Why do we bother?

Guest Alan Pearce

Guest mpbdsnu

I suppose they have a living to earn Alan? But some could be deemed 'safe' if isolated from serious risk of spreading the disease. But then I've said that many times before - to be honest, sometimes to convinces myself I think!!! I love to get out there as those lumps will be beginning to stir now it has warmed a few degrees!!!!!!

Apologies accepted mpbdsnu. I'm horrified that ramblers are responsible for leaving gates open and leaving the litter that you mention. I prefer walking (or should that be rambling?) alone, although I did join a group for a couple of walks a few years ago. I didn't enjoy it much though, preferring solitude, but I can assure you that not one member of the group would do any of the things you mention. I'm out of touch with them now but I'm sure that they, and probably all of the rambling groups, have called off all walks for the duration.

On a more positive note, I'm looking forward to being able to fish again when this crisis is over. It's rather like having the closed season back again and I'm sure that when the restrictions are lifted the anticipation and excitement will be just like the glorious 16th again.

Wert

Guest mpbdsnu

Yeah - a good feeling wasn't it? That longing, that waiting and when midnight came - i would have fallen asleep and thought what the heel iv'e got all season, I fish in the morning LOL

Guest Alan Pearce

The way things are looking at the moment I don't think we will be fishing by June 16, hope I'm wrong.

Guest Contender

As a fellow angler and sharer of this planet we call earth I really empathize with you folks over there in the UK. We have to go long periods of time here in Alaska in the winter with limited fishing opportunities but who knows when this mess with foot and mouth disease will be over for you good folks.

------------------

http://home.gci.net/~sacora/

Guest Steve Burke

Hi Contender, thanks for your encouragement.

If you start a new topic introducing yourself you'll be assured of a very warm welcome.

Guest Alan Pearce

I drove through Newmarket this afternoon, no horses out on the gallops but dozens of people walking their dogs. mad.gif

Alan

Guest Fatboy

I run a Scout Troop, and am a reformed golfer.

I gave up golfing because I realised I wasn't enjoying the sport or the comapny half as much as I enjoyed watching the wildlife, and hey, 'natural golf course'?

All that bent and rye grass sown over previously stripped land? All that artificial irrigation? I don't think so.

Most importantly, it was impractical as you couldn't have a beer afterwards because you've got the car keys!

As a Scout, I had an e-mail from www.scoutbase.org.uk this week which effectively tells us that all outdoor scouting should be put on hold until further notice.

Do I call the Samaritans?

Do I open another beer?

Do I continue browsing through Anglersnet?

Proof that this site does work - although I'll take the 2nd and 3rd options together!

Guest John Weddup

I have just heard of a suspected case in Suffolk. They are waiting for the results. It is down too sheep bought from a Northamptonshire market where several cases have been traced back to.

The farmer has obviously known of the risk from early on so why not take action before sighns of infection are showing.

A bit like we have to try and help them in keep the infection local.

Guest Alan Pearce

I noted on last nights late news that MAFF's chief vet said he was shocked and surprised how the F&M outbreak was still spreading and how active it still was. They now expect it too peak at the end of March, (note expect).

I also see the Queen mum went horse racing yesterday, did she go alone, did she f***. We try to help the farming community but what are they doing for themselves. Yesterday I drove to the local farm shop for a chicken and some eggs, at the entrance on the road was a mat soaked in disifectant. Good I thought until I realized the mat was only about 1m wide, with the average car tyre being 2m what the hell good is that, 50% of the tyre will never come into contact. I spoke to the owners and they said they hadn't thought of it and would try to find something else. TRY! they are a busy farm shop in open countryside and even keep a few sheep and pigs themselves. It gets better on the way out there were no precautions anywhere no mats, no straw. no disinfectant nothing, not even a toilet block hanging from the apple tree. When I got home I had to report them, after all I'm giving up my bloody fishing for people like that. mad.gif