The Fat Lady - Dead

Elton

Some very interesting waters, would not mind a ticket myself.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

60 carp in 50 acres, a handful of giant bream, some very large tench, and very happy wildlife*. Gin clear, deep, and very weedy. Surrounded by loads of tall trees. A proper lake :) St Ives has a lot more in common with this place than the muddy, overstocked holes some here have got confused with. Not every 'carp lake' is an environmental disaster.

No confusion on my part Andrew, and I know that every one isn't an environmental disaster. But, the majority of those around me are. I only wish that there were more waters like the one you linked to, but at £400 a season they are out of the reach of many anglers. I have no problem with carp angling, as long as I have a choice to fish waters that not over stocked with carp, or exotics. I've said on here often enough, all I (and many others) want is a choice and a chance to fish decent mixed fisheries, sadly that choice is not there any more, or at least very strictly limited.

Maybe it's my age, but I cannot understand how anglers can't see the dangers of these over stocked, single species waters. Or maybe they just don't want to see them, and are happy to ignore them, and keep on catching. Because after all, a fish is a fish innit?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

No confusion on my part Andrew, and I know that every one isn't an environmental disaster. But, the majority of those around me are. I only wish that there were more waters like the one you linked to, but at £400 a season they are out of the reach of many anglers. I have no problem with carp angling, as long as I have a choice to fish waters that not over stocked with carp, or exotics. I've said on here often enough, all I (and many others) want is a choice and a chance to fish decent mixed fisheries, sadly that choice is not there any more, or at least very strictly limited.

Maybe it's my age, but I cannot understand how anglers can't see the dangers of these over stocked, single species waters. Or maybe they just don't want to see them, and are happy to ignore them, and keep on catching. Because after all, a fish is a fish innit?

John.

Sure, no argument from me there - I just thought I should add a little balance as the argument developing had nothing to do with the water in question. Separate things :)

£400 a year for a good water is good value in my opinion, you can pay a lot more than that. If you pay day tickets at the popular carp fisheries, £400 would get you a grand total of 8 48-hour sessions!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Sure, no argument from me there - I just thought I should add a little balance as the argument developing had nothing to do with the water in question. Separate things :)

£400 a year for a good water is good value in my opinion, you can pay a lot more than that. If you pay day tickets at the popular carp fisheries, £400 would get you a grand total of 8 48-hour sessions!

£400 might be good value, if you can afford it. But many can't, in fact I never understood why so many anglers fish crowded waters at £7-10 a day, when for £40-50 a season they can have access to many miles of bank, still water, rivers and canals. The partial demise of the old associations has changed angling from something open to anyone, into one that excludes those with limited funds. The trouble is that many of the associations (big clubs), have stocked their waters to the same level as the commercials, to try and compete. That just limits the choice even more.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

£400 might be good value, if you can afford it. But many can't, in fact I never understood why so many anglers fish crowded waters at £7-10 a day, when for £40-50 a season they can have access to many miles of bank, still water, rivers and canals. The partial demise of the old associations has changed angling from something open to anyone, into one that excludes those with limited funds. The trouble is that many of the associations (big clubs), have stocked their waters to the same level as the commercials, to try and compete. That just limits the choice even more.

John.

I know not everyone can afford it, but a ticket to a good water is (in my opinion) the best investment you can make. I bet many who 'can't afford it' have all new singing and dancing tackle and bait, or smoke a lot, or drink a lot, or whatever. The most expensive waters almost always have one or more very large carp in, which is what most people are paying for. However, there are still some great waters available on cheap club books that are hard work, low stock, and so largely ignored. Admitedly usually in areas with lots of gravel pits.

My river fishing is stupidly cheap, for £30 I get more miles of rivers than I'll ever see, let alone fish!

EDIT: how long these low stock pits stay like that is another question...

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I bet many who 'can't afford it' have all new singing and dancing tackle and bait, or smoke a lot, or drink a lot, or whatever.

That's a very big assumption you make there Andrew, almost an insult. :o I never took you for a Daily mail reader. B)

John.

Fair enough, substitute many for some if you like. The reality now is that if you want to fish a water like that, you go on the waiting list and start saving the pennies and go without other things. You don't just walk straight on in exchange for a few quid.

Of course, as I said, not everyone can afford it, but as I also said, there are cheaper alternatives on club books, at least for the time being.

I am as upset as you and many others about every water turning into a commercial, but that doesn't mean we need to tar every lake that has a few carp in it with the same brush.

I am as upset as you and many others about every water turning into a commercial, but that doesn't mean we need to tar every lake that has a few carp in it with the same brush.

Do I give the impression that I do "tar them all with the same brush", Andrew?

I thought I'd made it clear that it's the stock levels, lack of diversity, and escapees into the system, that annoy, and worry me. Not whether it is a commercially run, syndicate, club, or free water.

I have chuckle, and poke a little fun, at some of the antics of species specific anglers, whatever their target, but I understand because I've been there. Not as committed as some I admit, but I've lost jobs, relationships, as well as wasted money on unnecessary, 'must have' items, in the past. The whole scene is not new in itself, it's the scale of the commercial interest that's new, that, and the knock on effect throughout angling is in itself a cause for concern, IMO.

John.

"ooo look at me i only fish rivers with my cane rod, centerpin and jar of worms because only i care about the fish and the way MY sport is going hmmm im sure i left my horse around here somewhere"

shut the f up......haha :P

WTF??????

Care to expand on that Sean?

John.

Edited by gozzer