bream spod mix

Feederfisher

Mostly, the existence of purpose made carp puddles doesn't directly impact my fishing. I simply don't fish in them. I lose out when a traditional water is converted, but I have the advantage of not living where I grew up, so although I know it has happened to some waters I used to love, I am not directly affected. Most of the rivers I fish now have some carp in them, but they're still a relatively rare capture in the lengths I fish, and I don't think the populations will sustain themselves at high densities if the escapes from puddles stop.

There are things that do worry me, however. The commercial interests which run them publicly kicking off about otters casts angling in a poor light with the public. I think the combination of artificially high stocking densities and catch and release is ethically dubious, and while I am prepared to live and let live, I am surprised we aren't getting a kicking for it from the usual suspects.

Listen to this from 47 minutes in - it's from the comedy prom broadcast last weekend (and worth listening to the whole show).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b01381wd

I liked it apart from the reference to lead - it's been banned for nearly 25 years now, and we are still associated in people's minds with poisoning swans.

(Same thing on YouTube)

Youtube Video ->
Edited by Steve Walker

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny but (unless I'm mistaken) it was made 22yrs ago Steve, just a couple of years after the ban.

I don't know what their following is now, but they are hardly in the same league as Flanders and Swan.

I do agree though, that there is a negative opinion of angling, by many of those who care enough to have an opinion. And angling itself does little to prove them wrong.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I don't know which part of the North East your from Andy, but you can't be that far from me. The Yorkshire Rivers nearly all contain carp now, and some catfish. A situation that's only happened fairly recently, so they must be escapees from these waters. You only have to look at the number of 'new fisheries' that have been created in E Yorkshire, (very flat area, prone to flooding), and the surrounding drains that lead to the R Hull etc. It's only a short swim to the Humber, then the Trent and Yorks Ouse, and their tributaries. Then you've those at the side of the Ouse itself, and the Aire, in particular.

As for anglers uniting, sorry but I don't think that it will ever happen. I've seen too many so called representative bodies come and go, each had it's separate agenda, and sadly I don't see the Angling Trust being any different. We agree on the influence of commercial influences on angling, and I believe that it is a major part of the problem.

John.

We can but dream John.

On a stretch of the trent in my club, there are some reputed large carp to double figures, maybe an invasive species, or an introduced species !! by a silly angler who might think its great to have them present in a place that is predomintly a bream, chub and barbel area. Oh not forgetting the mighty silvers,

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Funny but (unless I'm mistaken) it was made 22yrs ago Steve, just a couple of years after the ban.

Thing is, John, they performed it live at the Proms last Saturday night, to a full Albert Hall and god only knows how many of us were listening on Radio 3. It would be churlish to expect them to drop or change the song, just because it unfairly slanders us, but the point is that message "anglers use weight which poison swans" is still out there in popular culture all these years after we stopped using lead.

What I'm saying is that mud sticks, and if Wilson gets it thrown at him for wanting to cull otters, or the people fishing stew ponds get it thrown at them for their battery fishing, it will stick to all of us.

Thing is, John, they performed it live at the Proms last Saturday night, to a full Albert Hall and god only knows how many of us were listening on Radio 3. It would be churlish to expect them to drop or change the song, just because it unfairly slanders us, but the point is that message "anglers use weight which poison swans" is still out there in popular culture all these years after we stopped using lead.

What I'm saying is that mud sticks, and if Wilson gets it thrown at him for wanting to cull otters, or the people fishing stew ponds get it thrown at them for their battery fishing, it will stick to all of us.

Sorry Steve, I didn't realise that it had been performed recently, I was just going by the date of the film.

I agree with everything you are saying, but I am at a lose as to what can be done about it. It would seem from my forum trawling that we are in a minority, and Anglersnet is one of the few places where these issues get a balanced airing. But it's a case of 'preaching to the converted' most of the time.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Something that is related to this post. I was in bed unable to sleep properly last night and an idea came to me. To combat the subsurface tow on a large lake rather than spod your bait out why not employ the use of a large bait dropper? That way you know for sure that your bait is getting down there. Even if is drifts a little it has to be better than it drifting 20 yards and then you can simply cast your hookbait onto where you were letting the dropper land. Seems like a decent idea to me and one that is worth giving a go.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Something that is related to this post. I was in bed unable to sleep properly last night and an idea came to me. To combat the subsurface tow on a large lake rather than spod your bait out why not employ the use of a large bait dropper? That way you know for sure that your bait is getting down there. Even if is drifts a little it has to be better than it drifting 20 yards and then you can simply cast your hookbait onto where you were letting the dropper land. Seems like a decent idea to me and one that is worth giving a go.

Bait droppers are no good for any distance.

Maybe a new design would be with this in mind ;) I am taking calls from korda as we speak :D

A long distance baitdropper/spod type thing that opened on the lake bed would be a winner :thumbs:

Some sort of spomb type thing that would not open when it hit the water but would stay closed until it hit the lake bed, but then would it not just give the same effect as catapuling out heavysticky groundbait balls :unsure:

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

A long distance baitdropper/spod type thing that opened on the lake bed would be a winner :thumbs:

Some sort of spomb type thing that would not open when it hit the water but would stay closed until it hit the lake bed, but then would it not just give the same effect as catapuling out heavysticky groundbait balls :unsure:

Maybe adding a springload mechanism to the dropper would work. As it hits the lake bed it works in the same way as a conventional dropper but then as the latch opens the front there can be a spring inside that will eject the bait causing it to spread a little more. It would be an incredibly accurate way to feed somewhere like wingham for example and mean the fish will be exactly where you want/expect them to be.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk