Carping or Camping

Guest lofc

Guest lofc

Yesterday I visited my local pits a couple of minutes from home for a few hours fishing, I arrived at around 5am and to my surprise a van was parked up, this is very unusual on this particular pit as a rule I am the only one fishing it especially at that early hour, being Cambridgeshire there is no shortage of available water.

The only carpers I have encountered before have been quiet observant people that like to have a chat and see whats been caught and to find out what you may have seen.They tend to have a good look round then set up their gear well back from the water and go about their business in a quiet efficient manner then when done pack up and leave, you would hardly know they had been there.

Now I have seen the other type,what a waste of time, More gear than a tackle shop, shouting at each other as loud as possible, casting to the horizon with massive leads and no shockleaders, rubbish everywhere. It`s no wonder that they blank, no self respecting fish would come within range of these lunatics and I dread to think what would happen to any poor fish they did manage to hook,however unlikely.

My main point is why do they buy so much expensive kit,bait,tickets etc when they would have a much better and cheaper time on any commercial campsite, as they obviously have no interest in fishing.

I don`t expect an answer on here, but has anyone got any clue to this strange behaviour.

Yours puzzled

lofc

[This message has been edited by lofc (edited 28 May 2001).]

Guest IanG

Your concept of fishing is not shared by everyone-doesn't make em wrong-just to be avoided by you (and me).

Guest DerwentBob

I was amazed at my local water on Friday when a flotilla of carp wheelbarrow thingies came trundling down the path behind me. The first three were full of the usual gear but the fourth contained so much beer that I can't imagine how four people could drink it in even a three day weekend. They then proceeded to decorate the trees with 4oz leads and boilies. A "real" carp angler came up to me after an hour or so and explained that the F&M is creating a greater concentration of these types who are putting off as many "real" carp anglers as they are other anglers.

I was only there up to dusk so I don't know what havoc they wreaked during the night. I'm going down this week with my tree-climbing boots, there's a good haul of expensive lead to he claimed...

Guest Chris Plumb

My own encounters with these types have been few, thank gawd!!, though that's mainly due to the fact I spend the majority of my angling is on running water.

One notable encounter was a couple of years ago when a couple of 'anglers' turned up with 2 wheelbarrows each (they made return trips to their car) and spent over 2 hours setting up their 'stall'.

Best comedy moment was seeing them take run ups to cast their leads across the lake for one of them to slip and nearly fall in!!! Thing is they were casting 80m to the far bank when it would have been just as easy to walk round there and with a bit of stealth and guile fish the margins from the same bank not the one opposite!! The actions effectively stopped nearly a third of this small pit being fished without tangling their lines.

It was a quiet day - being early March and I was the only other angler on the lake but of course they chose the swim next to mine to display all their tackle before, after 4 hours of biteless whinging they spent he next 2 hours packing up!! Thus spending less thena 50% of the time actually wetting a line!!

Still - just think what dire straights the tackle trade would be in without folks like these!!!!

Chris

Guest OregonDave

Somehow I missed this one earlier - probably due to confuser problems or me being confused with my 'puter. I'd like to think the former.

An awful lot of folks invade Oregon during the Summer, and act just about like described. They don't do much fishing though, they are too busy aiming their RV's (caravans?) down the road to the next "scenic spot", run their generators at night to run their air conditioning, stereos, TeeWee's, talk too loud, let their dogs run everywhere (and make their deposits where you step), etc., etc., etc. They eventually go away, and leave their money behind. Bless them all! We get our state back for another nine months, and are the richer for their visit.

I do all of my "touring" by bicycle now. This can get a little exhausting (at 54), as well as having moments of pure fear when one of those RV's seems bent on bending me against a guard rail on Hwy 101.

By all means, come to Oregon for a holiday, but come in September or October. The weather is cooler, and so are the tempers of Oregonians like me. If any of you want to do a bit of bike touring, drop me an E-mail.

Nope, I ain't paid by the tourist board for this.