TalkSport Now re. Banning Fishing

rabster

Paul ( Magpies etc ) hear what your saying but any species which has not control on it's ultimate population is only limited by food and reproduction.

Doves, ect. I trained in Farm management and lived/worked on a farm for several years ( many years ago ) so imagine you were protecting grain silos etc ?

Andrew Boyd

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andrew Boyd:

Paul ( Magpies  etc ) hear what your saying but any species which has not control on it's ultimate population is only limited by food and reproduction.

Doves, ect. I trained in Farm management and lived/worked on a farm for several years ( many years ago ) so imagine you were protecting grain silos etc ?

Yup. And my family, here and there, at one time, owned a few (farms).

Farmers I know now fall into two, possibly three, camps:

1) The old boys, still farming (just about), with the motto: "Do it as we've always done, Amen."

2) The old boys, retired now, some having handed on the operation to 3) below, with another motto: "Just what the hell were we doing back then...?"

3)The youngsters, 2) above's successors, with the motto: "You can blast, trap, snare, poison, generally eradicate all the pests you like, but for b-all result; the 'pests' merely regroup (as Nature and its creatures have a way of doing) and come back at you five-fold. Besides, the farm visitors, B&B people, cottage-renters and weekenders like to see the little devils..."

[ 02. March 2005, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Paul Boote ]

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

you can thin them out in the vicinity but more will come in find more food (due to a lower population) and breed their little socks off within a year you will be back to square one.

theres a type of finch in parts of africa ,the locals actually "mine" a whole bunch of tree's wait till the little birds land at night and blow the whole lot up 100'000's at a time all they have accomplished is strangly mutilated trees with 100,000's of fresh birds ,i expect little brother knows the name of the fluffy birds in question

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Hi Lee

Thanks for such an optimistic and welcome response... much appreciated.

Your point about the website is well taken and helpful. FACT has a huge list of "must do" actions that all merit immediate attention, but with so much to do and virtually no funds as yet, this will have to be prioritised, inevitably. This is against the background of dealing with all the day-to-day stuff that just cannot be ignored.

A website is up near the top of the list, but the very first key task is to appoint a part-time Executive Officer, who will be charged with the initial job of keeping the ship afloat while seeking sufficient funds to make all of the aspirations become reality.

We have interviews in two weeks time, ahead of our next meeting, but if anyone is interested in applying there is still time! Please PM me if you need details. Sheep are not eligible... why mix business with leisure?

[ 03. March 2005, 01:18 AM: Message edited by: Bruno Broughton ]

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

Very heartening that! With an energetic and able Chief exec FACT could take off. Bob James maybe? Jardine perhaps? And one of those was tongue in cheek!

[ 03. March 2005, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Sorry to go back a bit - pros and cons of Magpies. I can't see any pros. I moved to my little bungalow some 16 years ago and the one thing that struck me was the 'dawn chorus' and in particular a VERY loud little Robin. Alas, all I here these days is Chk! Chk! of the magpies. Experts tell me that magpies don't use the same nest twice??? RUBBISH!!! We have THREE (3) permanent nests here and as a "protected"species the Magpies rule!! I want to ask a simple question, what about the 8-10 species of birds that the magpies have eaten!!

[ 03. March 2005, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: kleinboet ]

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Peter Waller:

Its been said before, Waveney, if angling gets banned it will because of anglers' behaviour. You have mentioned litter. I would add anti-social behaviour.

Peter perhaps you should take a long hard look at yours and others posts here. There is sufficient material for a number of articles by anti angling campaigners.

I am very sad at the way that this thread has been hijacked. The rather childish and obvious 'jokes' are not particularly funny and have no place on what should be a serious thread.

Shouldn't the moderators take some action or is talk of beastiality acceptable here?