What Line For Carp Fishing?

Elton

Posted on behalf of Ray. Please add all replies to this thread:

Im just starting to get in to carp fishing and the dream of landing a big fish. The bulk of my fishing is done in lakes that contain fish to 30lb,what strength line would you recomend i use to fish these waters, in case i am lucky enough to hook a fish that size? Most of the fish are between 10 & 20lb do i go down the middle with 15lb line or do i need the beefyer stuff just in case?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

hi ray

the main thing to consider is the type of swims you will be fishing. if you are going to be fishing a swim with alot of snags(overhanging bushes or lily pads) you will need stronger line than if you fish a un-snaggy swim.

as long as you play the fish correctly there is no reason why you cant catch a 30lber on 10lb line.

some fisheries do state that you must use a line of a certain breaking strain. for example one of my locals that holds fish up to about 48lb say you need a minimum of 15lb line.

i would recommend 12lb line as this can deal with situations where a bit of force is needed i.e to steer fish away from snags but also will not be so heavy that you just end up dragging the fish in.

i know that when people start they think how am i going to land a 20lber on 10lb line? as long as play the fish correctly 12lb line is all you need. if there are alot of snags it may be worth putting 15lb line on your spare spools so you can change over without to many problems when you arrive at the water.

hope this helps

enjoy your fishing and i hope you land that dream fish

cheers

in-line

• 2 weeks later...

I use 15lb Krystonite all the time and (like when i fished the waggler) alter my hooklink to suit the day. Many carpers use a 10lb line and a 25lb braided hooklink, i cant get my head around that if i am honest. A 15lb line gives me a right beefy hook and hold line but also means i can use a 1lb (if i so wished) hooklength to present the bait.

As a carper a different type of finesse is required to the days of match fishing with an 8oz bottom on but the same principals apply, the bit that is nearer the fish, worry about, if it is 2 foot from the hook, it matters not a jot.