Help Choosing Avon Rods !!

Danny K

5 different Avon rods listed at Nimpopo.

You'd do a lot worse than the John Wilson Avon rods produced by Masterline. This has I believe been the best selling rod the in UK by some considerable distance. There are a couple on the range now starting from about £45 up to £120 or so. They're 1.25lb test curve with twin top, some are variable length and some have multiple quiver tips as well.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

I'm going to buy the latest version of John Wilson's avon rod very soon, having had the luck of testing it on a local water by a very generous and helpful angler. It's a beauty, with a 2ft extension allowing you to fish at 11ft or 13ft.

You may, depending on the size of tench you are looking at, want to look at John Wilson's new Barbel Avon rod too. 1.75lb TC, beefier quiver tips, and again i'm sure you can pick one up for something in the region of £75 (although i'm not 100% sure it's available yet: mid-September I think).

I have the jw Avon/Quiver rod, and can highly recommend it, I also fish for tench and it can handle them without any problems. Bite detection is brilliant with 3 quivers and an avon tip you can fish most waters with comfort. I am going to get the jw barbel rod now as well to compliment the quiver rod, I think having both rods will cover most river and stillwater fishing for me.

Danny,

I use the JW avon exclusively for all my barbel,chub and tench fishing and can find no fault with it. I picked it up for £65 last year and for the money l think only the new Shimano Hyperloop's rival it.

Mark

If you are not interested in the quiver tip and just want an Avon rod,have a look here,

http://www.davistackle.co.uk/rods.htm

the Harrison 1lb 6oz TC is a little beauty of a rod.It should be available from many other outlets too,lots of rodbuilders use the same blank.

The Bob James twin tip feeder rod is one of the best 'Avon' style rods I have ever used. It used to be produced by Normark but now I think by Masterline. A little expensive but a superb rod with both an Avon top section and a quiver one. The only thing I don't like is the detachable butt, I much prefer two piece rods. However it is a superb rod and I have taken many tench to over 8lbs on it best 9-09, perch to 4-13, barbel to low doubles and chub to nearly 6lbs.

A good allrounder.

Alan.

I echo what Alan has written. The Bob James rod I handled (the Normark one) had a superb action for tench fishing - much better than the less versatile John Wilson one I was once lucky enough to win.

I liked the quivertip version of the John Wilson, but found the tip on the Avon version far too stiff for my liking, especially for roach and perch. For the same reason I didn't like it for float fishing, which an Avon rod should also be capable of. Having said that the latest versions may be better in this respect.

Of course you often get what you pay for, and until you try something like the Bob James rod you may not realise just what you're missing.

Additionally rods are very personal, especially when it comes down to action. I'd therefore suggest you handle as many rods as possible before choosing one.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net