Mitchell 300XGE reel ...how do I....

Leedobson

I've just got back into fishing again after about 10 years away....and I'm building up my gear gradually for mainly float fishing on my local canal [ Calder and Hebble navigation ]

I just bought a Mitchell 300XGE reel, and I really like it...but..

How do I remove the spool ?

Mitchell's scant instructions don't show/tell you how

If it is like all the other Mitchell spinning reels after the old 300 which had a push button, you simply unscrew the plastic drag adjuster at the top of the spool and lift it off.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

How do I remove the spool ?

Mitchell's scant instructions don't show/tell you how

If the reel is the same as the new Mitchell 300X I have, the spool comes off by gripping it at its base and turning anti-clockwise. This leaves the clutch adjusting mechanism in place. This is a patented process by Mitchell (damn clever these Chinese). This was quite clearly explained in the manual that came with the reel I have. I am assuming you bought the reel new.

If this does not work, Ask again with details of how you are trying to remove the spool. Please keep in mind the 5 hour time difference in our locations.

Hillbilly.

Hiya Red. Good to see you posting again.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hiya Red. Good to see you posting again.

Thanks, Newt, I haven't posted much on here as can be seen by my join date and post count, in fact this my first post for a few years. The reason for this is the time difference between the UK and the USA. I have been lurking though but not joining in.

But there is GOOD NEWS. On Wednesday, next week, My Childbride and I fly to Blighty for a six month stay. We are thinking of moving back to live in the Old Country to spend our retirement but don't want to burn our bridges by selling up and buying a new house etc. I think a six month stay will let us know if we will be able to settle down or not. The place has changed a lot in the 30+ years since we left and we know this from our bi-yearly visits. The Brits on this forum will know what I mean by that and it can be explained by the footnote in your posts.

I am looking forward to doing the type of fishing I did in my youth, trotting a stick float down the R. Trent. I am also looking forward to kitting myself out with some new fishing gear. Obviously I will not be buying expensive stuff because if we decide to come back the USA, I'll be selling it in six months or more likely giving it away. I will not be buying a computer so will probably not be posting on here for a while.

Anyway, tight lines to everybody.

Hillbilly.

Guest Jan V

Might want to wait until the housing market gets better before considering selling/buying anything. It's a buyers market, but selling a house here in the States could be a lose-lose situation. We're about to find out....

Red, take your UK tackle back to the US and show them some real angling!

Peter, I have plenty of Uk tackle over here already from my many visits. I fish for carp 95% of the time (sorry :D ) but I use very light tackle. Carp are the only fish common to both countries (at least where I live). You wouldn't believe the looks and comments I get, especially when I tell them I'm fishing for carp. To be honest, carp fishing is catching on, starting mostly in the "pay lakes" where heavy gambling takes place.

I could bring my UK stuff over but I would have to give up one suitcase of our checked baggage and I will need all of that with a six month stay. Don't tell my wife but the real reason is I want some more Brit style gear ;).

Hillbilly.

It will be interesting to see how you find the home country after so long away.