virgin Lakes and ponds

delby

I fish several small unstocked ponds and rivers for carp and tench these are totaly natural fish, most have never seen a hookbait any suggestions on bait as they seem preocupied on naturals

Agree with all the above plus...dendros and...

What about pre-baiting for a couple of days to wean them off the natural foods, with an easy alternative? Dead maggots are good and they stay visible, frozen to kill them and defrosted in cold water so they come out plump and firm again.

Tench do seem to like curry-flavoured dead maggots (my god, if there's anything that puts me off eating curry, this is it), then you can fish live ones on the hook as an eye-catching wriggly attraction.

Weed raking on the pre-baited swim can help sometimes, but if the substrate is black smelly silt, I'd leave the rake at home.

Also, if there are any swan or zebra mussels in the lake, I know a couple of anglers who say the swan ones can make the difference, but to be honest I've only tried them a few times and not with much success.

If you can't prebait, I'd go for dendros on the hook and make a ground bait of simple bread crumb and chopped worms. I really do believe that freshly cut worm juice is a real turn on for just about every freshwater fish that swims, but for some reason we all get obsessed with 'alien' flavours (me too). I vaguely remember that there was a study many years back on the essences that stimulate feeding among juvenile carp and worm juice was at the top of the table. Buggered if I can remember the rest though.

All the best

Jason

Start introducing some floating baits like bread, dog biscuits etc each time you go. The fish shouldn't take too long to discover themand once they're feeding confidently you should have some great sport.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

why try to wean them of natural foods??

What i would do is goto the ponds and look around the edge and find some natural bait (worms slugs etc are going to be winners) but what about berrys from trees etc also look in trees for grubs etc

Visit our NEW FISHING Website (now updatedANGLERS-TALES

rickster:

why try to wean them of natural foods??

What i would do is goto the ponds and look around the edge and find some natural bait (worms slugs etc are going to be winners) but what about berrys from trees etc also look in trees for grubs etc

They sound like ideal fishing spots to me. Why do you want to 'wean' the fish off their natural food. Tutti-frutti boilies don't grow on trees.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Sweetcorn (or boiled, sweetened, flavoured maize) works from the first grain on unfished waters - personally field tested lots of times, including 30+ fisheries in 11 US states (and 4 of the 5 Great Lakes... still to crack Lake Erie)!

Prebaiting with corn/maize is not essential, but if you can add a bit the day before, or add some at the end of each session, so much the better.

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

Definitely agree with the above. Chick peas can also be a brilliant bait on lightly fished waters. You may run into trouble with other species, but put up with them, as any carp in the area will certainly take them, and will push the other fish out when they arrive. Don't waste your money on boilies until absolutely necessary, which with any luck it won't be.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.