Bent hooks

Barry C

Barry C,

Well, I still bet they mean a "bent hook RIG".

Every wire hook is "bent" (execpt some smolt hooks I've seen). There are probably a thousand configurations of "bent" (not including the hook eye).

OTOH a forged hook is NOT bent in the strictist sense of the word. Do you suppose they mean no wire hooks? Most "modern" carp hooks are indeed forged.

Phone

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bent hooks for carpfishing. A long shank hook (usually a fly hook) is bent down at approx 30deg halfway along the shank. The hair comes off at the point of the bend. Very effective, particularly with pop ups.

Most clubs/associations etc, banned the use of them due to the FACT that they had a habit of working their way out and back again, causing severe mouth damage.

I caught my first 30+ on one of those, and it was the last time I used one.

You can get the same hooking effect by extending the shank with shrink tube, this does not seem to behave in the same way, and I use it a lot. The line aligner gives the same effect of a bent hook. I think the extra thickness of the shrink tube stops the hook moving through the lip.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Yup them's the ones and as Den says great hookers and Renrag you certainly didn't get rip outs! The opposite was very much the problem.They would as Den says "double" hook the fish.Even if you were careful in unhooking (cutting the hook and removing in bits) they still caused a lot of damage.The harder/longer the fish fought the more the hook would dig in.

Simply no longer necessary as you get all (well most) of their benefits with rubber extensions as Den once again points out but without the terrible damage.

Beware of some of the really excessively curved shank hooks as well.Partridges "Piggy Back" being a good example as you can get the same problems

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I honestly didn't know, never used them but having overconfidence in your hookhold could lead to this sort of bullying imo. I've seen it, 3lb TC, 15lb nuisance fish etc. That crowd. I've seen them reel in lips... whole lips... Not nice. Thats what I meant by tear outs.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

A local water has a rule saying 'no bent hooks'.

As I have yet to see a straight hook other than a pin what does it mean?

im totoly against dangerouse rigs and hooks,it all started with the long bent shank gardner hooks ,i dont no if there is a bent hook.and to ban it on this venue,there must be a reason.but take steve renyards withy pool rig,were the hook as not been touched.a mate of the family was part owner of a match and mid doubles to mid 30 s,and if he found a fish with a hook still in its mouth,and these guys have a good idea how long its there,the bits and bobs if any, was on is, very rairley was still there .this is when he stopped certain rigs or hooks ,barbed or not the carp could get rid of them,but one thing i picked up on that tench find it hard to get shut of small hooks

Seems then that the term bent hook can mean all things to all anglers.

Lets hope if the bailiff checks he is on the same wavelength as me.

As for any altered hook, that would of course include a straightened out curved shank hook.

Bent hooks for carp fishing were popular in the 80's and early 90's. They were longshanked fly hooks that were bent with pliars to form an aggressive hooking arrangment, similar to the hooks posted above. They worked simply by causing the hook to flip over quickly when sucked in or as the fish bolts. Very similar to how a line aligner/magaligner works with shrink tubing......however...

The bent hooks caused alot of problems, the main one being mouth damage. Due to the nature of these hooks, they often slipped/pulled out under pressure, and re-hooked on the way out, causing horrible damage to the carps mouth. The line aligner/magaligner method, does not do this as the shrink tubing pulls straight when under pressure, thus effectively removing the "bent bit". Bent hooks themselve are now banned as far as i know, there are hook patterns avaliable on the market that will do a similar job but its up to the angler to decide if he or she should use them.

hope this helps

but one thing i picked up on that tench find it hard to get shut of small hooks

They were about long before Gardner brought out their Bent Hook mate! The point you raise about tench and small hooks is very true.In fact I would say that any of the species/fish big enough to have properly formed "thick" lips seem to have more problems getting rid of size 16 and below than 8 and above! Be they attached to the angler still or not! But tench especially.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Bent hooks for carp fishing were popular in the 80's and early 90's. They were longshanked fly hooks that were bent with pliars to form an aggressive hooking arrangment, similar to the hooks posted above. They worked simply by causing the hook to flip over quickly when sucked in or as the fish bolts. Very similar to how a line aligner/magaligner works with shrink tubing......however...

The bent hooks caused alot of problems, the main one being mouth damage. Due to the nature of these hooks, they often slipped/pulled out under pressure, and re-hooked on the way out, causing horrible damage to the carps mouth. The line aligner/magaligner method, does not do this as the shrink tubing pulls straight when under pressure, thus effectively removing the "bent bit". Bent hooks themselve are now banned as far as i know, there are hook patterns avaliable on the market that will do a similar job but its up to the angler to decide if he or she should use them.

hope this helps

Already said all that Phil :) but worth repeating :) :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I have witnessed inexperienced anglers purchasing shop made hair rigs, then purchasing boilies which are too big for the hook on the rig. As they don't know how to make their own hair rigs they pretty much bend the hook point out slightly making it more exposed rather than being hid underneath the boilie.

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish