The christening

Tigger

As it happens so do I ( unhook in the net) But if I wanted some trophy shots I would use a mat, or similar, can't believe some on here prefer to diminish their usefulness, and just because you have repeated that same story about the chub does not excuse their use either :rolleyes:

Really thought that some of the more experienced on here would support me, but no matter I know that you are in the minority, thankfully :D

Read the post again Neil, I didn't "diminish" the use of uhooking mats, just the over use of them. That, and the constant preaching about so called 'bad practise', instead of just congratulating someone on the catch.

What disease are fish prone to from being laid on grass, (dry or otherwise)?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about that Ian. Congratulations on the catch, a nice bit of 'proper' angling for a change. ;):D

John.

I tried trotting a bit lighter today to see if it was any better for the silvers. A three BB float and 0.9mm/2.2lb bottom which did seem to work to start with as i was putting a nice net of roach up to a pound and dace to about 10oz together. After about an hour the first barbel found me, but it was only about 2lb so i coped OK. From then on the roach didn't show again, but the dace kept on coming along with a couple more small barbel to about 4lb. Then i hooked a lump that was clearly in a different league and as it powered off it just took my hook with it. I put a new hook on but after 10 minutes the same thing happen again, so i called it a day.

I weighed off at 17lb 6oz which didn't include the 3 barbel or a couple of trout that i had landed as they had gone straight back. All in all a pleasant few hours of proper fishing. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I tried trotting a bit lighter today to see if it was any better for the silvers. A three BB float and 0.9mm/2.2lb bottom which did seem to work to start with as i was putting a nice net of roach up to a pound and dace to about 10oz together. After about an hour the first barbel found me, but it was only about 2lb so i coped OK. From then on the roach didn't show again, but the dace kept on coming along with a couple more small barbel to about 4lb. Then i hooked a lump that was clearly in a different league and as it powered off it just took my hook with it. I put a new hook on but after 10 minutes the same thing happen again, so i called it a day.

I weighed off at 17lb 6oz which didn't include the 3 barbel or a couple of trout that i had landed as they had gone straight back. All in all a pleasant few hours of proper fishing. :)

The fishing you and Ian have local to you sounds just my cup of tea Brian.While we have some great still water fishing down here in Kent we are a bit lacking with running water sport!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

You did well getting those barbel in on 2.2lb bottom Brian, just shows you know how to play a fish properly, a bit of a rarity these days, well done m8 !!

The fishing you and Ian have local to you sounds just my cup of tea Brian.While we have some great still water fishing down here in Kent we are a bit lacking with running water sport!

Budgie, your always welcome to join us m8.

You did well getting those barbel in on 2.2lb bottom Brian, just shows you know how to play a fish properly, a bit of a rarity these days, well done m8 !!

You do have the best clutch there is on a pin. -> :thumbs: <- :)

I'd a lot of barbel last year up to 10lb on 3.5lb bottom and never got beat once. I'm not a big fan of leaving hooks in fish so I'm not sure i will be using 2.2 again soon. Well not till it gets colder and i can avoid the barbel a bit better.

Budgie, your always welcome to join us m8.

Yep, If I'm about I can always get a guest ticket if your ever passing this way Budgie. Just don't bring your bait waiter as you will never get it in the river bed. :)

What disease are fish prone to from being laid on grass, (dry or otherwise)?

John.

Its more the 'possibility' of disease by the removal of mucus/slime by a dry surface, rendering the area in question less protected against disease I believe. Same sort of thing with the stiff grass 'stems', (deja vu?). Did catch a Bream blind in one eye the other day. Unlikely to be a grass stem injury but looking at the poor things mangled mouth, a distinct possibility.

For the record I always use a damp unhooking mat(Ok, ok, its wet bubble wrap!), If I need/have/want to remove the fish from the water. Unless I can comfortably hold it of course.

Renrag

Edited by Renrag39

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Its more the 'possibility' of disease by the removal of mucus/slime by a dry surface, rendering the area in question less protected against disease I believe. Same sort of thing with the stiff grass 'stems', (deja vu?). Did catch a Bream blind in one eye the other day. Unlikely to be a grass stem injury but looking at the poor things mangled mouth, a distinct possibility.

For the record I always use a damp unhooking mat(Ok, ok, its wet bubble wrap!), If I need/have/want to remove the fish from the water. Unless I can comfortably hold it of course.

Renrag

And are you trying to tell us that your unhooking mat doesn't take any slime off? My unhooking mate ends up full of it and i always wet it first (when i use one) and my landing net as well. I think in a perfect world we just wouldn't take photo's or maybe not even go fishing......

Did catch a Bream blind in one eye the other day. Unlikely to be a grass stem injury but looking at the poor things mangled mouth, a distinct possibility.

Renrag

Oh, so it got it's mouth mangled on the grass as well as having it's eye gouged out then :rolleyes: .

Maybe your hook/ hook removal/ fish handling damaged it's mouth and possibly it baged it's eye on a rock as you reeled it in, unless of course your finger nail caught it's eye <_<