Carpers rant.

RoachLover

Now Ive done loads of carping! (lots on here tend to forget that and my current involvement in the big carp scene)and I spent many years (despite having fished for as equally many not specifically for carp) with a boillie for a brain and being equally as daft

So very true for a lot of long standing anglers It took me many years to get back to KISS and sort out reality from theory.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want a really good rant (the best ones are more of an essay - go for it) have a look at the rigs the gravel pit big roach anglers use now - that should get you going!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I don't see what people don't like about carp fishing. They put up a great fight, they're heavy, pretty and as they get bigger they get increasingly clever and harder to catch. Although when i began fishing for carp i set myself three rules, Don't use boilies, Don't get a bivvy, and Don't wear camo. Just because i didn't want to get too 'into it' if you know what i mean. I don't like the mentality of some of the carpers, that carp is all that is worth catching. Carp is by far the only thing i fish for, i still love catching perch in the autumn, fishing rivers, and catching bream, tench and every other species of fish, carp fishing is only a small portion of my fishing but sometimes it's nice to go against fish that put a real bend in the rod.

I think that you are probably judging based on little actual knowledge. Although i do like to keep my rigs simple and nearly always fish a basic free running ledger or float rig, the other rigs do have a place, and, lets face it, the high tech rigs and baits and everything, although not everybody's cup of tea, do catch a lot of fish.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Ive just spent an hour typing a proper "rant" and clicked on a link my bird sent me to look at some poxy head board and when I clicked back to the "reply" it had gone pointless trying to re type it all.

Suffice to say it centred on Daves comment.We/I dont not like carp or carp fishing but more what it has become and how it affects other forms of angling.

There we go best part of an hours rant summed up in two sentences. :rolleyes:

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

All,

Let me clear my comment a bit. Over here you can catch as many carp as you wish - almost whenever you wish. Still, some prefer to "try out" news from across the pond or ideas generated on the bank duing the wait between fish or local conversation. In many parts of the country we have enough carpers (although admittedly only a few by other species standards) at the drop of a hat you can organize a 'friendly' (two or more pals going for a 3 hr to 3 day session).

No question in my mind - to compete for the "specimen" (top 5%) in any particular wild water venue there may be some value to users of the convoluted tatics (like using boilies(?)). Mind you, I call them convoluted in the sense you could if you so choose catch 15 - 20 lbrs til your arm hurt freelining bread. But the "big girls" (probably anything 30+ in the US) without having to wade through the tiddlers I've mentioned seem to respond to those "expert's endevors". Maybe there is something to it and maybe it is because they fish at every chance(?).

I am however of the opinion that 85% of the specimen fish will be caught by 15% of the anglers regardless of the chosen sporting method. It requires a particular dedication to be a specimen angler. They do well freelining also. But it is because they have the concentration and confidence required to specimen hunt which also makes them a bit "over the top". Over the top is good in that they are first class in their care for the enviornment, the fish, their equipment, the rules, etc etc.

Phone

Suffice to say it centred on Daves comment.

What was the jist of it? I'm intrigued now budgie :P

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Suffice to say it centred on Daves comment.

What is it with all these carpers and all this high-tech gear they use and flippin chod rigs and what not. I mean c'mon get real yes they catch fish but whats with all this complexity. Rig rings puty absolute rubbish. KISS keep it simple stupid.

Two questions (without question marks), one verbless phrase and a slogan. Many could answer , but with such strong evidence of a closed mind, why should they bother?

If you really want to know "what's with" the rigs, a quick search would give you plenty of in-depth explanation.

If you actually fish for roach, have you not noticed that the top roach anglers are well-versed in many different methods? What, one might ask, is "with" elasticated poles, puller rigs, power-gum feeder rigs with heavy bobbins, spraying, strangulating, stret-pegging, trotting, holding back, fishing "up-in-the-water", even floats needing more than one shot?

Do you really only fish with one bait, freelined? That's simple. As soon as you need to cast or have a bite indicator other than the line or rod-tip, it starts getting complicated, and that requires thought.

Or asking nicely.

What is it with all these carpers and all this high-tech gear they use and flippin chod rigs and what not. I mean c'mon get real yes they catch fish but whats with all this complexity. Rig rings puty absolute rubbish. KISS keep it simple stupid.

KISS keep it simple stupid its an acronym

Just an expansion of what I said in my summary Dave ie "We/I dont not like carp or carp fishing but more what it has become and how it affects other forms of angling." And then a rant about why,how it has changed and examples of how it affects other anglers and angling in general.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!