Zander, Your Veiws.

Lurking Pike

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never caught one so I'm not qualified to comment on fishing for them. But, they sure taste nice! :D

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Never viewed one since they aren't common in the US. We got walleye which look the same but aren't.

I think maybe if you explain what you mean by "our views" you'll get better responses. Cull, kill, stock, catch, eat, what?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I know that the lea valley parks are worried about the introduction of them ( almost certainly illegally) into the River Lea. They view them as a problem as they may affect the fishing for silver fish. I believe that the evidence from other places where they have established themselves is that nature sorts out the balance and reduces the numbers of pike. This means there is the same number of fish predetors. I am not an expert on the subject and it is only what i have read. I caught some really small ones in a farm lake in the south of France and the little devils were taking maggot, funny enough I didn't catch any perch.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

I wouldn't like to get involved with the politics of this subject but tend to agree with Peter Martin. I'm sure nature has a way of controling these things and considering the numbers involved don't see any need for any mass kull. I'm by no means an expert on the subject but having caught zander by accident and by design from the canals in Staffordshire over the years I can say I havn't noticed any reduction in the numbers of silver fish in these waters.

I have read articles about some river stretches that have been "decimated" by zander but really coundn't justify an "educated" opinion on this as my own experiences on these river stretches are strictly limited.

Ant

p.s. I've spoken to anglers that have tried to convince me to "whack 'em on the head and chuck 'em on the bank" but am happy to say they are always carefully unhooked and returned to fight again. Even though I believe I am breaking the law by doing so.

[ 26. May 2003, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: aanthony ]

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Newt:

I think maybe if you explain what you mean by "our views" you'll get better responses.  Cull, kill, stock, catch, eat, what?

I mean your views on what they do to the balance (as mentioned)and what shall we do if they are causeing an unbalanced.

Lurking Pike:

I mean your views on what they do to the balance (as mentioned)and what shall we do if they are causeing an unbalanced.

Depends a bit on your definition of balance. It may causes an initial imbalance in the water but after a few years the predator and prey will balance out to whatever nature decides is the right balance. Unfortunately what nature and man see as 'balance' is often completely different. The biggest difference I think you'll see is an upsurge of poor anglers blaming zander rather than themselves for their inability to catch :D

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.