Crayfish Resistant Baits - Am I just dreaming?

Dales

As a prelude to some autumn/winter river fishing plans for the Lee, I spent part of Saturday walking about my chosen venue and returned Sunday for dabble to get to know the water a little. Great fun catching plenty of small stuff Perch, Roach, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak and Chublets and managed a decent Bream of

7-06lb not bad when you consider how hot and bright it was yesterday.

My main reason for giving the Lee some attention is to fish it for Pike, Zander, Perch and have a bash at some of it's Chub in the colder months. During the colder months I am hoping that the Crayfish will not be so much of an issue. I am not used to fishing crayfish invested waters, well I have done some winter Piking before on waters with them. But they have not been to much of an issue.

So before I start my winter fishing, I thought I might do some late evenings/maybe over nighters for a chance of Carp/Barbal/Bream and hopefully 8lb Chub :D But the Crays were so active yesterday on a bright day, what would they be like in the cover of darkness. So a bit of an old question, what would be good baits to use for the above species in Crayfish rivers. I am sure this would have come up before but not fishing such waters, I doubt I paid to much attention.

I fished a boilie on one rod and it got slowly wittled down but over 1 to 2 hours, so this may be the way to go. It was mentioned in an article on Lea Chub posted up recently by Anderoo but has any one else got any tips on over coming the Crays.

I am right they will be a right nightmare at night?

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, they will be just as bad at night I'm afraid. However, the colder the water, the less of a nuisance they will be. So winter is on your side.

Baits they like the most are live baits like maggot and worm, strong smelling baits like cheesepaste, fishy/meaty boilies, deadbaits.

They don't seem to like bread very much, or tiger nuts. Tiger nuts are the only thing I've used when they're active that doesn't get nibbled away. Air dried boilies last a while, but not forever.

Cray activity is actually a very good indicator of the presence (or otherwise) of fish. When perch fishing in a little tributary, if the crays are hammering the worms you know there are no perch nearby. If they suddenly stop and disappear, the perch have arrived and the float is about to sail away...

Similarly with the chub, if the crays are driving you mad odds on there are no big chub present.

I'm not sure about what baits to recommend, the Lea is quite different to the rivers I fish for chub - maybe a traditional approach with bread would work really well, maybe you need to use boilies to catch them, and regularly check the baits?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Dales my experiece is just that if they are bad in the day then double that at night ,Armamesh has helped buy me some time on the Kennet and hard biolies help .

I have taken to fishing 2 or 3 big boilies on a hair with the thinking that at least some will be left ,the pests are without doubt one of the best baits going for the Chub in the warmer months ...shame we can`t use them :rolleyes: ....there activity does drop off considerably in the colder months .

Only other thing is fake baits but you should not have to many probs with them once it gets cold ,good luck .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Cray activity is actually a very good indicator of the presence (or otherwise) of fish. When perch fishing in a little tributary, if the crays are hammering the worms you know there are no perch nearby. If they suddenly stop and disappear, the perch have arrived and the float is about to sail away...

I did notice that yesterday, I had a spell of catching Perch for around 2 hours and had no crays during that period and once they started to appear again the Perch bites had dried up.

Bread could be worth a try.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I did notice that yesterday, I had a spell of catching Perch for around 2 hours and had no crays during that period and once they started to appear again the Perch bites had dried up.

Bread could be worth a try.

I've never had to deal with crayfish problems, so this is just my input, from a laymans viewpoint :rolleyes:

First thing that occurs to me is to get away from the mentality that says you MUST anchor your bait to the bottom. It MIGHT be an effective way to fish where crays are not a nuisance, but it's a bit pointless having an unbaited hook flapping about in the current, no? How about float-fishing a moving bait either close to the bottom, or higher up in the water out of reach? Either way, I'm guessing that your bait will get to more fish and avoid so much attention from the crays?

The other obvious option to me would be to go synthetic, and try the various plastic / fake baits that seem to abound, and are apparently responsible for the capture of many specimen fish, if the press and forums are to be believed?

Edited by PeterNE1

there activity does drop off considerably in the colder months .

Only other thing is fake baits but you should not have to many probs with them once it gets cold ,good luck .

I'm hoping the winter predator fishing should not be so problematic but would be nice to catch a few of the other species that are about before I get my Winter hat on.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007

How about float-fishing a moving bait either close to the bottom, or higher up in the water out of reach? Either way, I'm guessing that your bait will get to more fish and avoid so much attention from the crays?

I'm a total novice on the Crays only ever having caught 2 in donkeys years on dead baits in the depths of winter. I had about a dozen yesterday, float fishing saved me catching even more and may well be the best choice of tactic for day trips. But if I do nights then I would prefer to fish on the bottom and stay in one swim and build it up hoping for Barbel/Carp and Bream.

I've spent the last few years exclusively fishing still waters and was a little surprised that they had got so bad while I had been away from the rivers. But then again those specimen fish must have got big on eating something.

To a certain degree I will just have see how it goes, buty can't say I fancy messing around with Crays in the dark :(

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007

Dales, maybe it would be worth trotting for the pred's ?

Excellent idea and a great way to cover a lot of water. It's the predator fishing that mainly attracted me to go back to running water and the reason I got a ticket, but as there is a Pike season on the parts of the Lea I have access too I thought I would have a try for the other species while I wait for the 1st October :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007

This will depend on there being enough space and how the other anglers are fishing, but for the chub I would keep a few swims baited and rove between them after dark. If crays are a problem, rebait and move on. If they're not - there are probably fish present. I have never fished the Lea but it sounds like there are not a lot of chub but the average size is very high, so I would be inclined to try to find them rather than waiting for one to turn up. However, that article on FM said the opposite (sit in one swim and wait for one to turn up), so perhaps that's the better option in this case. I think the number and behaviour of the other anglers will be a large part of choosing which road to go down.

By the way, I have had lots of crays when trotting lobs off the bottom for perch, when they're really having it there really isn't much you can do, apart from try a different swim.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music