Why do we bother?

Guest Alan Pearce

Guest aswhi

Did anyone see the news on sunday morning? There was a rambler being interviewed - yup- she was complete with bobble hat and helly hanson out in the fields talking about how few people there were out rambling and she seemed seriously surprised - if that isn't gross stupidity I don't know what is.....

Guest Bruno Broughton

At least one regional newspaper is running (or is considering running) a name-and-shame page of pictures of dog walkers using footpaths illegally.

To webmaster@qualitybaits. The 'Acton' to which you refer is Acton Trussell, quite close to me (between Stafford and Penkridge), but it is merely a site being investigated, so far. Thought I had better make that clear as some on here might have thought of Acton Burnell.

------------------

Bruno

Guest Alan Pearce

I spoke to MAFF today about this and they seemed surprised but confirmed that they hadn't thought about golf courses. I then mentioned boats on the rivers, these too they said had not been considered, but felt that the EA MAY do something with this. What other activities do you think we should be concerned with?

Guest David Johnson

"they hadn't thought about golf courses"

I can't believe they hadn't thought about Golf courses... pretty obvious really. More likely that MAFF's board of directors didn't want F&M to infere with their weekend plans.

Shame fishing wasn't such a 'power' sport as Golf, we have nothing to fear from the antis.

Guest Leon Roskilly

Talk of culling hedgehogs in infected areas has me worried.

Kent is listed as an infected area, and I've got hedgehogs in my garden.

In fact this year, as in previous years, I've constructed hibernation homes for them in my hedges. And I was out lierally spoon feeding the smaller ones with catfood before the weather got cold.

Should I wait for them to emerge, and hand-feed them one more time, this time with food laced with rat poision? frown.gif

No I just couldn't do it!

And if anyone comes after my hedgehogs.....

I begin to feel a little of what farmers have been going through. Herds that have taken decades to build up, animals that have been reared by hand in some cases, all consigned to a terrible pyre frown.gif

Tight lines - leon

Guest big al

i read in the sunday papers that makin fishery is staying open as they have gravel paths!! .bob nudd column news of the world(i know i like the sport).reaction in some papers today from letters, are we going to far?.they say animals affected recover.and as it is not harmful to us why worry.

i don't know enough to comment but asked maff they asked me to close the lake so close we did.why not a blanket ban then?.why will i face questions about why we closed when lots didn't.i don't care i believe we are totally right and will argue if required.

as for golf clubs etc well what can you say.

irish rugby union called off international with wales fair enough,but why then let people travel backwards and forward surely more people go across and back in a day than attend all the rugby matches.

once again we are let down when we needed a clear policy.cheers big al

Guest John Weddup

Just had an old friend round who lives in my village close to Suffolk Stour. He came to help me drink my beer. Nice too see him, and he guessed I had been working all weekend as when he cycled around the local area, following his wife on her horse (at the weekend) he had seen several notices banning fishing including close to Alan Pearces syndicate water. I had to explain to this otherwise country person who shoots and has lived in the countryside for years that fishing doesn,t spread the disease any more than any other country gathering. It does seem that our speed to help and ban our participation is constrewed as an admittance of being a catalyst for the spread of the desease. I have seen this mentioned on other threads here and today have seen the proof. If an otherwise country person has evaluated the situation as thus how many of those less enlightened town folk would have drawn the same conclusion.

Guest Danny H
Originally posted by Alan Pearce:

What other activities do you think we should be concerned with?

Horse riding, motocross, offroad mountain biking, bird watching, pot holing, fell walking.

The postman?

Guest DerwentBob

According to the BBC news website yesterday the protesters at Huntingdon Life Sciences ignored pleas by the police to postpone their protest until after the F&M outbreak.

Apparently they think that they don't pose any risk eek.gif

Another example of stupidity: a friend of mine owns a farm nearby and has shut all footpaths across the land as have all farms in the locality. He caught a dog-walker who had obviously walked straight past a closure notice who, when questioned relied "No, it's OK really, my dog only eats organic food" mad.gif

This kind of stupidity seems to be at an all time high in this country, no-one accepts authority or advice any more...