Some River Advice Needed

larsagi2010

Ok, so recently I have been targeting the River Dee for its magical Carp. Its not like most places where its stuffed to the brim with the buggers, in fact its quite the opposite! Although these Carp may not be common as such, they are generally pretty big (up to 33lb fish have been pulled out this year alone)

A few questions I have are:

Do Bream and Carp generally feed together, because we have come across some 6-7lb Bream. I was always led to believe that if the Bream feed there, Carp would certainly patrol also, and possibly around the same times....

Also what baits would you recommend? I have been using Boilies as a primary bait, but I have to use 15mm or 20mm as I am getting plagued with my most hated species ever...

THE EEL!

In fact on Corn/Maggot and even 10mm boilie I have had 28 of the things over just 4-5 hours.

Is there any way to deter the eels? Should I just pre-bait with hemp/boilies or something instead of groundbait and other things... Although the eels put up an excellent fight in the higher lb ranges I am getting driven to insanity with them!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

I have no definate answer to the problem, I feel if I did I would have answered the ultimate fishing question. Carp do indeed feed with bream, they usually bully them out of the way & take over the spot. This can take anything from 30 mins to many hours before they come in to feed. I bewlieve they cruise round til they find other fish feeding, take over & stay til all food gone. As refards the eels, although nice to know they are back in our waqters, they aren't evryones fasv fish. The only way I know is to persevere & attract other species into your swim. try balling in more bait to attract others as the eels should be scared off by the activity & the carp come in. try biolies of a less meaty flavour as this may help, prwehaps tutti fruiti, pineapple or similar.

I have no definate answer to the problem, I feel if I did I would have answered the ultimate fishing question. Carp do indeed feed with bream, they usually bully them out of the way & take over the spot. This can take anything from 30 mins to many hours before they come in to feed. I bewlieve they cruise round til they find other fish feeding, take over & stay til all food gone. As refards the eels, although nice to know they are back in our waqters, they aren't evryones fasv fish. The only way I know is to persevere & attract other species into your swim. try balling in more bait to attract others as the eels should be scared off by the activity & the carp come in. try biolies of a less meaty flavour as this may help, prwehaps tutti fruiti, pineapple or similar.

Fishing is the most peaceful & solitary group activity a going. Every watewr is different every day, thanks for that as same would be boring....

Fantastic, thanks for the response!

We have found that most often the bites seem to slow right down to a near stop after 11pm (Except for the eels!). This confused me as the section of river is extremely busy with boats during the day, I always felt the boats would scare the fish off and when it goes quiet at night (It goes silent) the Carp would emerge from the shadows and feed heavily...

Maybe the Carp are using the boats to their advantage and prefer the silt and disturbance in the water?

Nevertheless the Bream and Hybrids are about in the evening so the Carp certainly cant be far. I will try more fruity flavours tommorow night and also perhaps try changing some of the feeding we are doing. We have tried fishing it dry (No bait other than hook) which was great for roach. Tried fishing it and feeding moderately around the hookbaits, which got more eels/bream involved. Yesterday we pre-baited heavily at 2pm and fished it from 6pm until about 3am and the bites were slower than ever (Maybe we overfed?)

I guess its just a case experimenting and persevering with the swims/conditions/baits ect:

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

I can't recall eels ever bugging me on bread, or hemp or wheat, for that matter. I'd suggest trying seed/grain bait in general, and chick-peas and bread in particular. Possibly corn, but it's appeal seems so universal that I wouldn't be surprised if it got eeled.

Ok, so recently I have been targeting the River Dee for its magical Carp. Its not like most places where its stuffed to the brim with the buggers, in fact its quite the opposite! Although these Carp may not be common as such, they are generally pretty big (up to 33lb fish have been pulled out this year alone)

A few questions I have are:

Do Bream and Carp generally feed together, because we have come across some 6-7lb Bream. I was always led to believe that if the Bream feed there, Carp would certainly patrol also, and possibly around the same times....

Also what baits would you recommend? I have been using Boilies as a primary bait, but I have to use 15mm or 20mm as I am getting plagued with my most hated species ever...

THE EEL!

In fact on Corn/Maggot and even 10mm boilie I have had 28 of the things over just 4-5 hours.

ive found they are nearly allways near the bream,try plastic corn or a 22mm pellet

Is there any way to deter the eels? Should I just pre-bait with hemp/boilies or something instead of groundbait and other things... Although the eels put up an excellent fight in the higher lb ranges I am getting driven to insanity with them!

Any help would be much appreciated!

try plastic corn or 22mm pellets Edited by fishtec1312

BIG air dried boilies/halibut pellets/tiger nuts, two of either on a hair. Or plastics. It sounds like it's pointless baiting up with smaller items as the eels will scoff it all.

I've had most eel problems on sweet fruity boilies by the way, so I'd stick to fishmeal.

Whether the bream and carp hang out together, I don't know. On most waters I've fished they've kept their distance from each other, but that's not to say they won't feed on the same spot at different times.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Simple answer, learn to love the humble Eel. Actively targeting the larger ones will keep most bootlaces away but also allow you to catch the Greggs specials and Bream.

Try using an 'Eel Rig' such as the Sidley Rig on a 'spare' rod and see what happens. Always works for me, once I target a species I'm buggered if I regularly catch them!

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue