Fishfinder

PeterNE1

Bit of simple advice please? Without breaking the bank, I'm looking for some kind of fish-finder type device, suitable as much as anything for identifying depths and structure, possibly within in-built GPS, though I can do that as an exterior option. Maximun depth I'm ever likely to be over is 40 feet or so, and it must be usable from an inflatable running with an electric trolling motor.

Thanks

http://www.fishfinder-store.com/piranhamax-230-portable.html

No GPS but both conventional and wireless sensor heads available. You will need to look for a UK-legal version since unless things have changed recently, the US ones broadcast on a band that is restricted to emergency vehicles in the UK.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Peter i am guessing that you will use a hand held GPS as a cheaper idea in which case any of the base models will suffice ,I had a basic garmin 100 model with a transducer bracket which found me drop offs/structure etc without confusing me with elevenynine programes/options .

You can sit bthe ntransducer in a plastic bag in the bottom of the boat to shoot through the hull meaning with that or the bracket you can buy the basic rather than portable versions saving yourself a bit of wedge Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi JV44 - Could you explain what you mean about putting the transducer in a plastic bag? I'm just about to fix a transducer inside the bottom of my kayak with silicone sealant. Have you found a better way? Thanks.

Peter i am guessing that you will use a hand held GPS as a cheaper idea in which case any of the base models will suffice ,I had a basic garmin 100 model with a transducer bracket which found me drop offs/structure etc without confusing me with elevenynine programes/options .

You can sit bthe ntransducer in a plastic bag in the bottom of the boat to shoot through the hull meaning with that or the bracket you can buy the basic rather than portable versions saving yourself a bit of wedge Steve.

Hi JV44 - Could you explain what you mean about putting the transducer in a plastic bag? I'm just about to fix a transducer inside the bottom of my kayak with silicone sealant. Have you found a better way? Thanks.

Take a ploastic bag[clear ones best ] so you can see the transducer is facing down ,Put transducer in and half fill with water then tie bag at top to stop water escaping and sit it in the bottom of canoe ....you may need a bit of tape on transducer cable to keep it upright and it will shoot through the hull .

I use this in my Portabote sometimes as it has to be assembled each time and a permanetly fixed transducer is a no no .

A permanently fixed transducer in your canoe [ie fixing with silicon]is easier than the bag drama each time though and in your instance may be the better way forward Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Take a ploastic bag[clear ones best ] so you can see the transducer is facing down ,Put transducer in and half fill with water then tie bag at top to stop water escaping and sit it in the bottom of canoe ....you may need a bit of tape on transducer cable to keep it upright and it will shoot through the hull .

I use this in my Portabote sometimes as it has to be assembled each time and a permanetly fixed transducer is a no no .

A permanently fixed transducer in your canoe [ie fixing with silicon]is easier than the bag drama each time though and in your instance may be the better way forward Steve.

Thanks for the useful advice. I'll probably go ahead with the sealant.