Crayfish Resistant Baits - Am I just dreaming?

Dales

As a prelude to some autumn/winter river fishing plans for the Lee, I spent part of Saturday walking about my chosen venue and returned Sunday for dabble to get to know the water a little. Great fun catching plenty of small stuff Perch, Roach, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak and Chublets and managed a decent Bream of

7-06lb not bad when you consider how hot and bright it was yesterday.

My main reason for giving the Lee some attention is to fish it for Pike, Zander, Perch and have a bash at some of it's Chub in the colder months. During the colder months I am hoping that the Crayfish will not be so much of an issue. I am not used to fishing crayfish invested waters, well I have done some winter Piking before on waters with them. But they have not been to much of an issue.

So before I start my winter fishing, I thought I might do some late evenings/maybe over nighters for a chance of Carp/Barbal/Bream and hopefully 8lb Chub :D But the Crays were so active yesterday on a bright day, what would they be like in the cover of darkness. So a bit of an old question, what would be good baits to use for the above species in Crayfish rivers. I am sure this would have come up before but not fishing such waters, I doubt I paid to much attention.

I fished a boilie on one rod and it got slowly wittled down but over 1 to 2 hours, so this may be the way to go. It was mentioned in an article on Lea Chub posted up recently by Anderoo but has any one else got any tips on over coming the Crays.

I am right they will be a right nightmare at night?

i could;nt come to understand the frustration,that anglers in your situation go through,but a mate who fishes a pit thats full of them ,he fishes 2 rods one in the marjins,were he uses the the left over chicken from the sunday dinner,put about five yds away from his bait,the chicken is put in a large drop net and after a few hours pull it in ,empty then backin.the other rig is a zig rig ,with a feeder and a active mix with a hand full of blitzed floater pellets,the odd pop blitzed again,its a top methed for fishing up in the water,which ive used.plus the crayfish he gets he sells to a local italian biestro,which pays for his baits for the year.at least some one gets something from them

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a prelude to some autumn/winter river fishing plans for the Lee, I spent part of Saturday walking about my chosen venue and returned Sunday for dabble to get to know the water a little. Great fun catching plenty of small stuff Perch, Roach, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak and Chublets and managed a decent Bream of

7-06lb not bad when you consider how hot and bright it was yesterday.

My main reason for giving the Lee some attention is to fish it for Pike, Zander, Perch and have a bash at some of it's Chub in the colder months. During the colder months I am hoping that the Crayfish will not be so much of an issue. I am not used to fishing crayfish invested waters, well I have done some winter Piking before on waters with them. But they have not been to much of an issue.

So before I start my winter fishing, I thought I might do some late evenings/maybe over nighters for a chance of Carp/Barbal/Bream and hopefully 8lb Chub :D But the Crays were so active yesterday on a bright day, what would they be like in the cover of darkness. So a bit of an old question, what would be good baits to use for the above species in Crayfish rivers. I am sure this would have come up before but not fishing such waters, I doubt I paid to much attention.

I fished a boilie on one rod and it got slowly wittled down but over 1 to 2 hours, so this may be the way to go. It was mentioned in an article on Lea Chub posted up recently by Anderoo but has any one else got any tips on over coming the Crays.

I am right they will be a right nightmare at night?

i could;nt come to understand the frustration,that anglers in your situation go through,but a mate who fishes a pit thats full of them ,he fishes 2 rods one in the marjins,were he uses the the left over chicken from the sunday dinner,put about five yds away from his bait,the chicken is put in a large drop net and after a few hours pull it in ,empty then backin.the other rig is a zig rig ,with a feeder and a active mix with a hand full of blitzed floater pellets,the odd pop blitzed again,its a top methed for fishing up in the water,which ive used.plus the crayfish he gets he sells to a local italian biestro,which pays for his baits for the year.at least some one gets something from them

but a mate who fishes a pit thats full of them ,he fishes 2 rods one in the marjins,were he uses the the left over chicken from the sunday dinner,put about five yds away from his bait,the chicken is put in a large drop net and after a few hours pull it in ,empty then backin.

I was wondering about putting bait away from where I was fishing but then I thought it might just end up attracting even more in to the general area. If fishing a lake then dumping some bait out of your area would kind of work but on a river you might just end up bringing more in to the general area from up or down stream.

I often like to put down a bed of bait for a lot of my fishing and have to admit I am a little stumped about how to go about fishing this spot with that sort of tactic. As a big bed of bait would just attract crays from all over. Maybe keep free offerings to a minimum or build the swim up slowly.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I was wondering about putting bait away from where I was fishing but then I thought it might just end up attracting even more in to the general area. If fishing a lake then dumping some bait out of your area would kind of work but on a river you might just end up bringing more in to the general area from up or down stream.

I often like to put down a bed of bait for a lot of my fishing and have to admit I am a little stumped about how to go about fishing this spot with that sort of tactic. As a big bed of bait would just attract crays from all over. Maybe keep free offerings to a minimum or build the swim up slowly.

like i said thank god up north its not a problem[touch wood] but years ago when eels were a problem ,we use to find a road kill wrap it up in a cotton shirt not wool it catches in there teeth,peg it down tie the arms and the rest just leave the gaps between buttons and they will get in,even tearing through the shirt,place one dowstream and one up.come the morning they were full ,they would stay there even full because it was dark,thats how my pike baits were sorted ,and also made a few quid selling some for bait and the ,table.i no longer do this because eels arnt as much of a problem ,but on other rivers that have been ,i now just release them after the session.also sardines, mackrel or scraps from the fishmongers,its just making something you can emty every so often,try pegging a keepnet,or if you dont want them just peg something smelly up and down stream of you,tie string round the tails ,and then a rock and throw them out,make sure them upstream are tied well,so you dont have a loose sardine in your swim.best of luck dales

I do like the idea of attracting the crays away to another swim but I don't think I would feel to good knowing that later on some one might pop along and set up in that area. I don't think I could enjoy my fishing knowing I had ruined some one elses fishing by attracting a tonne of crays in to that swim. But not sure I would want to go and tell them either.

I think maybe just see how busy things get in the coming months.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I don't think I could enjoy my fishing knowing I had ruined some one elses fishing by attracting a tonne of crays in to that swim.

I wouldn't worry about that Dales, although the idea is to attract them to a particular area I don't think it would be so precise that you could be certain it's worked. Most anglers troubled by crays would do the same anyway.

One barbeller I met on the Kennet used to puncture a tin of cat food, bind it with string and chuck it in. It was tethered to the bank so at the end of the session he'd retrieve it (or so he said). It sounds like it might work but again you can't be sure, there are so many crays in the Kennet that even if loads are going at the cat food others might still grab your bait.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

One barbeller I met on the Kennet used to puncture a tin of cat food, bind it with string and chuck it in. It was tethered to the bank so at the end of the session he'd retrieve it (or so he said). It sounds like it might work but again you can't be sure, there are so many crays in the Kennet that even if loads are going at the cat food others might still grab your bait.

It might be just as easy to accept that I will catch a few, pain that it is.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007

Dales,

You're probably right. The thread subject "Crayfish Resistant Baits" won't work.

Crayfish eat exactly what fish eat. You might try "Crayfish Resistant PRESENTATIONS".

Phone

All,

I might add, fouling a swim with road kill is only marginally affective/effective. Crayfish are the "last" to check out new offerings. Fish are far more mobile. A good way to blank is to use road kill one swim away whilst fishing for any carnivores or omnivores. Once established, one can catch fish along the margins of the area where the road kill is located.

I have even stopped using road kill for our very aggresive catfish fry (blue and channel) and turtles. It just seems to throw everything out of kilter and off balance. For years I thought "it worked" - then realized it worked to keep the unwanted critters away but also kept the quality "wanted" critter away.

Phone

Had a go at the week end and tried using one of the korda boilie extension stops. It gives you some extra time as even after the crays have wittled the boilie down you still seem to get a little bit left attached to the boilie stop. I have ordered some Fox Arma Mesh to see if that helps, but thought I would share the boilie extension stop idea as it does seem to make a difference to the time you can leave the bait in the water.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007