The Fat Lady - Dead

Elton

More details here:

http://www.f1sh.es/FatLady

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many biggies is that now that have recently moved on to the big lake in the sky?

Is this normal in carp circles or starting to get suspicious

Normal? Suspicious? Who cares? The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned, bloody invasive alien species being stocked for financial gain at the expense of native wildlife.....especially native predators!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

'I am gutted that she has died - it's like losing a close friend.'

The Fat Lady's death has led to anglers flooding fishing forums with tribute messages.

One poster wrote 'RIP old girl', while another angler said: 'Was a privilege to fish for her.'

And yet again we hand the world another thing to mock us with. If I was not an angler I think I would need to get a catheter fitted as I would be **** myself about what a sad bunch fishermen are. And yes I have been annoyed about being asked how I feel :angry:

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

All,

It hurts my heart when you guys loose a medallion to UK carp fishing. No finer pleasure than sport fishing. And, I like carp fishing.

Worms,

What exactly is the flame under your arce that lights your post. You still drunk over no more foxhunting? Just curious, when does a species become "naturalized" instead of an "invasive alien"? It's been a while since I've been on AN. I forget, are you a tree hugger?

Phone

All,

It hurts my heart when you guys loose a medallion to UK carp fishing. No finer pleasure than sport fishing. And, I like carp fishing.

Worms,

What exactly is the flame under your arce that lights your post. You still drunk over no more foxhunting? Just curious, when does a species become "naturalized" instead of an "invasive alien"? It's been a while since I've been on AN. I forget, are you a tree hugger?

Phone

carp was an alien species over 500 years ago.. so worms is chattin sh*t, they had been brought to the uk as a food. and if i remember correctly they came from italy at first.

All,

Worms,

Phone

"Loose a medallion to carp fishing" Sorry Phone don't understand your banter old chap. Sport fishing? You mean catch and release? Hmm, that's half the problem you see! The flame under my arse is the damage done to our natural environment by the commercial arsewipes (I think you call them) that don't give a hoot about anything unless they are earning a shed-load of money. Try reading the article again and calculate how much money that guy has made out of a non-native fish pond!

"naturalised" generally means a species that can co-exist without a negative impact on native species and can breed in it's own right. The "invasive alien" species is precisely what it says. These fish (and many other species) are constantly being imported into the country and put in man-made pools from where they escape into the wider countryside damaging the natural ecosystem.

Am I a tree hugger? You obviously didn't read my signature. It looks as if you might need to read the detail a bit more before making comparisons with carp fishing in the States and carp fishing in the UK.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

carp was an alien species over 500 years ago.. so worms is chattin sh*t, they had been brought to the uk as a food. and if i remember correctly they came from italy at first.

So if carp was an alien species 500 years ago what makes it native now? ""chattin sh*t"? Any species not present in the country following the retreat of ice after the last ice age is non-native. That is the definition. Introducing a fish automatically makes it non-native...or alien. Further Dean, no you don't remember correctly, they were probably introduced from farmed fish from Holland but originated from the Danube so take your pick from the countries now known as Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Crotia, Hungary, Slovakia, Austria and Germany.

The constant filling of man-made ponds on floodplains to make a fast buck is irresponsible and greedy. Fortunately legislation has been tightened up recently and non-native species are going to be hit hard.

Also, the near deification of these fish is rather pathetic and makes anglers look rather stupid when they hold funerals, erect memorials and most sadly of all, give them names. You may not see it as (a presumed) carp angler but try getting out into the world of non carp anglers who are p*ss*ng themselves laughing at grown men wearing camo bivvy slippers, sleeping in tents watching the telly whilst they leave their (basically) set lines to snag fish!

Worms,

No no mate! I from the school that they are all "just fish". Can't see how it hurts if a guy (or industry) makes a "shilling" on my passions - that all. Since carp are documented in your neck of the woods since before heck was a pup I can't see how you call them "invasive"? The would indeed prosper as naturalized if we carp anglers would leave them alone.

Your signature is why I ask. I don't mind "harvesting" a controlled number of natives or naturalized creatures. Think of myself as pretty close to the top of the food chain. Still - - I guess you could call me a "tree hugger" in as much as I believe in common sense.

Why would you be "happy" the finest specimen in the UK of anything died - - - even if it was in a zoo that charged a fee? Just didn't make sense unless you were trying to wind up those of us who carp fish.

I'd of paid to stick her with a hook (for the 201st time) - that's free enterprise.

Phone

Worms,

No no mate! I from the school that they are all "just fish". Can't see how it hurts if a guy (or industry) makes a "shilling" on my passions - that all. Since carp are documented in your neck of the woods since before heck was a pup I can't see how you call them "invasive"? The would indeed prosper as naturalized if we carp anglers would leave them alone.

Your signature is why I ask. I don't mind "harvesting" a controlled number of natives or naturalized creatures. Think of myself as pretty close to the top of the food chain. Still - - I guess you could call me a "tree hugger" in as much as I believe in common sense.

Why would you be "happy" the finest specimen in the UK of anything died - - - even if it was in a zoo that charged a fee? Just didn't make sense unless you were trying to wind up those of us who carp fish.

I'd of paid to stick her with a hook (for the 201st time) - that's free enterprise.

Phone

I believe you 'tangled' with John (Gozzer) on the same subject recently. If people are making money at the expense of our natural ecology then I have little respect for them or the non-native fish that they are continually bringing in to the country (not just legally either, some of these guys are smuggling them in). The UK is a tiny island with a large population, we are losing our natural habitats and species quicker than a lot of other countries. When financial gain is put above the natural balance things will not improve, when these same idiots call for culls on native predators because it's damaging their livelihoods (too mean to fence their overstocked ponds) I move from little respect to no respect.

As for harvesting? we've just been banned from taking most of our native species for the table by these same people in a biased and targeted (almost secret) consultation. The skills of watercraft, gentlemanly conduct, learning from the ground up and respect (for other anglers and other wildlife) has all but disappeared with the new "carp machine" that has become nothing but a huge commercial enterprise designed to make as much money as possible by making it easy to catch fish. The top end of the market has the giant (artificially fat) fish designed to make even more money and produce records. That's not angling, that's bloody (poor) fairground entertainment! :angry: