Fen fishing Social

Norfolkdipper

I am seriuosly looking at ' The Cut Off Channel' as a venue. I will get in touch with Mark & ask. Thanks Mark. What section do you advise? Have looked at their site & seen the pics, even if nothing caught the area looks great with the trees lining the bank. But which section is that?

Fishing is the most peaceful & solitary group activity a going. Every watewr is different every day, thanks for that as same would be boring....

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the cut off channel as of last sunday.

john269.jpg

I looked at several sections and all looked the same as regards blanket weed in the sides. There is more clear access on the bank at hilgay to fordham bridge.

The top picture in KLAA website is looking from hilgay bridge downstream towards fordham bridge. The picture is not that current along with a lot of the wording about fisheries on the website.

I went to fordham bridge last sunday aswell.

The trees are still the same giving a very nice setting but the grass has not been cut yet and is knee high along the whole length with thistles etc.

In fairness the grass may be cut by the time you plan the fish in. It was done about mid september last year.

You are going to need weed rakes aswell.

regards

John

Edited by John Weddup

Thanks for that John, very helpful. As I said previously & with thanks to 'Anderoo', I have just emailed Mark at KLAA for his advise / help. I do believe this is slowly coming together, so thanks to all for your posts & help. Hopefully as you say it should be mowed & de weeded by then, John.

Due to a previous life as a motorsport official, I have contacts with catering vans, so may get one along next time. Especially nice a fresh cup of drink as the sun comes up, better than from a day old flask..Especially with a bacon roll...A fishermans brekfast.

Later mark

Fishing is the most peaceful & solitary group activity a going. Every watewr is different every day, thanks for that as same would be boring....

First of all just want to give a big up to Mark for the work he has put in so far. I think getting night fishing is very important as a lot of people will wanted to target Zeds but also if it is clear or bright the bream etc fishing will be better.

Darrel's suggestion of the Ely Beet section of the Ouse wouldn't be a bad choice.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

First of all just want to give a big up to Mark for the work he has put in so far. I think getting night fishing is very important as a lot of people will wanted to target Zeds but also if it is clear or bright the bream etc fishing will be better.

Darrel's suggestion of the Ely Beet section of the Ouse wouldn't be a bad choice.

I ill look into that as well thanks darrel & Budgie. My only worry is the weather this year has been cock-eyed so far. So the night fishing is important. The fishing will of cos depend on the timing of the water releases further up stream as may pull the fish along for a while til they swim back. Another thing to look into, release timings around Sept. 10th.

For now all I can do is wait for email replies.

Mark

Nice one Mark. Hopefully M Harding will have some up to date info, but the last few times I've fished the cut-off, zander were hard to come by (plenty of pike though). It is an ideal venue in terms of space and parking though. As a kid, zander really had taken the place over in terms of predators, now the pike have kicked them back into touch.

EDIT: just found the wobblethon topic and grabbed some pics off it. The last time I fished there was in Feb 2008 so I am a bit out of touch with it. On that session we had quite a lot of pike, a few dropped runs which we assumed were zander, and just one zander between us, caught by my mate Wayne.

The pike went to about 8lb or so:

post-a4908-pike.JPG

The one zander (caught early afternoon in daylight) was a bit bigger:

post-a4907-zander.JPG

post-a4906-scales.JPG

But the best thing of all is the lonely fenland magic as the light fades:

post-a4910-dusk.JPG

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Nice one Mark. Hopefully M Harding will have some up to date info, but the last few times I've fished the cut-off, zander were hard to come by (plenty of pike though). It is an ideal venue in terms of space and parking though. As a kid, zander really had taken the place over in terms of predators, now the pike have kicked them back into touch.

That's life what goes around comes around. My only worry now is the weather, as I feel we will get a venue confirmed soon. You would think that an area of so many drains it would be easy to pick one. It is actually so hard & so many hoops to jump through with regards clubs, who owns what, ect ect ect. Been on here for 6 hrs today & made progress, well at least some made. I am sure it will be a fun time once it starts on the water. To allow for the Zed fishing I am now timing event as 10am Saturday - 10am Sunday & those who just want to pop over to say 'HI' can at any time this is a social & therefore open to all AN members to come along. If not fishing just bring your fishing seat, grass at dawn can be bloody wet....

That's life what goes around comes around. My only worry now is the weather, as I feel we will get a venue confirmed soon. You would think that an area of so many drains it would be easy to pick one. It is actually so hard & so many hoops to jump through with regards clubs, who owns what, ect ect ect. Been on here for 6 hrs today & made progress, well at least some made. I am sure it will be a fun time once it starts on the water. To allow for the Zed fishing I am now timing event as 10am Saturday - 10am Sunday & those who just want to pop over to say 'HI' can at any time this is a social & therefore open to all AN members to come along. If not fishing just bring your fishing seat, grass at dawn can be bloody wet....

Just to add;

Letter gone to 'Ely Beet Social ' as they have no website & letter easier than a long phone call. Results will be posted as & when. Once again thanks to all for posting help & advise. This event WILL go ahead so please feel free to post or PM me if you keen to come along & I will work to those numbers. I will not ask for a confirmed attendance as it puts pressure on your plans. This event is a social & therefore flexible. I hope loads of you do come along & enjoy the ambience of the fens with friends & good fishing.

Mark.

Just to add;

Letter gone to 'Ely Beet Social ' as they have no website & letter easier than a long phone call. Results will be posted as & when. Once again thanks to all for posting help & advise. This event WILL go ahead so please feel free to post or PM me if you keen to come along & I will work to those numbers. I will not ask for a confirmed attendance as it puts pressure on your plans. This event is a social & therefore flexible. I hope loads of you do come along & enjoy the ambience of the fens with friends & good fishing.

Mark.

I have the number for the bailiff if you want to give him a call. Night fishing is allowed by none members.

There is little weed about on the Ely Beet section of the river at the momment, but it is very clear. If the water is not ideal there are plenty of pegs on The pits.

To target Zander you really need some weed free areas.

Darrell

Looking good Mark, date looks free at the moment, I'm sure Dale will be up for a couple of hours on the river bank.

Appreciate all the hard work you are putting in, it can't be easy. When finally picking the venue just remember you can't please all the people all the time. Just go with what you feel you and the majority will want, there will always be someone who would prefer somewhere different.