opt out of organ donation

Andy_1984

story here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14341553

Gordon Brown tried this a few years ago, now its back again but under the dvla for new or replacement licences.

i think its wrong to have to opt out of anything. ive seen myself forget to "opt-out" or haven't seen it in the small print when purchasing or registering online and then receiving spam.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Less than a third of people are signed up to be organ donors - despite research suggesting that nine in 10 would he happy to be one.

Sums it up really.

That's a lot of people with either a poor quality of life or a greatly forshortened life because potential donors who would want their organs to be used can't be bothered to register.

It's also a lot of cost to the state in terms of ongoing medical care and disability benefits.

Personally, I do carry a card and when I'm done with it, they can do what they will with this body short of steaking it out in a field for the flys - and that's only because I recognise my family's need for the closeure afforded by a burial/cremation.

The one area that I'm not sure of is whether they can and will take my organs without contacting a family member for authorisation. I know that this used to be an issue and lots of organs were lost because family of card carrying donors such as myself either refused or couldn't be contacted.

I really don't understand your objection. One way or another, you have a choice and the one thing that I can guarantree is that you will not recieve spam after donating your organs.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

my objection is having to opt out. if someone really wants to donate they could click the opt in which could be made much clearer, no doubt the opt-out wont be made as easily accessible.

it could lead to people who do not wish to donate ending up donating per my example of the spam.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I'm with Andy on this one 100%. The state should not assume ownership of my body.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

story here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14341553

Gordon Brown tried this a few years ago, now its back again but under the dvla for new or replacement licences.

i think its wrong to have to opt out of anything. ive seen myself forget to "opt-out" or haven't seen it in the small print when purchasing or registering online and then receiving spam.

You don't have to opt out, you just have to answer the question yes or no.

Prior to this you could just ignore it.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I'm with Andy on this one 100%. The state should not assume ownership of my body.

why not your sewerage company is getting its hands on your sewers ,no bad thing but i bet they charge you for it.

the trouble is for doner organs you cannot opt out who gets them :rolleyes:

IE should your precious organs be given to a person who deliberately abuses theirs or be given to someone further down the list who doesn't ?

who not exclude those from different races ?

choose the preferential coloured eyes?

surely if an organ is mine i should be able to choose previously who gets it just as i can favour particular people in a will with everything else i own ,if i opted out giving christians my organs or blood surely their all seeing all caring god would provide instead?

whilst on the subject i find it odd if you have a major operation you may use precious blood donated by others but you cannot store your own for the operation making the donated blood go further :blink:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I too think it's wrong to have to opt out, but more importantly most transplant doctors also don't like the opt out idea. It leads to far fewer problems at the end if the family can be told 'he/she opted in' - and unless things have changed the family have the final say anyway.

Rob.

My boy filled out his application for a provisional licence today. He opted for Yes take the lot.

What gets me is this provisional licence costs £ 50.-- :huh: when did that happen ?

I dont think there is a doctor in the land who will want any of my organs, once i've finished with them. :D

1509tarpon_75_.gif

surely if an organ is mine i should be able to choose previously who gets it just as i can favour particular people in a will with everything else i own ,if i opted out giving christians my organs or blood surely their all seeing all caring god would provide instead?

Chesters, you are a bad man ! Now you've got me thinking of adding caveats to my donor card......

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.