1. 1. wots the hardest fighting fish pound for pound

• carp
    • tench
    • bream
    • roach
    • rudd
    • pike
    • perch

I was left feeling very puzzled as to the disparity between our experience and the received wisdom of others.

Even Rudyard Kipling, writing in "The Brushwood Boy" describes the mahseer as "beside whom the tarpon is but a herring"

Must have another week on the Cauvery sometime to test the mahseer again!

I think (and I'm sure Ken would back me up on this) that many anglers fish for mahseer in completely the wrong way and allow them too much lee way to get behind rocks, under branches etc. If you get over the top of a mahseer they don't seem to go anywhere and become very ponderous. Historically anglers cast downstream to a rock that a fish may be hiding behind and then have to cope with a wily fish behind a rock several dozens of yards downstream.

Also, I feel too many anglers still have this learnt behaviour and stick the rod up in the air once a fish is hooked. That makes fish fight much harder.

I've never hooked a tarpon or bonefish or marlin, I'm pretty strictly a freshwater angler.

Next time you get out to India (Karnataka), let me know in advance and I'll show you some of the other species in the rivers there...

The Mahseer Trust, working for one of the world's iconic fish and the rivers they live in

www.mahseertrust.org

Fishery info for the Westcountry:
www.coarsefish-torbay.co.uk

Want to learn from Will Raison and Neil Machin?
check out
www.v2vangling.co.uk

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you get over the top of a mahseer they don't seem to go anywhere and become very ponderous. .

Ahhhh!

Thank you, your post explains a lot, because "getting over the top" is precisely the way I instinctively played those mahseer.

Many years ago Dick Walker told me how important it was to get over a big cyprinid, "get the rod tip above him" he said, "and he will go round and round like a frisky bull on a pole" Word of wisdom I have never forgotten.

Thanks for the offer, will certainly get in touch before a second crack at the mahseer.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

ponderous

Hmmm. Can't say that was a word that sprang readily to mind when I Scott hooked the first 20lb+ mahseer that either of us had ever seen and it preceeded to tow him, me and the coracle 50m upstream before we got any sort of control over the fish.

Of course, I got over these worries when I was fishing on my own by simply chucking an anchor over the side when I hooked a fish, but again, "ponderous" isn't really what I was thinking when a really big fish suddenly decided to head rapidly upstream towards a timber pile towing me, the coracle and the anchor up the river. OK, so they don't jump but they do demonstrate a degree of raw visceral power that few other fish can match.

Mind you, I do agree about tarpon. I've only ever caught the Indo-Pacific variety but.....Wow !

But those boys are salties and you have to throw them in the ring alongside GT's and the like.

Even in temporate waters, salties fight harder than their freshwater counterparts. A sizable (5lb+) lure caught pollock would take anything in our lakes and rivers to the cleaners.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

In my experience I would have to say Mullet are the hardest fighting fish Ive caught in freshwater,with trout (either sea or overwintered rainbow) in second place and barbel in third.

I make a point of timing a lot of the fights and although the length of fight is not all I reckon it's a pretty good indicator of how hard your fish has fought. FWIW I figure on average:-

Mullet - around 1 minute per pound.

Barbel - around 2-3 minutes per pound.

On similar tackle. I do love my mullet fishing but it's a long time since one has taken me over the 5 minute mark.

Not that I've ever caught one, but from the videos I have seen, the Papuan Black Bass is about the most brutal bruiser with fins. Lefty Kreh rates it at the top of his list.

Have a squiz:

http://www.baiafishingpng.com/gallery.htm

Edited by Bobj

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

I'd love to catch these perch and tench that fight harder than carp! I've had big perch from a few places and none have fought as hard as a carp of the same size, ditto tench (except males).

Not being funny, but a 3lb common will surely fight harder than a 3lb perch, and an 8lb common will surely fight harder than an 8lb tench?

(That's not to say I prefer carp to either perch or tench, because I don't :) )

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I think (and I'm sure Ken would back me up on this) that many anglers fish for mahseer in completely the wrong way and allow them too much lee way to get behind rocks, under branches etc. If you get over the top of a mahseer they don't seem to go anywhere and become very ponderous. Historically anglers cast downstream to a rock that a fish may be hiding behind and then have to cope with a wily fish behind a rock several dozens of yards downstream.

Also, I feel too many anglers still have this learnt behaviour and stick the rod up in the air once a fish is hooked. That makes fish fight much harder.

I've never hooked a tarpon or bonefish or marlin, I'm pretty strictly a freshwater angler.

Next time you get out to India (Karnataka), let me know in advance and I'll show you some of the other species in the rivers there...