Fen fishing Social

Norfolkdipper

Due to the travelling I should imagine most of us will want to fish the whole weekend. Would this cause any problem?

A word of guidance though, It is VERY easy to miss Peters Drove as it starts as a very rough looking track and isnt/wasnt last time sign posted.Also the locals will look at you blankly if you ask where it is! Might be worth me getting there a bit early and sticking up a sign for the turning.

That said Sat Nav,AA/RAC Route Finder,Google Maps etc will take you there its just that most will drive past the Drove not realising its the right one!

I think the stretch you are referring too budgie is crooked chimney which is a little harder to find and down a dirt track.

Peters bridge is very close to magdalen bridge. If aproaching magdalen for east you cross magdalen bridge then first right and first again.

Yoy can see peters bridge from magdalen and the roads although small are proper roads.

As for staying on a further night or fishing the night before that is no problem. KLAA as from this year do 24 hour tickets at £10. They are availeable on the bank.

Hope this helps

John

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the Saturday I'm happy enough to do a quick "Teach in" on both Pike and Zeds if any one is interested.

I'm sure that would be well received :thumbs:

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Im fairly sure its the same John but like you say they are very close maybe if Anderoo sees this he will be able to confirm?

Very unfortunately I have not seen a post from Andrew since the bream spodding fiasco.

I do hope he is still reading topics

Regards

John

Very unfortunately I have not seen a post from Andrew since the bream spodding fiasco.

I do hope he is still reading topics

Regards

John

Same here, I will ring him if he doesnt reply over the weekend.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

In fact if you want to have a look at the Zed Fish In we did theres all the info there.Just ask if there is anything you need to know thats not covered.

On the last page of the post there are a few photos of the stretch is this the one we are talking about?

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Pike-za...l&hl=Zander

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

In fact if you want to have a look at the Zed Fish In we did theres all the info there.Just ask if there is anything you need to know thats not covered.

On the last page of the post there are a few photos of the stretch is this the one we are talking about?

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Pike-za...l&hl=Zander

Well just read that lot and yes the pics are certainly the same stretch between st peters bridge and magdalen bridge.

The last one looking back at bridge with 2 cars parked is st peters bridge and carpark.

John

As regards signs, I am planning something. Took a trip there myself today, even as I went over the bridge & sat nav said " you have arrived", I thought how it resembled a farm track rather than a road. Venue looks good & nearly weed free apart from a few lillies under the bank, to about 3 yds out. fishing there slow today as it appears sensative to yesterdays rain. All in all a nice spot. My one worry is the car park is a bit small, although I was told that an auxilary CP is on oppersite side of road. Pics to follow (if I can load them), showing the water..

We seem to be lucky as ALL southern fens are weed bound, especially with surface weed. I did 170miles as a look around, so saw a lot of water. There appear to be very few locations to park more than 2 cars at once & some of them would be on the road. The stretch at Stonea seemed ok with a pub oppersite at one end, til I saw the dreaded weed. Some very nice spopts near Ramsey on the forty foot, strange thing is, asked in the tackle shop & no-one knows or has heard of ' Crooked Chimney'. Even I cant remeber it now. I was given their match officers number, will post details later.

As this was startwed with just a little question, I thank all who have posted either on here or answered PMs. Now I can finally rest for a while, until we get closer to the event, then the panic will start... See you all there

Mark.

I think pics attached, but not sure. Only 4 but they show the water from babk & bridge. If not right I will get them sorted.

post-23412-1312563693_thumb.jpg

post-23412-1312563711_thumb.jpg

post-23412-1312563721_thumb.jpg

post-23412-1312563734_thumb.jpg

Edited by Norfolkdipper

Fishing is the most peaceful & solitary group activity a going. Every watewr is different every day, thanks for that as same would be boring....

Hi Mark

Glad you had a look.

The middle level has fished really well for the last few years at this time of year so could switch on at anytime.

The carpark may look small to you but beleive me its big for the fens. Most are tucking just a couple of cars of the road.

There is not a proper carpark the other side of road just room for a couple of cars. The carpark you were at should be more than big enough. Espescially as most will be there over night so parking tight together is no problem. The decision to fish here is sensible. The weed on other venues would have been a problem. The middle level offers something for everyone. Aswell as comfortable easy fishing for those that just want to relax.

The weed on the fens is a problem on the shallower venues. The middle level has about 16 ft in the middle and ten mile bank has generally 20ft. This means they stay weed free.

I had a flood at work wednesday night from a thunderstorm so getting away today has not been possible. I was going to river bure and the ocean pit but plans have been screwed up.

My fishing mate was a little left high and dry so I have left it to him to decide where to go and its going to be the middle level.

Will let you know how we get on.

regards

John

Next time you target the Bure, I really advise Acle Bridge, for a quiet but busy session. Just call in the shop & say hello from me on the way past. go to far end as there are 2 perm moored boats there just far enough for 2 anglers & close enough to prevent others mooring. Your eyes wont decive you the smaller boat is taking on water & listing. Best spot about 2/3 way across on feeder with worms or maggots. Bite are bloody quick though, to quick even for alarms... Just a slight tip action & they have stripped the bait. I ended up on a size 10 hook & renrag on a size 06 but still we missed more than we caught. Joint catch on day was around 50lb, so have the most sensative tip you can. It's nice to talk about something else for once. Did you read our reports on Acle?

Yes the venue is great & have already emailed Mark at KLAA to say thanks. With regards staying on, I hope you dont mind but I have prposed that those who stay on pay at events end for the extra time seperately. This is the only fair way to do it. As for parking, I have asked permission to use the grass area through carpark as extra space. I am now hoping 50 pegs will be enough.

36 days to go !!!! That's all on that for now

Later mark

Fishing is the most peaceful & solitary group activity a going. Every watewr is different every day, thanks for that as same would be boring....