Always Tangling

RoachLover

When I float fish I always end up tangling wether that be wrapping the rod tip or tangling my rig up. HELP. Im sick and tired of tangling up it genuinely puts me of float fishing if I have to float fish i dread it. Can anyone help me? :o

Tangles are all part and parcel of float fishing but can be avoided in many ways. Your rig tangling is often a result of incorrect shotting or poor casting in my experience. I would suggest looking at a few books or even a Google search for correct ways to shot your float setup and this will very likely help a great deal.

Wind is also a factor and can leave you very frustrated when it keeps on blowing your float into bankside bushes or wrapping around the tip. The best way to combat this from my experience is to observe the way the wind is blowing and compensate accordingly with how you hold the rod and which angle you use to bring your rig to hand.

The more you float fish the more you will be able to adapt your style to the various problems that can arise.

I certainly wouldn't let it put you off the method. If wind is far to strong then it may be wise to seek a more sheltered swim or consider another method.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Are you stick float fishing or Waggler?.

From experience if your stick float fishing and try to overhead cast you'll get a lot of problems.

With waggler its hard to describe a basic shot pattern but try this. number 8 shot 6 inches from hook a number 6shot 13 inches from hook then another number 6 27 inches from float the remainder of shot around the base of the float.

The thing you'll notice is at each shot the line will swing like a hinge so the hook wont reach any of the shot.

Another thing that helps a lot is if you "Check" (stop the line with finger on spool) just before the float lands this helps regardless what style of float fishing your doing.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Good advice above.

If you are serious about float fishing, get a copy of Billy Lane's "Encyclopaedia of float fishing"

His diagrams give you the correct shot sizes and positions to avoid tangles.

However, there is one situation that invariably causes a tangle, however clever your shot spacing is - that is when you hook a decent fish, the rod arches over - and the hook pulls ! The shots come whizzing up and wrap round the rod tip like a South American gaucho's bolas tangling with a steers legs.

When that happens it is usually quicker to "cut your losses" and start again rather than struggle with the tangle. The saving grace is that by the time you have done that the swim will have settled down again, expecially if you keep a light loose feed going whilst you re-rig.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Sounds to me like a lack of smoothness when recasting. Any jerk knock will bounce the float around the tip. Try lengthening the distance between rod tip and float, in old money 12 - 15 inches. Keep all recasting movements smooth and consistent. practice will help.

If you are serious about float fishing, get a copy of Billy Lane's "Encyclopaedia of float fishing"

Another vote for that book here. I got a copy for a very good price after a recommendation on here and although old the diagrams are simple and the reasoning behind the patterns are made clear.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk