Oysters

Chub Frenzy

Hi everyone,

I suddenly love the taste of oysters, and was wondering if and how I could get myself some....

I only need a small amount and am based in Kent, where should I look and how should I collect, also, is there any chance of a pearl in english waters?

Many thanks

Chub

Hi everyone,

I suddenly love the taste of oysters, and was wondering if and how I could get myself some....

I only need a small amount and am based in Kent, where should I look and how should I collect, also, is there any chance of a pearl in english waters?

Many thanks

Chub

The oyster fishery in Kent on public grounds is managed by the Kent & Essex Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authority.

But there are also a number of private oyster companies (established before Magna Carta) who would not take kindly to the public removing their oysters.

So, be careful where you take them from and make sure that you only remove a few (so that you are not suspected of commercial gathering).

Be aware also that protection may exist for native oysters (as opposed to the now more common and larger pacific oysters that are taking over). In any case, native oysters should be left alone.

Also be aware that commercial operators have a procedure for cleaning oysters that have been harvested before they are considered suitable for eating, and then they are subject to rigorous health-checks before marketing.

Although I have gathered shellfish in the past, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't risk it.

And I don't order shellfish dishes from restaurants that I'm not happy will have purchased from legitimate suppliers (the coast is plagued by gangs gathering illicitly, taking the shellfish meat out of the shell in unhygienic conditions and transporting it unrefrigerated in hot vans to god knows where).

See also:

http://www.kentandessex-sfc.co.uk/id11.html

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hi everyone,

Many thanks

Chub

I saw some huge ones last year on some rocks below the pier at Hernia Bay...........I certainly wouldn't eat them from there though.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!