Fen fishing Social

Norfolkdipper

I'm always up for a trip back to the fens - I've got a couple of things planned for September but I'll come along if the timing is right :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I am quite new to this forum and would be interested in attending one of the meets.

I have fished the Fens for the past three years, fishing September through to March targeting the Zander and I have beem known to stick a rod out for the Bream and Tench.

post-23456-1312198982_thumb.jpg

I would recommend fishing the Ouse near Ely. This stretch is run by Ely Beet who do day/night tickets at £5.00 for twenty four hours. This part of the river is probably the best area if you want to catch your first Zander. They are there in good numbers up to 9.5lb with a really good chance of a double. There are also good numbers of Bream, Roach etc...as well.

If the river is very clear Roswell pits is just up the road. These two pits tend to have some colour to them giving a better chance with all species. The pits are also run by Ely Beet at £5.00.

Three rods are allowed and there are no silly rules.

Darrell

Thanks for the details darrell. Could be an option to concider. I am now getting answers from the EA & await more from them. Which I will post as soon as I have it.

Here is my original request

Where is it possible to hold a fishing / social day in the fens? I am asking as I am hoping to organise the first ever gathering for a face 2 face of 'Anglersnet.com' members so we can have a good day fishing & chatting. The forum has thousands of members, but thankfully scattered around the country. I hope to attract the more local members to attend, although as yet numbers not known. Is there a stretch of drain held by yourselves & not a club water? Any advice would be appreciated.

Yours with thanks

Mark

This is today's reply ( them in black & my reply in blue.)

Subject: REF110801/MB02:

Thankyou very much for your promt reply.. The answers to your questions are as below, in the best I can explain. I hope these help you in answering my original question of :- 31/7/10.

* Does the information required relate to a particular river or stretch of river?

The event is hopefully going to be on the fens, at the moment exact location unknown. this is the reason for this question. I am looking for a stretch of water that hopefully is NOT a club water & open to the public. The event is a way for members of 'Anglersnet.co.uk' forum to actually meet up & enjoy our favourite sport.

* Any additional information you believe may be useful so that we can clarify your enquiry.

This will not be a match just a friendly gathering of anglers to enjoy a days fishing. At the moment about 12 members have shown an interest, but once more details are posted I expect this to rise to about 30. My target date is Saturday 10th September 2010.

* Specific area for the proposed event.

A stretch of a fenland drain op0en to public & safe to fish. I have also contacted local clubs to ask same question, I await thier replies. As you are the controllers of the waters, I naturally thought you would have more at your disposal to give the answer. Possible areas are ;- 1) Sixteen foot drain, east bank north from Bedlam bridge.( O/S Explorer 288 gr 468E 948 N) 2) Cut off channel, south bank to the east of college road B1160, ( O/S Explorer 288 gr 666E 997 N)

Yours Mark

More to be posted as recieved...

Fishing is the most peaceful & solitary group activity a going. Every watewr is different every day, thanks for that as same would be boring....

Hi Mark

The cut off channel that you mentioned would be fine if you want a social as you would probably not get any fish interfering with the days talking. Its so clear, very weedy and no ones really fishing it due to lack of smaller fish.

The larger tench and bream are difficult to locate and do not feed at all on bright sunny days.

However there are still zander but again they are very nocturnal.

It is a KLAA water.

I don't know anything about the 16ft so cannot help you there.

As Darrell says Ely beet have long stretches from littleport to Ely on Ten Mile Bank. Ten mile bank is probably as good as any venue in the fens and quite central. KLAA have long stretches on ten mile bank at the denver end and south for about 5 miles.

The LAA have a long stretch between Littleport and southery. There is part of the old A10 which is now a big layby. There is plenty of parking, good river access with very short walks (just over the bank) and a large grassy area ideal to meet, park and fish.

I could arrange daytickets as I am an LAA fisheries officer albeit not for this stretch. Daytickets are £4. I have never seen a bailiff on this stretch so far.

If I can be of any further help please just ask.

regards

John

10/9/11 is bang-on for me. Anyone near GY need a lift?

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Seems to me I have finaly on a good idea. Thanks to all for posting your thoughts, should be quite an event. So many good ideas for locations, really starting to look forward to it. As so many are wanting to 'zed' it, I better make sure there is night fishing. Was originally thinking it would just be a handful on the day, now I am see we may need more bank to spread along.

For those who read but don't post, ( PM me if you would rather not post) you are most welcome to turn up on the day. Exact details will be posted beforehand so everyone knows where & when. As will all email replies from official bodies & clubs.

So see you all there on the day.

Fishing is the most peaceful & solitary group activity a going. Every watewr is different every day, thanks for that as same would be boring....

Latest I have is this:-

I have today heard that the stretch on the sixteen foot from Stonea northwards has no controlling club & that you can't fish it cos weed bound bank to bank.

I have emailed the 'middle level commissionaires' who run the whole drainage system for their adivce, I will post both my email & their reply when it comes. I am still awaiting reply to EA email as posted yesterday.

More later

Mark

Latest I have is this:-

I have today heard that the stretch on the sixteen foot from Stonea northwards has no controlling club & that you can't fish it cos weed bound bank to bank.

I have emailed the 'middle level commissionaires' who run the whole drainage system for their adivce, I will post both my email & their reply when it comes. I am still awaiting reply to EA email as posted yesterday.

More later

Mark

Give Mark Harding a call - he is KLAA's membership secretary. When I organised the pike 'wobblethon' fish-in and the zander fish-in, he was very helpful. If you pick a KLAA water getting the tickets will be easy as the baliff just collects money on the banks, and there are plenty of suitable waters to choose from. Mark should be able to suggesst somewhere suitable, and make sure it's match-free on the chosen dates. If you ask nicely, he might even let you arrange a special ticket price, as it's a one-off event.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music