Zander, Your Veiws.

Lurking Pike

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've caught a 5lb 12oz Zander off the warwickshire avon. i didn't break the law because it swallowed the hook too far down and died. it swallowed the hook too far down because it played about with it first.i wasn't expecting a zander so i treated it like a small pike.

How anyone could even think of killing such a majestic & beutifull creature beats the hell out of me??

I love the zeds, when the rumors about them being in the Sow first started up a mate & me were down there every chance we got trying to get them but never had or even saw one :(

Nature will always find her own balance, thats the way its been since time began so why should we interfere with it?

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

quote:

Even though I believe I am breaking the law by doing so.

I didn't know that...Not that I've ever caught one in this country so I'll still be able to sleep tonight. If I ever do catch one though It'll be going back even though I'm a great believer in playing by the rules. A bit of a poser this one...! :confused:

Paul

Yes it is a law. not a general law yet though. The EA where doing a survey on whether it should be a law or not I do not know the results. And my fishing association the B.A.A.(Birmingham Angler's Association) forbid returning Zeds. Are there any B.A.A. member's on here? If so please reply.

Lurking Pike

That's a worrying stance by BAA as they have recently acquired a stretch of the canal that I mentioned holds zander.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Pretty depressing that such short-sighted views still exist.

I've had zeds to 12lb 10oz and they look quite awesome in the light of a headtorch as they come towards the net.

There were illegal stockings in a number of lakes in my part of the world in the seventies and what followed was a temporary explosion of small zeds which very soon stabilised (2-3 years) with no adverse effect to the fisheries. To this day all produce good match results with all stages of fish represented. If anything, it is the predator balance that alters as nature settles things down.

If you get a chance, fish for them, they are very impressive fish when you see them close up.