A tree question ?

Andrew

Spotted this unusual growth on a tree , do you have any idea what it could be ?

Looks like a birds nest, but no entry hole and the bottom is very hard, ?

DSCF2632.jpg

And another tree with same type of growth

DSCF2631.jpg

Edited by Andrew

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

fungus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fomes_fomentarius

not seen that one myself out and about but plenty of bracket fungus usually on old birch

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

fungus

Very interesting, a useful angling fungus. it is known as Hoof or tinder fungus, Fomes fomentarius usually on birch in Scotland and northern England (yet I found some on birch in Wolverhampton last year). In the south it is more often found on beech and sycamore. It is uncommon and inedible but, as the name suggests can be used as tinder by cutting away the hard outer layer and the pores. The brown material left is then shaved or pounded flat and used as tinder....the brown material is also known as amadou and has remarkable water absorbing properties.....when soaked in washing soda (sodium carbonate, Na2CO3) for a week or two and pounded flat it forms a felt like material that you can use to dry your dry flies with!

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

you can burn the tree as well :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

you can burn the tree as well :D

And tap the sap to make wine :drunk:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

The brown material left is then shaved or pounded flat and used as tinder....the brown material is also known as amadou and has remarkable water absorbing properties.....when soaked in washing soda (sodium carbonate, Na2CO3) for a week or two and pounded flat it forms a felt like material that you can use to dry your dry flies with!

Fascinating stuff! I knew amadou was a fungus, but I had no idea which one or how it was prepared.

Thanks chaps, a mystery solved.

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Thanks chaps, a mystery solved.

Andrew, if it's easily accessible, knock the fungal bodies off the tree and process it, or post it to me ....it's a bit scarce in my area and I practice the dark art sometimes! B)

All,

With a proper section of DEAD tree still attached those "gizzmos" are highly prized in the artist community. A friend who is "crossover" to both communities, fishing and art, put me onto them. I got $100 for three just for picking them up a couple years back.

Phone