Carpers rant.

RoachLover

Ive just spent an hour typing a proper "rant" and clicked on a link my bird sent me to look at some poxy head board and when I clicked back to the "reply" it had gone pointless trying to re type it all.

Type it in Word first Budgie then copy/paste into the thread. You get spellcheck that way.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Type it in Word first Budgie then copy/paste into the thread. You get spellcheck that way.

A lesson I "learned" a long time ago Chris but still don't do all the time! You know how it is these "monster" posts are rarely intended as such! they seem to grow and have a life and flow of their own! Ive no longer got word (got Open Office which I downloaded free but don't like as much as Word) but do have a Google tool bar that includes a spell check.....but often in my haste to broadcast my thoughts forget to use that as well :cry: Also the Google tool bar check button sits just below my refresh button on the windows tool bar...............................I have a bad habit of hitting refresh and losing the reply instead of the check!

When Ive wrote something which actually manages to capture my views on any often repeated topic I like to save it for further reference to/cut and pasting it.

This one especially peed me off as it fell into the save category :doh: But it wont be the last I'm sure! Jo was really apologetic about "causing it" but I couldn't be angry (just frustrated) as I say I should know better by now.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Let them get on with it Roachlover. I can't be upset with your view as KISS is usually better IMO but each to their own as they say. I like Eels and have to use awkward rigs at times to get them at their best without deephooking them.

Its much the same with the Pike Noddies, but at least the Carpists know what to do when they hook a fish.

I've, several times now, unhooked a flailing Pike for either A/ The well meaning Piker/Beginner who got in over their heads and B/ The wait 20s noddy brigade before striking.

Always they say thanks. The A/ Group I ask to watch and learn. I usually find them out to be B/'s by their attitude to my request, I know what I'm doing, stupid fish woz greedy etc... Yeah right, you're halfway through your 3rd 2l bottle of White Lightning... They say thanks eventually. I cut their traces and wander off hoping they've no more.

Renrag

Edited by Renrag39

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Does it really matter whether some one wants to fish with complicated rigs or simple tactics as long as they are fishing responsably.

Fly anglers can take great pride in tying there own flies and so why should a Carp Angler take any less pleasure in creating a fine rig?

Keep it simple or over complicate things it's your choice and if it gives you enjoyment fishing that way, whats the harm?

As Newt mentioned about lure fishing, it may not always be the best method on any given day but if it's a style of fishing you enjoy why not go for it.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

All the complicated rigs were first designed by someone with a specific problem to overcome. I know a few good carp anglers, and none of them would use something complicated for the sake of it, but they're smart enough to know when to make some tweaks to solve a specific issue.

It's using complicated rigs, assembled from a pile of expensive, branded plastic bits and pieces, without good reason and without knowing why that's the daft thing.

Newcomers to fishing (which means carp fishing these days, more often than not) are sold all this stuff via free DVDs and in the mags, and are told - this is what you need to catch carp. How are they to know any different?

Good, independant advice is so hard to come by now. Everyone with a public platform is backed by tackle and bait manufacturers, and their 'advice' is based around that. The magazines are so beholden to advertisers that the advertisers are now the customer, and the reader is the product.

The sad thing is that when new anglers are not catching, they have been conditioned to think - it must be the rig, or the bait. Those problems can be solved easily by buying new rig bits and tying up the latest rig, or by buying the new boilie that everyone's raving about. In most cases, the real reason will be nothing of the sort, it'll be some of the angling basics that are free, but take a little time to learn, and require a teacher without an agenda. Not many of them about now.

There you go - not my best, but not a bad rant ;)

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

There you go - not my best, but not a bad rant ;)

Not really a rant Andrew. Sadly, more a statement of fact.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Newcomers to fishing (which means carp fishing these days, more often than not) are sold all this stuff via free DVDs and in the mags, and are told - this is what you need to catch carp. How are they to know any different?

Because they have more then two brain cells and can tell the difference between advice and an advert.

Good, independant advice is so hard to come by now. Everyone with a public platform is backed by tackle and bait manufacturers, and their 'advice' is based around that. The magazines are so beholden to advertisers that the advertisers are now the customer, and the reader is the product.

But surely even those new to fishing are not that naive to believe what they see and read on TV programs and in the mags. It's hardly subtle stuff, they are always photographed/filmed decked out in all the logoed gear with the set nicely dressed with bags of boilies and tackle from there sponsored tackle firm. As you point out all the magazine articles are just long adverts. Surely even if you are not the sharpest hook in the tackle box, once you have seen two editions of any mag you could work out that all the articles are designed to sell you products.

Are the British that dumb? I guess maybe we are :D

I don't mind the mags pushing new tactics and all the product placement that goes with it. It's not there fault if people are stupid and can not draw there own conclusions. Those that run out and buy all the must have new tackle because they saw it in a mag are the same sort of people who rush out and change there soap powder because they saw an advert on TV last night that said it gets your whites a 100% whiter. A gullible fool is a gullible fool whether they fish or not.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I don't think it's anything to do with stupidity or naivety or being gullible Dales, and I'm certainly not looking down on anyone, in case it looks that way. If I imagine myself now as a new angler, I'm sure I'd be falling into exactly the same traps. How would I know any different? Who would teach me?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I don't think it's anything to do with stupidity or naivety or being gullible Dales, and I'm certainly not looking down on anyone, in case it looks that way. If I imagine myself now as a new angler, I'm sure I'd be falling into exactly the same traps. How would I know any different? Who would teach me?

I also mentioned that mate! I don't blame the young/new angler at all and as Ive said many time I would have been the first our getting this kind of "bling" gear when I was younger! It just looks (and is made to look) so good! As Anderoo says when something is a great mystery the "thinking" guy will be the first to latch on to any information/help he can................then the more experienced he becomes and the more knowledge he gains through it the more he can start thinking for himself and is less susceptible to the marketing boys.

But hats off to the marketing boys though if you look at it they are really very clever! The cleverest example of their art isn't so much the direct "in your face" product advertisement or even placement,its the "subliminal placement".By that I mean not the DVD/photo article promoting the latest "silly Sod" rig or whatever but the not mentioned but often seen bag of "Masterbaits" just in shot! The thinking "sharper carper" looking for any "edge" really thinks he's been Sherlock Holmes when he spots these "unmentioned" baits in the corner of the shot! and of course he goes and buys a packet or ten!

To a degree (even though I hate the "snideness" of it) I suppose it doesn't do any harm as at least it gives the guy a bit of confidence that he is using the right bait.rig etc and I reckon that's a really important factor in either.

I just get my back up when the non informed lecturer me (almost preach) how wonderful product "X" is and slag me off for not using it or having the audacity to point out that my experience shows it to be not that wonderful!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!