Carpers rant.

RoachLover

Not everyone cares why they do catch, but everyone cares why they don't catch.

Very true, but are the tackle companies/commercial scene responsable for some ones judgement. If they are a mug punter and they get fleeced for the newest gadget/bait so what. It's that old fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. But when you get to the stage you have tried out 50 different bags of boilies or rigs and you can't still catch, then that person is an idiot if they think changing there rig and bait is going to make any difference then they are beyond hope.

The only difference now is that many anglers take up angling because it is the 'in' thing, and some success is almost guaranteed. Advertise a 'new must have' rig/bait, (usually designed for a specific purpose), used by the 'famous' I Catchum to pull out a large (usually) carp, and the gullible angler has to buy it. He goes to a water over stocked with fish and, (surprise, surprise) he catches!. It must therefore be a fantastic rig/bait. The fact that he could have caught using a much simpler, (and cheaper) rig/bait doesn't enter his head.

Yeah also very true but if he is happy with the result and he thinks he is top rod, I say good luck to him but like every one else as long as it does not effect my fishing.

Angling is in grave danger of losing it's identity completely, and just being another form of entertainment, along with games consoles and the like.

Again so true, it is just a form of entertainment for some people and to me that's fine. To others it is so much more and I think those with real passion for angling will never see that others like and enjoy there catching. Fishing is big business and has deleloped or being reduced to that, take your pick. There is no getting away from it, whether we like it or not. I take the view so what, if some ones wants to buy every little bauble the tackle companies dangle in front of them or fish in a stew pond, it's no skin off my nose. (So why do I get involved in these threads :D)

I totaly see why so many get annoyed by how the whole machine impacts on there own fishing but I don't see what any one can do about it other then try and find there own little bit of fishing paradise some where before they all go.

New anglers may get herded like sheep in to multi rod set ups and commercial pools but they don't get locked in (Well some do lock you in) but if they like it they will stick to that sort of fishing. But no one says they must stick to it, other fishing is out there and once you have fished for even a short while you will notice that.

I think it's because Carp fishing on commercials is so alien from most AN members idea of fishing that it's just so hard to understand that others enjoy it and like most things in life these days peopel want to be spoon fed everything and for lots of people that includes there fishing.

How often do we see posts, going to fishery X this week end, can you let me know the best peg, method and bait :D So let the machine pick them, chew them up and give them a good shake so every penny falls out of they pockets and then spit them out.

I really need to stop defending modern fishing and commercials :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Angling is in grave danger of losing it's identity completely, and just being another form of entertainment, along with games consoles and the like.

I'm glad that the majority of my angling years are behind me, and I experienced it when I did.

When people ask "does it matter?" and say "what harm does it do?" it is inevitably (well I suppose I should say often as I can think of a few exceptions) because they only know the modern scene so have nothing to compare it to.

OK, we 'old timers' might swim against the current trends, but it's because we remember what it was like, before 'instant' catches were promised/demanded.

And surely this is just as good a reason for as it is against our views being valid?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I think that rather than the 'top end dedicated anglers' not understanding modern day ticket angling and the motivation of the anglers who fish such places, it's the other way around. I certainly wouldn't think of any of them as mugs either, or that it's OK to fleece them.

People enjoy their fishing when they get better at it. Doing badly (poor catches, blanks, tangles, whatever else) is frustrating for everyone. To get better, you need to know the basics and you need to know what's important and what isn't.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

(So why do I get involved in these threads :D)

Because you care mate. Your posts are allways more questioning of others views in an attempt to understand them rather than just dismiss them.You try to view things in a balanced way. You do a variety of different styles of fishing that you enjoy equally.For you fishing is fishing regardless of species,venue,method etc etc. I doubt that there is any type of days fishing I could offer you and you wouldn't be interested in coming.

For the people I/we are talking about then fishing is carp fishing simple as that.And these people are becoming the predominant type of angler in today's world.

I think that rather than the 'top end dedicated anglers' not understanding modern day ticket angling and the motivation of the anglers who fish such places, it's the other way around.

Im glad that two of us agree at least!

Now this I disagree with as I think the opposite is more true!

Although Carp fishing isnt my cup of tea i'm now of the view that if commercials and carp pools hadnt become so predominant then a lot of what we take for granted as bait , tackle and tactics wouldnt be readily available now. I've never made my own boilies have a rough idea how but just never have. Its just so much easier to go buy them. The same actually applies to maggots and casters how many of us have bred our own maggots. I did it a few times years ago much to my mums annoyance.

I'm old fashioned as i think a lot of the present day anglers hav'nt served the "apprenticeship" catching small fish and building up to being specimen hunters. But if i was honest would i have tried for instant glory when i first started if it was an option?.

At the end of the day it boils down to the question each of us have been asked by a non fishing friend.

""" Why do you go fishing? , its Boring ""

We each have our own reasons and should accept others reasons with equal respect.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

We each have our own reasons and should accept others reasons with equal respect.

Absolutely Terry, but it has to work both ways, and I don't think it does any more.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Very true.

Absolutely Terry, but it has to work both ways, and I don't think it does any more.

I do find myself getting caught up in these sort of "discussions" and don't always take on board what people say straight away. I think in future I may side step some threads. I always seem to end up disputing points with the anglers that I respect and generaly agree a lot with.

No more commercial pools/modern carp fishing threads for me :shutup: But like John no doubt at some point I will not be able to help myself jumping in :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

It certainly doesn't work both ways. I'm not talking about the attitude of anglers, what ever they fish for. It's how waters have been changed to accommodate, and promote the 'instant angler' industry. If anyone wants to spend their money on bits of kit, that promise the earth, but don't deliver, then more fool them. It has no effect on me or my fishing. But, when waters are being changed and turned into artificial catching ponds, then that's a different thing completely. I haven't got one still water fishery, (within reasonable travelling distance), that hasn't fallen foul of this madness. Every one has been stocked with loads of carp, to the detriment of both the water, and the other species in there. Now these waters are spilling their crap into the rivers.

It's all right saying, "each to their own", and "we all enjoy different types of angling". I would like to enjoy my type of angling, but I've had that choice eroded over the years, until there's little if any choice left.

So no, I won't stop complaining/ranting, (whatever anyone wants to call it), and I do feel bitter, and angry. More so about the anglers who can't, or won't, see the damage that has been, (and is still being) done to our waters.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

All,

It amuses me that an AN anglers age can be determined almost exactly by his opinions in posts he makes to threads like this. I have 5 daughters ranging from age 14 to 54. I am 75. I too try to inculcate and justify the "simple" approach (as BUDGIE puts it). Actually, my 14 year old, by far my most clever child, never learned to write cursive. Isn't required in school any longer as she elected to take keyboarding in the 2nd grade. She can print although IMO quite poorly. She can text and tweet at well over 1000+ characters a minute (85% misspelled - gurrrr). I ask her, just for the heck of it, which do you think is "simpler" a pencil and paper or a keyboard. - I don't have to tell you her answer (to simple) do I? BUDGIE how shall we define simple?

If the goal if the angler is to catch fish during limited sessions and the "simplest" way, by the book, is to stop by the "bait shack" (I forget the English term) and buy a bottle of pop; a bag of bait and a couple pre-tied rigs - - - - I get it - - - don't like it, but I get it. Not their fault they haven't had to pay their dues spending hours on the bank blanking.

Just offhand I'd say gozzer is as old as I am also. I won't stop bychin' but I get it!

Phone

Fun thread, everyone should have the catch the first fish of every session by freeline. NO PREBAITING (leave a level playing field) Then you may progress to "simpler" methods. That's what I say.