sludge in the stream and pond

wotnobivvy

I have a pond where the pump pushes the water up to a filter with a UV lamp and into a header pool, from whence it flows down a stream, over a slate waterfall back into the pond. I have been a bit behind this year and the pond has built up a lot of suspended brown stuff. I cleaned the filter which was filthy but the pool hasn't cleared. In the stream, what used to be green streamer type algae now has gone a brown colour. When I remove this a lot disintegrates into a muddy coloured sludge that washes down onto the pool. I have used various barley straw additives, as well as an algae eater. Have I overdone it and all the algae has turned to a brown suspended sediment. Do I just need to clean the filters again and again until it all clears. I have used some stuff called JBL Organopond which is supposed to eat up sediment, but it hasn't helped. Any ideas

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Just keep sluicing the filter pads regularly. The algae has died off. It shouldn't harm your fish.

Ther's not much else you CAN do bar draining it and manually removing it.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

That 's good news thanks. I'll get the kids on it as school is finished :D

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Solids removal - yuck. Once you've had a settlement chamber full of brushes and the means to easily drain it, you'll never want to filter solids with foam or floss again.

• 4 weeks later...

If you have a swimming pool, blow up type, over 8 foot diameter transfer your pond water into it.

Then put in your fish.

The benefit is that you are keeping your pond water.

Do not remove more than 75% of the sludge from your existing pond as it is vital for good microbes and bacteria that break down waste.

Algea browns as it dies and this is affected by the seasons. If you think that your UV is not working as well as it should take it out and thoroughly clean but be careful not to touch the glass with your hands, Marigold gloves are what I use.

Next time your children go net dipping ask them to collect a creature called the water slater. These little creatures breed fast and clean up pond sludge. They also provide a great food for your fish.

Link Provided.

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/pictures...php/photo/55375

To ensure that the water slaters have no parasites put them in a seperate unit for a week, with some sludge to feed on, with a mild salt water solution. Use cooking salt only @ 4 teaspoons per pint.

All the best.