Fen fishing Social

Norfolkdipper

I have the number for the bailiff if you want to give him a call. Night fishing is allowed by none members.

There is little weed about on the Ely Beet section of the river at the momment, but it is very clear. If the water is not ideal there are plenty of pegs on The pits.

To target Zander you really need some weed free areas.

Darrell

Please PM number !!!!!

Fishing is the most peaceful & solitary group activity a going. Every watewr is different every day, thanks for that as same would be boring....

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good Mark, date looks free at the moment, I'm sure Dale will be up for a couple of hours on the river bank.

Appreciate all the hard work you are putting in, it can't be easy. When finally picking the venue just remember you can't please all the people all the time. Just go with what you feel you and the majority will want, there will always be someone who would prefer somewhere different.

I am already planning to make my decision on water conditions , access, parking & bank safety. I am more interested in having a safe event & as you say 'all & times' is true, but if 90% are happy then so will I be.

As broads having attack of blue / green algea, at present.. I hope it wont affect the fens as non tidal, they actually flow slower than the broads.

Fishing is the most peaceful & solitary group activity a going. Every watewr is different every day, thanks for that as same would be boring....

Please PM number !!!!!

Being a newbie, I am not allowed access yet to PM yet. I will text /email John, Hc pass the number on

Darrell

done

john

Thanks you two. will call him later.

It now appears 'Cut Off Channel' is weedbound, so cant go there. KLAA are offering the relief channel at Denver sluice for our event. Below are the emails recieved today. Giving two choices of water, but each will cost a little bit each. Now I have to wait for 'Ely Beet Social Club' to reply to my letter. I will wait to make final selection on location til I have all the details possible & have had a good luck. Once decision made I will post immediately in large print.

If this event is repeated, I will make it last full weekend of season, to avoid the weed & gain a choice of waters to use. This will also give us the chance to change the scenery & a good way to close the season.

Mark,

Ashley has suggested the Ouse at Ten Mile Bank, the area from the wissey mouth to the railway bridge, as you intend to visit suggest you have a look at both venues or maybe the Relief Channel at Denver Sluice! Details & thoughts anyone

Regards

Mark Harding

Mark,

Thanks for your email, I would suggest that the Cut Off Channel is not really suitable due to the weed growth and the effort required to clear the swims. I would suggest the top end of the Middle Level at Peters Drove near St Germans would be more suitable as parking is easier and the banks are more accessible. The normal fee for booking matches is £3.00 per peg this covers a 5 Hr match in your case you will require reserving a stretch for 24 Hrs, I'm sure we could offer you a comparable fee , I do not see a problem with your proposal although authorisation would be needed from the committee (cc to Ashley Brown - Secretary & Kelvin Allen - Chairman) a booking would ensure that the selected stretch would be reserved for your use. Hope this helps. Details & thoughts anyone

Regards

Mark Harding

KLAA Treasurer

Depending on visual inspection on Friday, my choice is, courtesey of KLAA---Drum roll please----

Middle level at Peter's bridge.

Google earth gr. 52 41 24.39 N / 0 20 14.80 E

O/S Explorer 236 gr. 581 / 127.

Bank length 1,218 yds or 1,114.62 m ( plenty of room)

I could not avoid it, so there will be a small peg fee on the day. I hope this is ok with everyone & that you all enjoy a great session.

Final confirmation on Friday evening....

See you there Mark

ps. This is 6th time of writting this as my CP has overheated 5 times.

Depending on visual inspection on Friday, my choice is, courtesey of KLAA---Drum roll please----

Middle level at Peter's bridge.

Google earth gr. 52 41 24.39 N / 0 20 14.80 E

O/S Explorer 236 gr. 581 / 127.

Bank length 1,218 yds or 1,114.62 m ( plenty of room)

I could not avoid it, so there will be a small peg fee on the day. £6 / 24hrs.

I hope this is ok with everyone & that you all enjoy a great session. At this price it is a good deal.

Site report to follow tomorrow evening, with pics.

See you there Mark

ps. This is 6th time of writting this as my CP has overheated 5 times.

Mark,

As you intend to visit St Germans you will be able to see parking facilities for yourself which I'm sure you will find suitable, pegging fee for your event will be £6 a peg this will give you a reserved stretch for the 24 hr period, please advise if you wish to proceed to confirm the booking. Our website: klaa.co.uk has further details including photos and a specimen section which I think you will find useful.

Regards

Mark Harding

I have sent confirmation email today..

See you all there...

Mark

Final details

Date - 10th / 11th September

Time - 10am - 10am

Cost - £6 / peg

Location - Middle drain at Peter's bridge. 50 pegs secured.

Parking - South (right hand ) side of road on West side of bridge.

Apparently river carp have moved into the area.

Below is the official KLAA water description:-

Runs Wiggenhall St. Germans to Magdalen Fen

This man made reed lined main drain provides flood protection for the west fenland area across to Northamptonshire. It can be subjected to fast flows when fishing may prove difficult. However it remains one of the key venues for both pleasure and match angler alike.

Provided some super fishing in 2006 & 2007.

Catch bream, roach, tench, perch, pike and zander on a variety of methods. Provides the venue for the angler who wants to get away from it all in fenland.

A record zander was caught in 1998, abundant pike provide challenging sport for the predator angler.

£10,000 investment made on bank improvements at Peters Bridge in 2007 to enable improved anglers access.

37 days to go !!!! Would all those who can confirm please do so, so I have a rough number to work from. From what was just a curiosity question, we now have an event. Thanks for all your help in making this happen. Have fun on the day, meet friends & fill your nets.

Regards Mark.

Edited by Norfolkdipper

Any one know a Sat Nav code for the area?

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek