Mint

davedave

Of all the flavours used in glugs, dips, groundbaits, flavourings, pellets, boilies etc, you never see mint. Bit of a weird questioni know but it struck me today fishing (and eating an extra strong mint) that you don't see it, and there are some weird flavours out there, a bloke opposite me was using irish cream boilies! :lol: :lol:

So is there a reason mint isn't used? Do fish not find it appealing or is it harmful to them?

Or is it just that it is one of the weird and wonderful flavours that has yet to be used as bait?

:g:

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Hair rig a polo and find out...!?

You could even try a mint toffee thingy, might be easier to mount.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Mint-t13489.html

Didn't seem popular, even back then. Chances are, there's a reason, but if you can't found out a genuine reason, try it and draw your own conclusions. Angling is full of self-fulfilling prophecies - people going against the grain often get nice surprises!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Elton's spot on there.Give it a go you may be surprised.

For many many years its been the accepted thing that carp did not like citric acid so and of the orange, lemon, lime,grapefruit type flavours would be a waste of time. Some argued that an artificial citrus fruit flavour wouldn't contain citric acid any way but no the experts said.

A few years ago though I lived with a friend up in London.Her step son had a Koi pond the size of a swimming pool in the garden and it contains 30-40 carp (both koi and a few commons/mirrors etc) most around low double figures........they are worth a fortune (and not a small one either!). They are feed once a day on a show standard Koi pellet but for treats are given prawns and ...wait for it.....!... ORANGES! These are simply cut in half and thrown in.The carp/koi just suck all the flesh out and leave the still intact peel. I kid you not I was amazed the first time I saw this but have seen it many times since.So much for the experts eh?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I bet they'd taste nice! B)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I am currently making my own boilies. I purchased various flavours from Tesco's home baking aisle.... Orange, Strawberry.... and one of them was ''Peppermint!'' I will make some of them tonight and let you know how I get on, the orange worked well so lets see if the Peppermint out-catches it :)

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

dave2,

Carp approve of peppermint and to a lesser degree spearmint. "Mint is not a flavor.

Budgie makes the same error, "citrus" is not a flavor. For example, carp are quite fond of orange and lemon (and others) but NOT grapefruit. Grapefruit is "bitter" and carp definately shy from bitter. Orange and lemon are "sour". I assume it's because grapefruit is bitter, but they surely don't like grapefruit

I used to say "bitter" was repulsive to carp. Tank testing indicate that is generally a true statement. However nobody told the carp about the tests. Coffee is "bitter"; coco is "bitter" and some guys swear by chocolate and use coffee as a dip. Go figure???

The five tastes are:

sweet

sour

salty

bitter

(and MSG is a new taste for which I don't know the scientific name - but it is now officially a 5th taste).

Phone

What was that capsicum based creme you recommended a few years ago? I know several hard core carpers gave it a try.

1950.gif

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

dave2,

Carp approve of peppermint and to a lesser degree spearmint. "Mint is not a flavor.

Budgie makes the same error, "citrus" is not a flavor. For example, carp are quite fond of orange and lemon (and others) but NOT grapefruit. Grapefruit is "bitter" and carp definately shy from bitter. Orange and lemon are "sour". I assume it's because grapefruit is bitter, but they surely don't like grapefruit

I used to say "bitter" was repulsive to carp. Tank testing indicate that is generally a true statement. However nobody told the carp about the tests. Coffee is "bitter"; coco is "bitter" and some guys swear by chocolate and use coffee as a dip. Go figure???

The five tastes are:

sweet

sour

salty

bitter

(and MSG is a new taste for which I don't know the scientific name - but it is now officially a 5th taste).

Phone

Good to see you back mate hope all is well with you.

Interesting information re the "taste" "flavour" thing. Where do you reckon "smell" "scent" fits in here? Also interesting that MSG is classed as a "taste" If asked I would have thought it would have come under "bitter" as Ive found that when Ive made baits using it to enhance flavours (its designed purpose I believe rather than the added bonus of giving humans that "just one more" desire with food) they often have an underlying bitter "tang" Agreed possibly to using to high a dose and not enough sweetner but still bitter none the less.

With the "bitter" v "sour" thing next time I'm up there I will do an "experiment with lemons/limes/grapefruit along with the oranges to see what the carp themselves think! I had certainly never thought of the difference between them (as in the difference between bitter and sour) before.

Also if Mint isn't a flavour I presume the herb mint (as in minted peas/potatoes,mint sauce) is Spearmint then? as its definitely not Peppermint is it?

This whole business of flavour and smell is very confusing when it comes to fish and fish baits! Look at how some artificial "flavours" (for the lack of a better word) lets say just for argument Strawberry may smell of Strawberry but certainly don't taste of it! surely these are more accurately scents/smells than flavours? Whilst others do taste the same as they smell!

As water is the medium with fish (as opposed to it being air with humans) do fish smell or taste our baits from a distance.Yes I know they have noses but do they work more like taste than smell (as humans perceive it?) Some fish have tongues but as these are found in predators I presume they are not really taste receptors like in humans but more for maneuvering/manipulating their food?

All questions Ive asked biologists,flavourists (is that the right job description?) etc and none really have had the "cross over" of knowledge needed to give a good answer.Be interesting to hear others interpretations both angling wise and professional.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!