts/evidence and I will gladly change my view but I'm afraid that my experience as an angler,a qualified biologist and fishery manager has never shown any disease caused by laying a fish on grass. But if you just think I'm having a "dig" because its you then you have really got me wrong and nothing I can say will be listened to.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!